Notices

Restoring black bumpers and trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Restoring black bumpers and trim

Peanut butter FTMFW!! I dont know why I didn't think of it when I was gonna do my moldings and just gave up on not wanting to spend $20 on forever black(which I must say, works fantastic) My brother and I used PB on his fading clear coat pealing carbon hood, tossed some PB on it wiped it all over and then let it sit, wiped it all off and BAM. **** looked brand new for about a month.

Peanut Butter is just a temporary topical solution that'll get you by for a while.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Make sure to use some oil/grease remover first in case someone used some armor all/silicone before you paint. Scuff it up a little first as well for better sticking of the paint.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I discovered black magic tire shine works good. You do have to apply it and rub it in a few times. It need time to soak in.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:39 PM

you dont have to prime plastic...just get an adehesion promoter and then paint...if you have the skill to stay away from spray paint if not a few medium wet coats with the spray should come out ok.....
Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 PM

also agree with guy above need to clean it off with some grease and wax remover...first
Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used duplicolor trim paint purchased at advanced auto..... I just removed the small nut from the bolt on each door on my ed4 then they slide backwards toward the trunk right off , i washed them really well used very fine grit sandpaper and then repainted them, they look really good
Old 01-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im sorry but has someone mentioned black trim spray paint and scruffin it before painting? lol im sure thats the most reasonable way to get it done... got it done in my hatch about a year ago and its still holdin up.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

opps just saw the message from the ed4 civic hes got the right idea
Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've used meguires PlastX on the moldings and Bumper and all the weather striping and its worked real good. Its lasts for more than a week and the more you use it the longer it lasts. But for the mud flaps I use the tire polish.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the pb works GREAT
Old 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by hunterln
I have been trying various products to keep the black plastic bumpers and trim on my 89 hatch looking nie and black...and not oxidized/faded looking.

Was wondering if anyone had recommendations based off of experience.

I've tried Mothers back to Black, which is crap...slimy, and rubs off.

I have been using Lexol Vinylex and it makes the bumpers and trim look very good - but of course after it rains it looks horrible again, which I realize I may just have to live with....

but, was hoping to get everyones feedback on what they use, the results they get, and how long it lasts.

Thanks.
I would never try to paint it with black spray paint. How would you keep the overspray off the rest of your car? You'd either have to take all that time taping up the whole care, or pay someone $200 to polish the overspray back off. Worst idea on here in my opinion.

I've been a professional detailer for 40 years and the best stuff I've found is original Bumper Black. It's permanent and easy to apply and cleans up with just soap and water. You could probably do the whole job in 30 minutes or less and once it's done you'll never have to reapply it or use anything else. You'll just have a beautiful black shine for as long as you own your car.

I like Bumper Black WAY better than anything else I've ever tried. The only thing is you can't buy it in stores. You have to get it from their website at http://bumperblack.com
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RandyBoone
Worst idea on here in my opinion.
You know what else is a terrible idea? Bumping a thread that has been dead for 3 years.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r
You know what else is a terrible idea? Bumping a thread that has been dead for 3 years.
I don't understand why you think that's such a bad idea. I respond to things that interest me, regardless of the date. I figure if I'm interested there must be others who are interested also. That's why people like forums in the first place, they can post stuff that people will see and converse with for years. If you want to have real time discussions you should visit a chat room.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dope wagon!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't understand why you think that's such a bad idea. I respond to things that interest me, regardless of the date. I figure if I'm interested there must be others who are interested also. That's why people like forums in the first place, they can post stuff that people will see and converse with for years. If you want to have real time discussions you should visit a chat room.
I agree, I'm glad randyboone gave us another option to try, that's why H-T keeps a searchable archive.

Randy, how does bumper black compare to forever black?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so you want them to look stock right...

What I do is buy a can of carburetor cleaner and then wad up a handful of paper towels and slightly moisten them.. absolutely no dripping ... you just want it not dry .. lightly moist

Then you do not want to rub hard you just want to moisten the plastic moldings.

If you rub then you have a chance of melting the plastic and you will take off the texture and it will look like crap.

You will see them turn black and then in about 3 weeks they will start whitening up again in spots.. so you go over it again and after about the third application you get about a year before you need to touch them again.

remember dont rub .. act like you are blowing your nose after 3 weeks with the flu and your nose is so raw its painful to touch .. heh

anyway .. thats what i do..

I am not painting my stock moldings with paint that will endup looking worse and be impossible to remove in 2 years.

Originally Posted by hunterln
I have been trying various products to keep the black plastic bumpers and trim on my 89 hatch looking nie and black...and not oxidized/faded looking.

Was wondering if anyone had recommendations based off of experience.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's another option - heat gun!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would never try to paint it with black spray paint. How would you keep the overspray off the rest of your car? You'd either have to take all that time taping up the whole care, or pay someone $200 to polish the overspray back off. Worst idea on here in my opinion.

I've been a professional detailer for 40 years and the best stuff I've found is original Bumper Black. It's permanent and easy to apply and cleans up with just soap and water. You could probably do the whole job in 30 minutes or less and once it's done you'll never have to reapply it or use anything else. You'll just have a beautiful black shine for as long as you own your car.

I like Bumper Black WAY better than anything else I've ever tried. The only thing is you can't buy it in stores. You have to get it from their website at http://bumperblack.com
Originally Posted by th3pwn3r
Originally Posted by carsaregood
I agree, I'm glad randyboone gave us another option to try, that's why H-T keeps a searchable archive.

Randy, how does bumper black compare to forever black?

not to sound tooooo negative, but randy, why is that you sound like a sales man.... with your 40yrs of experience as a detailer.... and saying forever black is the best, yet you can only get it from that site?

it's great and all if it does do what you say it does, but it just seems like you bumped this three year old thread to push a product.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90_EX_Civic
not to sound tooooo negative, but randy, why is that you sound like a sales man.... with your 40yrs of experience as a detailer.... and saying forever black is the best, yet you can only get it from that site?

it's great and all if it does do what you say it does, but it just seems like you bumped this three year old thread to push a product.
yeah you're totally right, that's a possibility, given his join date, and post count. i also looked up reviews of the stuff and found some cheesy youtube videos that were obviously advertisements:

i guess we'll see if he comes back to this thread or not.

anyway, i'm gonna try the heat gun!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, what the hell Randy, you are pushing product. why not pay your dues and be a paid sponsor, instead of trying to get free hits on the products that you sell.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...7#post48771247
https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/spray-can-paint-3143076/
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the heat gun idea!