Okay, story made as short as possible:

Motor swap to B16A from D15B2.
Hectic shake
Replaced passenger side CV
Shake was better, still noticeable under left hand turns
Replaced driver side CV
shake was temporarily gone
Left turn shake is back

The shake is definitely from my driver side axle. However, what is causing my axle to go bad so quickly is the mystery. I believe I may have 'no name' engine mounts. I believed them to be older HASport or AVID motor mounts when I purchased the motor. I was probably fooled, that's my fault for being new. However, would that cause my issue? Could my half shaft be faulty? Would a bad wheel bearing cause my axle to go bad so quickly?

Please note: The issue was 100% fixed when the axle was replaced. I just need to determine the root of axle failure.

Thank you. I hope this clears up some of the responses on this thread. I have updated this original post 4+ times over the past 10 months.

Last edited by Freemananana; 07-23-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Shaking issue and CV clearance

I'll bump this up and I will call them tomorrow most likely. It's not the worst problem I've ever had but I don't want to go to the strip with my car doing this.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

More info please!

What mounts?
What year and model car are the axles for?
What front knuckles do you have on and did you remove the dust rings?
Are you lowered - if so, how far?

Wheels should spin easily when up in the air and in neutral.
It shouldn't keep on spinning like the rears would, but it shouldn't fight you when spinning the fronts.

Last edited by 4drEF; 09-23-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
More info please!

What mounts?
What year and model car are the axles for?
What front knuckles do you have on and did you remove the dust rings?
Are you lowered - if so, how far?

Wheels should spin easily when up in the air and in neutral.
It shouldn't keep on spinning like the rears would, but it shouldn't fight you when spinning the fronts.
HASport mounts.
DA Integra Axles and Knuckles with removed dust rings
Stock ride height

The fronts don't spin freely. I'm not expecting a bicycle tire here, but it's pretty tough from what I remember. I'll check again tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Originally Posted by Freemananana
HASport mounts.
DA Integra Axles and Knuckles with removed dust rings
Stock ride height

The fronts don't spin freely. I'm not expecting a bicycle tire here, but it's pretty tough from what I remember. I'll check again tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Looks like you have all the right parts - assuming you have the correct intermediate shaft.
I kind of wonder how it would spin with the axle removed and maybe just spinning the axle in the trans.

Only thing lI can figure a brake piston locking up? wheel bearing on it's way out? Or transmission really not acting right?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you have all the right parts - assuming you have the correct intermediate shaft.
I kind of wonder how it would spin with the axle removed and maybe just spinning the axle in the trans.

Only thing lI can figure a brake piston locking up? wheel bearing on it's way out? Or transmission really not acting right?
I did buy the knuckles second hand. I don't really think I have an axle problem. (intermediate shaft is all good too) I will see if removing brake pressure to the front pistons makes a difference. But I remember putting them on and there was plenty of room.

The wheel bearing could be the culprit. I have no real experience with them. But what would you say constitutes a transmission not acting right? It shifts smooth through all 5 and reverse. I was actually surprised that 3rd didn't grind at all. I'll admit I have to give it a little more gas than I did in my D15 to get it to go, but I think that is the ACT clutch. It just grips faster so there isn't as much 'play' in releasing the pedal. So I usually rev a little more verses letting it stumble and bog in 1st.

Any tips on checking for a bad wheel bearing? I'll start researching now.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:04 AM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had a simile problem where we put in a wrong axle. Had an extra only lying around and decided to put it in. bolted in fine but caused all sorts of vibration at low speeds. not sure what car it was for.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
i've had a simile problem where we put in a wrong axle. Had an extra only lying around and decided to put it in. bolted in fine but caused all sorts of vibration at low speeds. not sure what car it was for.
Well. You are saying it was the wrong axle you put in. I'm pretty sure this is the right one. I may try a new axle anyways. Mine doesn't happen at low speeds, only at high speeds. Or high-er-ish at least.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jack the wheel at the corner of the wheel bearing in question up off the ground. Grab the top and the bottom (12 o'clock & 6 o'clock) of the tire and try to wiggle it by pulling and pushing in opposing directions from top to bottom. If there is any play (ie the wheel feels like it is moving independantly of the suspension/knuckle) then most likely your wheel bearing is shot.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Creator
Jack the wheel at the corner of the wheel bearing in question up off the ground. Grab the top and the bottom (12 o'clock & 6 o'clock) of the tire and try to wiggle it by pulling and pushing in opposing directions from top to bottom. If there is any play (ie the wheel feels like it is moving independantly of the suspension/knuckle) then most likely your wheel bearing is shot.
A ha! I have heard that before. I'll get on that... tomorrow. Since my pops is parked in the car port and I don't feel like moving both cars twice just to jack my car up. Plus, it's raining.

But thanks. I'll try that and post back my results.

Also, update. Took it up to 70? Didn't feel nearly as bad today. It's sort of hit or miss. Also, I spun the drivers side wheel with a little effort. Not as hard as I remember, but it does feel like it's easier to spin in some spots than others. Even in neutral.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright. Is this normal? I don't think the suspension should flex when my wheel rotates. The cv axle is torn up. It wasn't like that when I put it on either.

LINK:
Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Track Advocate

is that the right axle? seems like it could be too long
Old 09-26-2013, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
is that the right axle? seems like it could be too long
Sure is. That's what I may be leading towards. My motor has HASport mounts. (That sounds funny has has haha) Anyways, so I know it should sit fine. What axle do you reccommend? I will probably pull this one and replace it. But I have to get it done over a weekend because this is my daily.

The other side, half shaft and axle, went into the knuckle MUCH easier than this side. I had a hard time aligning this side to the upper control arm and getting the axle in.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could I have put my axles on the wrong side? I have read that the splines are shorter on the passenger side. Maybe something isn't right.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From the video, I can't think of anything except the axle that would cause that kind of movement in the suspension. Replace it.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Creator
From the video, I can't think of anything except the axle that would cause that kind of movement in the suspension. Replace it.
Yup. Getting an OEM one online. Can't really drive to the yard to pull one. But for $40, I'll just buy one that someone else ripped off a car.

I got to find out why the axle did what it did though. Very strange.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Update?

Never read what intermediate shaft you have.
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=13024
Old 10-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update?

Never read what intermediate shaft you have.
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=13024
Still haven't found a solution to my issue. It still shakes and I am looking into which axles I have. I thought they were SiR axles. I've always said they were DA teg axles though. I will crawl under the car and look at the half shaft. My passenger side is the issue though. If I had SiR axles, one would have been about an inch shorter, right? Maybe I got them on the wrong side without even noticing.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if you ever got a chance to check what intermediate shaft you have?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRSCEP3
Just wondering if you ever got a chance to check what intermediate shaft you have?
I haven't been under the car. It doesn't shake until 35+ and I only work a mile away from home so I just take it slow on the back roads. It runs and I haven't jacked up the car and got under it to look.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PLEASE get an oem one, rebuild it and install it, should solve this problem, have the same combo in 2 cars, never had this happen. good luck and let us know. BTW get both if u can rebuild then install. done
dave
Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by smilindave
PLEASE get an oem one, rebuild it and install it, should solve this problem, have the same combo in 2 cars, never had this happen. good luck and let us know. BTW get both if u can rebuild then install. done
dave
It's a swapped motor, so they are OEM integra half shaft/axles. They may be SiR axles though, that was my only worry. But I am nearly positive they are 90-93 DA Integra axles and half shaft.

I'm quick to give advice, but when it comes to fixing things of my own it takes a little bit longer.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

An update and a slight change.

I replaced that axle and the vibration is much better. Now I get a similar vibration when I turn left at 25+ MPH (Long turns, I'm not driving like a mad man). Maybe my other axle needs to be replaced? I also loaded the car up (5 people) and it was vibrating much worse at all speeds.

By myself, the vibration is only left turns. With about 1000 lbs it vibrates at 35 MPH constantly. I may have some axle binding on the other side too.

Maybe these were just the wrong axles from the get go...?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:24 AM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had issues when i bought aftermarket replacement axles, turns out they were slightly thicker and were hitting when turning left. It was causing crazy vibrations that progressively worsened as the driveshaft wore out.

Took me ages to figure out what the problem was because when the car was jacked up the clearance between the axle and where it was hitting looked fine, haha.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input. I'll change out the other side this weekend if I can get to it. Hopefully it is just a shady axle gone bad.

Is it AutoZone or Advanced Discount Auto parts that has life time axles? Or both? Or O'Reillys? I have all 3, and I'm not kidding, at the same intersection.

Last edited by Freemananana; 07-09-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaking issue and CV clearance