Notices

Running engine without valve cover question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running engine without valve cover question?

A quick question....

I just want to make sure before i actually do this.

Is it safe to run the engine without the valve cover on? Not to drive but to check out the internals. There is some major clicking going on in my buddy's d16 engine, and it isnt the fuel injectors. It sounds like the rockers are hitting something.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Running engine without valve cover question? (compprat)

yes, it is safe, but be prepared to have oil everywhere
Old 06-13-2006, 01:04 PM

ok the above may be a little stupid, i just want to know if its possible. Could i possibly lift up the front end of the car up, put it in nuetral and turn the wheels by hand?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

cover everything else with plastic trashbags first
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil is going to be flying everywhere, one time i left my oil cap off, the underside of my hood was covered with oil.

i'd pray nothing brakes while its off and running.
Honda-Tech Member

do it and post pics

... jk
oil needs to get to the top of the head to lubricate the cams, etc. Running the engine without a valve cover would be a HUGE mess and potentially damaging to the engine since you're gonna lose most of your oil
Old 06-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (compprat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by compprat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could i possibly lift up the front end of the car up, put it in nuetral and turn the wheels by hand?</TD></TR></TABLE>
you won't be able to turn the engine over by turning the wheels, unless you can somehow turn them both at the same time, due to the differential
Old 06-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not just do a valve adjustment and see if that fixes the problem. You could also turn the motor at the crank if you wanted but it won't be exactly easy.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by compprat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could i possibly lift up the front end of the car up, put it in nuetral and turn the wheels by hand?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can put the front of the car on jackstands, and turn the crank pulley slowly with a socket wrench/breakerbar and watch the cam/rocker to see if anything is hitting under there. Take the spark plugs out to make rotating it easier.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:26 PM

aight thanks guys, if i do start the engine with the valve cover off ill post a video lol, hes running no headers also LOL what a noob.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oil won't be too bad if it just idling - just have some rags ready to wipe it off
Old 06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jlicrx)

just turn the motor with a wrench on the crank pulley. you can see the valve train move that way.

the mess will be pretty bad

not to mention you said hs is running the car with out a header which im guessing you mean without an exhaust manifold on it too which would stand a very good chance of warping the valves
Old 06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (little white crx)

no header and no valve cover?

oh please, get that video!!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jlicrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlicrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oil won't be too bad if it just idling - just have some rags ready to wipe it off </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you done this before? Just curious.

When my engine is cold, and I start it up, I have 75 psi of oil pressure. I CAN'T imagine it would be easy to control all of that oil with a few rags...

Then again, I've never done it, or would I want to. Just turn the motor over by hand.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STREETWERKZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
oh please, get that video!!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Might have to get a new head while you're at it, with the risk you run of destroying some valves It would probably shoot some good flames out of the ports, though ...
Old 06-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr_CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you done this before? Just curious.

When my engine is cold, and I start it up, I have 75 psi of oil pressure. I CAN'T imagine it would be easy to control all of that oil with a few rags...

Then again, I've never done it, or would I want to. Just turn the motor over by hand.

Might have to get a new head while you're at it, with the risk you run of destroying some valves It would probably shoot some good flames out of the ports, though ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea I can't imagine it either. My engine runs at 1-1.5k when starting so I wonder how fast the cams are spinning.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Running engine without valve cover question? (CRX Toad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not just do a valve adjustment and see if that fixes the problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (michaelOlson)

cmon mike the tach runs off the distributor and the distributor runs off da camchaf so if ur tach says 1500 then ur camshaft is turning 1500rpms.

the crank is spinning at 3k though. haha when u redline it its spinning at 14000 wow i just thought about that.

running the engine without the valve cover is ok. it will make a mess but you wont lose "most of your oil" the cam spinning will just sling it everywhere i would recommend listening with the valve cover on. determine where the sound is coming from. then take off the rocker shaft assembly and look for any obvious wear. but before u do all that check ur valve adjustment. get one of those stethoscope dealies they work well.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91civicEX)

get an exhaust that maybe y your ticking. no back presure
Old 06-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my zc valvetrain ticks a small amount.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Re: (vteckillenzc)

I admit to having run without valve cover... and yes it makes a terrible mess... even at idle.

I also admit that i once caught a car on fire because i forgot the oil cap... and burning oil isn't easy to put out... and getting burnt and losing a car isn't fun.... just a warning to ya.

Oh... and with no header... you're asking for a fire since you'll have flames spitting directly out of the engine... and into an oily mess. don't do that. Not to mention that running with no header is hell on the valves since there's is zero back pressure as well as hell on the entire head.. since you've basically have a huge air leak, and air leaks are where heat rises, because there is no volume pulling the heat away and out the tailpipe.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cmon mike the tach runs off the distributor and the distributor runs off da camchaf so if ur tach says 1500 then ur camshaft is turning 1500rpms.

the crank is spinning at 3k though. haha when u redline it its spinning at 14000 wow i just thought about that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha man I dunno how them dang elektroniks and gages work all I know is that stuff spins.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cmon mike the tach runs off the distributor and the distributor runs off da camchaf so if ur tach says 1500 then ur camshaft is turning 1500rpms.

the crank is spinning at 3k though. haha when u redline it its spinning at 14000 wow i just thought about that.

running the engine without the valve cover is ok. it will make a mess but you wont lose "most of your oil" the cam spinning will just sling it everywhere i would recommend listening with the valve cover on. determine where the sound is coming from. then take off the rocker shaft assembly and look for any obvious wear. but before u do all that check ur valve adjustment. get one of those stethoscope dealies they work well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you cant be serious?

it seems as thought everyone giving advice has done this before. I wouldnt do it, but I would do a hardcore visual inspection on your valvetrain