Notices

Ring end gap info needed asap, checking them now and i think im fucked...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring end gap info needed asap, checking them now and i think im fucked...

hey everyone.. i need some serious help, im begining the rebuild of my D16Z6

im useing standard bore vitara pistons with hastings rings and my end gap is .025 on all the bottom rings and .024 on all the top rings, is this useable?

i've been told honda spec is .012-.024, and i've also been told that for FI applications a bigger gap is somewhat desireable.. if anyone could help me out i'd really appriate it
Old 06-30-2006, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Ring end gap info needed asap, checking them now and i think im fucked... (WolfGod)

the suggested specs are: top compression ring .008 - .012, service limit .024; second compression ring .010 - .018, service limit .028. and i don't remember the bottom but those you don't have to worry AS much about cuz those are just the oil rings, i mean don't get me wrong, its important to have them close, but you won't lose compression over those, but yea it sounds like you need to go to .020 over pistons
Old 07-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ring end gap info needed asap, checking them now and i think im fucked... (nappyroots827)

anyone else have any advice? the pistons are in the car now anyway since i cant afford to get another block or bore and buy new pistons so i'll rebuild again later if need be
Old 07-02-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Ring end gap info needed asap, checking them now and i think im fucked... (WolfGod)

dude, its really not worth it, cuz its never gonna last and your gonna lose compression like crazy....If your going to rebuild it down the road, why not just hold off till you have the money and do it right the first time...

I just can't stand when people take shortcuts because they don't have the money or don't feel like doing the extra work and they say they'll rebuild it again down the road....why not just do it the right way the first time...
Old 07-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ring end gap info needed asap, checking them now and i think im fucked... (nappyroots827)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nappyroots827 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the suggested specs are: top compression ring .008 - .012, service limit .024; second compression ring .010 - .018, service limit .028. and i don't remember the bottom but those you don't have to worry AS much about cuz those are just the oil rings, i mean don't get me wrong, its important to have them close, but you won't lose compression over those, but yea it sounds like you need to go to .020 over pistons</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea .024 is way too much. did you get standard size pistons? did you hone it? if you didnt hone and the rings have .024 end gap i dont know if they will even seat. go .020 over and get new pistons mang
Old 07-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Ring end gap info needed asap, checking them now and i think im fucked... (91civicEX)

When I rebuilt mine, the gaps were about like yours.....just a little too wide.

Piston-to-wall clearance was right, just the rings were too small for some reason.

Bought oversized rings (from JE), filed them down some, they fit the bill
Old 07-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nappyroots827 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, its really not worth it, cuz its never gonna last and your gonna lose compression like crazy....If your going to rebuild it down the road, why not just hold off till you have the money and do it right the first time...

I just can't stand when people take shortcuts because they don't have the money or don't feel like doing the extra work and they say they'll rebuild it again down the road....why not just do it the right way the first time...</TD></TR></TABLE>

give me the money to do it or shut your mouth asshat

i have a job i need to get to 200 miles away and i need my car now, i cant wait, im not being lazy or takeing a short cut, i simply cant afford the down time anymore right now, once im out there and get a little more cash i can and it will be done better

the manual says .024 is the service limit, which means its barely within spec and will work for now, thats all i care about right now, i have a kid, a fiance and ******* bills and this car has already cost me an assload more then i wanted it too

simple point is, its my car, it's been down for over a month, and i need it now, so it will be redone right later, i really couldnt give a **** less if you think i should wait

i asked for opinions on the ring end gap, not what urks you, if you have nothing usefull to add to this thread then try to drop horse **** somewhere else

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea .024 is way too much. did you get standard size pistons? did you hone it? if you didnt hone and the rings have .024 end gap i dont know if they will even seat. go .020 over and get new pistons mang</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had over $500 of machine work done includeing a hone, they should seat fine, it'll just feel like a slightly worn build after break in

at 20psi i doubt it will matter much anyway
Old 07-02-2006, 08:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WolfGod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i had over $500 of machine work done includeing a hone, they should seat fine, it'll just feel like a slightly worn build after break in

at 20psi i doubt it will matter much anyway</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you had over 500 dollars worth of machine work done, i would think you would be sensible enough to get oversized pistons to compensate

Im not tryin to be a dick, im just trying to save you the grief of your motor blowing up when your rings dont seal and you burn all your oil and seize your pistons
Old 07-02-2006, 09:30 PM

If you need it now, it'll work. You'll get blowby like a **** most likely.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nappyroots827 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you had over 500 dollars worth of machine work done, i would think you would be sensible enough to get oversized pistons to compensate

Im not tryin to be a dick, im just trying to save you the grief of your motor blowing up when your rings dont seal and you burn all your oil and seize your pistons</TD></TR></TABLE>

pistons were ordered before machine work was done, i didnt expect the hone to take that much out and im not interested in oversized pistons, i wanted to stay stock bore, like i said it will work for now, its at service limit but that just means honda recommends replacement or boreing, doesnt mean its nessicary, once i have time i will rebuild again or swap a B or H and turbo again

i appriate your input to an extent, but im not cutting corners and i dont care if it blows down the road as long as it lasts long enough to save for the rebuild or swap
Old 07-03-2006, 11:22 AM

If your mind's already made up, why did you even bother to ask for opinions?

Just build your motor incorrectly and stop trying to convince everyone else that you're doing it correctly. If you think this downtime sucks, wait until you blow your motor when you don't have the money to do anything about it. Look up the user ID "guit-guit" on eBay, buy a set of NRP rings, have a correct gap, save yourself time and money down the road.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91SiZ6)

im not trying to convince anyone im doing it right, i know the gaps are at the limit and i dont care

i posted this to get some opinions, and i got pms here and on HMT from people with basicly the same setup as me and had similar gaps with little to no problems, so im not worried, yeah i sank alot into it already and to some a few more days and another $100 would be worth it, but i have a job to get to 200 miles away and this is my only car, so it'll do for now, i'll work on getting a swap or a better block
Old 07-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for future reference: cussing in the title is not tolerated here.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

ok if your piston to wall clearence is good youlll be fine to put that together. why do we have ring gaps? to allow the ring to expand with heat so at 20 psi there is more heat. more heat=more ring expansion. so to compensate for more ring expansion you need to have more ring gap. also you have aftermarket pistons? if the rings came with those pistons call the company who sold them to you and theyll answer this question.

where are you with your build now? assembly? have you measured the pistons and cylinder walls yourself or did the machine shop give you specs?
Old 07-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

wow, thanks mommy, i'll be sure to remember that... should i get the soap?

if a mod had a problem with it im sure they would have im'd me asap, but i havent gotten one yet so oh well
Old 07-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91civicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok if your piston to wall clearence is good youlll be fine to put that together. why do we have ring gaps? to allow the ring to expand with heat so at 20 psi there is more heat. more heat=more ring expansion. so to compensate for more ring expansion you need to have more ring gap. also you have aftermarket pistons? if the rings came with those pistons call the company who sold them to you and theyll answer this question.

where are you with your build now? assembly? have you measured the pistons and cylinder walls yourself or did the machine shop give you specs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

piston to wall clearence is within spec

vitara pistons

head is tourqed on the motor and almost ready to fire, i measured them myself with honda specs and brand new feeler gauges
Old 07-03-2006, 09:11 PM

I hate people like you.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love you too sweety, wanna give me a reach around?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 AM

LOL

As long as you have good crankcase ventilation, I don't see why it would be that bad. May lose a few ponies from compression loss.....but at 15psi who really cares?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mahatma)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mahatma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL

As long as you have good crankcase ventilation, I don't see why it would be that bad. May lose a few ponies from compression loss.....but at 15psi who really cares?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i've been tryin to say, after break in i'll be running as close to 20psi as i can if i can find a good tuner that i trust with my car and shooting for 300 HP, anything over is a plus, so a few HP lost over a larger ring gap isnt that big a deal to me

it's all together now and just waiting on a main relay then she'll be ready to rip

i'll make a thread after a while and let everyone know how well its running