Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   short ram/cold air intakes. few questions (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/short-ram-cold-air-intakes-few-questions-2744265/)

michael-crxsi 03-15-2010 08:09 PM

short ram/cold air intakes. few questions

are they even safe to use? i was reading somewhere, cant find the link right now, that even with a good filter they suck in larger dirt particles than a stock air box filter.

i have some random in take i got off a friend free but the filter is old so i cant to get a new on. what is a good one to use? its a 2" 1/2' piping.

Staypuff578 03-15-2010 08:39 PM

Re: short ram/cold air intakes. few questions

Any filter is gonna some amounts of dirt in so dont worry too much. For the intake question i would say start fresh with something like aem cold air or short ram

michael-crxsi 03-16-2010 08:57 AM

isnt the tubing i have fine? i really dont see much different in the AEM piping and lets say the ebay ones.

ryanevansoh 03-16-2010 12:25 PM

ya piping is piping for the intake. just get an aem of k&n filter

michael-crxsi 03-16-2010 08:17 PM

does K&N make a filter with a 2 1/2 inch opening? i couldnt find one

puertoricanboy90 03-16-2010 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ryanevansoh (Post 41887656)
ya piping is piping for the intake. just get an aem of k&n filter

WRONG! lol hehe

MAP sensor based motors [such as Hondas] rely on a very specific metering rate of air into the intake manifold. The map sensor uses pressure differentials from the manifold to generate small amounst of current with a piezo resistive crystal. What I am trying to say is that if you use intake tubing that was not meant for that vehicle [or sh*t that was made poorly] then you alter the rate and movement of the air entering the manifold. By altering this flow, the MAP sensor may have a hard time regulating the A/F ratio efficiently.

tonyali02 03-19-2010 05:45 PM

I've been looking into getting a shorty for a while now, and I just want to know what's the best mid-ranged one to get, price wise. I've been looking at a AEM for $130, but I heard about some for $100-$105.

Please help me out, and I'm not partial to Ebay for car parts, because you never know what your gonna get, Thanks

michael-crxsi 03-20-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by puertoricanboy90 (Post 41892060)
WRONG! lol hehe

MAP sensor based motors [such as Hondas] rely on a very specific metering rate of air into the intake manifold. The map sensor uses pressure differentials from the manifold to generate small amounst of current with a piezo resistive crystal. What I am trying to say is that if you use intake tubing that was not meant for that vehicle [or sh*t that was made poorly] then you alter the rate and movement of the air entering the manifold. By altering this flow, the MAP sensor may have a hard time regulating the A/F ratio efficiently.

but the crx does not have a sensor that goes in to the intake pipe

Staypuff578 03-20-2010 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by michael-crxsi (Post 41928782)
but the crx does not have a sensor that goes in to the intake pipe

The map sensor is generally on the throttle body

D16SiHatch 03-20-2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Staypuff578 (Post 41928909)
The map sensor is generally on the throttle body

not on stock 88-91 obd0 vehicles it's not.

Originally Posted by puertoricanboy90 (Post 41892060)
WRONG! lol hehe

map sensors get there readings by measuring the difference between atmospheric pressure, and vacuum inside the intake manifold. atmospheric pressure is determined by a sensor mounted near the pass. side kick panel. whether you run an expensive aem intake, whalepenis, pvc pipe lowes intake, or no intake at all, your car and map sensor could care less.

michael-crxsi 03-21-2010 01:06 PM

Another question. Do the mess up your gas miliage? Does it help does it not help or does it not even make any difference?

civicflow 03-21-2010 01:19 PM

The intake should help with gas mileage.

And I think Puertoricanboy90 is thinking of MAF sensors which some of the newer hondas use.