Notices

Slight delay when starting up my car

Old 02-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slight delay when starting up my car

Every morning when I start up my motor, I turn the key and it takes about 2 to 3 seconds before the car actually cranks...it eventually starts but once in a while it wouldnt do anything so luckily I'm parked on an incline and I just push/roll start it. I'm guessing my ignition switch is going bad...anyone else have or had this problem?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Slight delay when starting up my car (EF_LSVtec)

i've had this problem on different occassions, sometimes when im parked on a hill or if i turn the key too fast or too hard. It's embarrassing sometimes. I'll just sit there for a a couple minutes, so i dont flood the cylinders. Or sometimes it justs cranks and wont turn over. I dont know what to tell you, except ive experienced it also.

-Anthony
Old 02-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when my ignition switch was going bad, it would start and then die right away, then one day when i was almost hoem it died and would start back up. Did it do this with your stock battery too? or just your small one?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight delay when starting up my car (88CiViC_DX)

my car does the same ****! sometimes it takes up to 5 seconds for it to start cranking.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight delay when starting up my car (t0eKnEe)

Anybody here figure out this problem yet? My car is starting to do this all the time now, and sometimes needs to be push started. I even jumpstarted the car and there was still a delay but it eventually started. Gonna try to finger this problem out now.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:03 PM

could be your main relay? maybe a bad distributor?
Old 03-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Project_ED8)

if it starts when you push it it could be ur ignition switch. same thing happened on my 88 LX. i had to wiggle the key to get it started. so in the end i just put a push button start on it. just go to home depot and pick up a switch. then wire it in to the black/white and white wires at the switch (i think double check that) and whenever u push it the starter will crank. but it will only start if you have the key in 2. if it still delays then its not the ignition switch
Old 03-14-2004, 09:34 PM

I have this problem....most times the car will start to crank right away when the key is turned, but sometimes it takes a second or two. But I notice sometimes that when the delay starts to get longer and longer after consecutive starts that it will not start. So I tap on the starter and it starts right up (I had this same problem on my previous car, bang the starter and it would start). So it may be your starter.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kevin B
I have this problem....most times the car will start to crank right away when the key is turned, but sometimes it takes a second or two. But I notice sometimes that when the delay starts to get longer and longer after consecutive starts that it will not start. So I tap on the starter and it starts right up (I had this same problem on my previous car, bang the starter and it would start). So it may be your starter.

Did we ever find out this problem. I too having this problem, but on my 93 da. Some days the car starts perfect the other day it delays to turn on, bad days it doesn't start and I have to push start it to get going. Once this happens then it usually starts good for a couple of days and then starts delaying again. delaying 1-5 seconds before it starts.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight delay when starting up my car

My 01 Acura Integra GSR also had the same issue - A random/intermittent delay between turning my ignition key and cranking. Sometimes, even often times it wouldnt even crank, it would just click. It's been bugging me for about 1 year - I've replaced my starter, battery, checked and upgraded my engine, tranny and battery grounds - I even tried replacing the starter cut relay and main fuel pump relay. None of that fixed the problem, so I started checking my alarm system wiring and ignition switch and ignition switch wires. I already bought a new ignition switch assembly - and when I took it apart to replace it, I noticed one wire going from my alarm system to one of the ignition switch wires going to my starter feed was loose - I tugged on it and it pulled right out. I'm pretty sure that was the source of my issue, but I replaced the ignition switch assembly anyway. Guys - if you're honda has an alarm system, check to see if the wires between the alarm and ignition switch harness are loose/corroded. It's been over 2 months since I replaced my ignition switch and I soldered the alarm system wires back on - and I've had no more issues since.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Slight delay when starting up my car

Originally Posted by EF_LSVtec
Every morning when I start up my motor, I turn the key and it takes about 2 to 3 seconds before the car actually cranks...it eventually starts but once in a while it wouldnt do anything so luckily I'm parked on an incline and I just push/roll start it. I'm guessing my ignition switch is going bad...anyone else have or had this problem?
This started happenning to me right before my battery died.
Check your ground wires