Sedan Owners....do you have excessive wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sedan Owners....do you have excessive wind noise?

All four of my doors seem to not seal entire secure against the body of the car, up at the top....the window sections.

Upon inspection, it seems as if the entire section from the bottom of the window to the top kind of bows out, away from the car; instead of towards the car to make a tight seal. My friends sedan looks like this too.

It would seem to me that if I could nudge the tops of each door in a little bit [which I know I can, they're not that sturdy], the weatherstripping would make MUCH better contact with the body and cut down on the noise excessively.

Also if I could get the doors to latch more firmly against the body, it would be good. This seems to be a problem on every EF I've owned, though. Even the hatchbacks. Honda seemed to have solved this in 92+, because the doors shut and latch very convincingly.

Any of you sedan owners know what I'm talking about with the seals not meeting the body good enough?
Old 03-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nobody has this problem? That's surprising; my car has never been wrecked and all the cars I've seen at the junkyard look exactly the same.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

What year is the car? I've got a '90 and I don't have that problem at all.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kappa12)

I've got a '91, and so does my friend. Every one I've seen at the junkyards from 88-91 seem to have the same problem with the back doors.

The weatherstripping that goes all the way around the window (at the top only) doesn't completely and fully meet the body. I can see daylight when I'm looking into the doorjamb; probably only a few mm at the most, but it's still there.

The weatherstripping meets very good all the rest of the way around the door, but around the windows seems to be a problem.

I'm going to try to bend the upper most portion of the door inwards a little towards the body to see if I can make up the difference of the gap. I'm sure it won't be too hard of a procedure.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:30 PM

i have an 89 and have never experienced this problem
Old 03-29-2004, 01:26 AM

Default ODE to the sedan owners....question for u guys.

did any ever come with power windows? if so, would the regulator fit for a 88-91 crx?? sorry i posted in wrong section...
Old 03-29-2004, 05:00 AM

Have either of the cars ever been wrecked? It sounds like the frame might be a little tweaked.

That's a strange problem though. I wish I could offer more help. Good luck getting it resolved

Edit: Nevermind, I see you said you car's never been wrecked....I'm stumped.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kappa12)

I have always complained about wind noise, but I never decided to look at the weather stripping surrounding the door. I always thought it was the stripping around the windows. I'll give it a look at lunch and tell you if I see the same thing.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dr_latino999)

Neither one of my cars have that problem, the only wind noise I hear is on my EX driver side mirror, need to tighten it down I suppose.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dr_latino999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have always complained about wind noise, but I never decided to look at the weather stripping surrounding the door. I always thought it was the stripping around the windows. I'll give it a look at lunch and tell you if I see the same thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, take a look around the doors....the weatherstriping that should make contact with the doorjambs with the doors closed.

The easiest way to see it is to have the rear doors closed, open the front doors, and look at the top of the door standing by the front seats. I can see about 1-2mm of space...tiny, but there nonetheless.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sedan Owners....do you have excessive wind noise? (Jonathan_EH)

i saw a tip on one of the spike tv shows that might help you. they laid some type of a dried silicon or something behind the stripping. it pushed the stripping out enough to make a better seal. let me know if this helps.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ODE to the sedan owners....question for u guys. (projektCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projektCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did any ever come with power windows? if so, would the regulator fit for a 88-91 crx?? sorry i posted in wrong section... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Many had power windows. They're easy to find in a junkyard. As far as fitment, just pull it while you're at the yard and see if it fits a CRX/Civic while you're there.

Junkyards are perfect for trial and error

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coot_er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i saw a tip on one of the spike tv shows that might help you. they laid some type of a dried silicon or something behind the stripping. it pushed the stripping out enough to make a better seal. let me know if this helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was actually thinking about doing something similiar to this. If I can't get the doors to bend in very slightly at the top, I'll do something like that. I don't know the best product to use just yet, but I'm sure I can find something at Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Sedan Owners....do you have excessive wind noise? (Jonathan_EH)

This may or may not be of any use to you. I don't have the wind noise so I have never had to do this myself.

Roll up all the windows and then turn the car on and then turn the heater/AC fan on inside the car. Get out of the car and shut the doors. Take a mechanics stethoscope or a length of tubing to your ear and go around the winddows and door seams to listen for the air. It will make a hissing sound when you find the spot that is leaking.

If it's the window then your weather stripping in there probably has to be replaced. Make sure it's in good condition and also make sure that your window is closing all the way.

If it's the door seam make sure the door seal is in good condition and also make sure that your door is closing all the way. Maybe go for a drive and pull on the door to see if you can get the noise to stop. If it stop and there is play in the door then reset your striker plate. If the noise it's only in one particular spot then you can put some foam or something inside or behind the stripping to build it up and seal the stripping in that point. You don't need to add silicone or whatever to the front of the seal - that will just make a sticky mess. If you notice the leak along a good percentage of the top of the door then you can usually bend the top of the door a little and it seals up.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the reply.

Like in your last sentence, the leak is only along the top portion of the door...I don't know why!

The door itself is striking properly, and thoroughly. All of the weatherstripping except for around the window sections is meeting very good.

I think my best option is to just try to bend the upper most portion of the doors inwards towards the car.

The only thing I'm afraid of is bending the door in too much, and the front and the rear doors not being 'flush' against eachother at the B pillar.

I'll try to get some pics for you guys, since I seem to be the only one with the problem.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: ODE to the sedan owners....question for u guys. (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Many had power windows. They're easy to find in a junkyard. As far as fitment, just pull it while you're at the yard and see if it fits a CRX/Civic while you're there.

Junkyards are perfect for trial and error
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey! thanks for replying, yah i have to go to like pull a part er something. thank you agian!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 04:20 PM
BANNED

Default Re: ODE to the sedan owners....question for u guys. (projektCRX)

crazy never heard of this problem before

u must be lucky both of u guys

but also good luck finding out that answer and hope u fix it
Old 03-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried out my idea on my rear doors....worked great!

But now I've established that there's a slight noise at the drivers mirror. No biggie, I'll fix that when I convert to power mirrors next week.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's weird to hear that nobody else has the problem, but me and my friend both do.