Notices

Rear Vibration shaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Vibration shaking

i first thought it was the rotors, i just replaced them and i have a slight vibration coming from the rear of the car. i know its the rear because my steering wheel doesn't shake.

any ideas?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: Rear Vibration shaking (DIYMIKE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIYMIKE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i first thought it was the rotors, i just replaced them and i have a slight vibration coming from the rear of the car. i know its the rear because my steering wheel doesn't shake.

any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tires could be imbalanced or worn unevenly. It could be a camber or bushing issue as well, but I'd start with the tires.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Vibration shaking (wiZCo)

i just replaced the rims i had on the car with balanced ones....

still vibrates..

But i think i might know why it shakes

When i built the car, the front end was on Jack stand. and the rear was not... and the back end was just on rear tires.

i read that its a big no no.... what could be the problem? from have the rear suspension like that.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIYMIKE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But i think i might know why it shakes

When i built the car, the front end was on Jack stand. and the rear was not... and the back end was just on rear tires.

i read that its a big no no.... what could be the problem? from have the rear suspension like that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think that has anything to with anything.

vibrates during braking? certain speed? rpm?

lugnuts are tightened? i mean really, check it again. take the wheels off and on.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIYMIKE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But i think i might know why it shakes

i read that its a big no no.... what could be the problem? from have the rear suspension like that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a new one to me and makes absolutely no sense
Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM
GLI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Vibration shaking (BILLETGRIP)

It could be the hatch. Mine sqeaks under hard cornering/braking. Vibrates only at idle. It could even be your jack stand.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you replace the suspension?

I did that on my ef and i still have exhaust rub on the lower control arm which echoes throughout the car.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Vibration shaking (kingofnothing)

well i read post here on HT that you shouldn't have load on the rear suspension because it wears out the rubber bushing more quickly. i had it jacked up for more then 5 months.

any way, there is vibration coming from the REAR.

the strange thing is that i CAN NOT feel it in the Steering wheel, which leads me to believe its in the rear.

i just changed my Front rotors and My steering wheel still shakes when i slow apply the brake. but if i am cruising and get to about 40-50 and put it in neutral... there is vibration that you can feel throughout the car. BUT Not in the steering wheel.

I have aluminum racing lugnuts, that i torqued with a torque wrench. i put two sets of rims on that both have been balanced.

does that make any sense?

what could it be? or what should i replace?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

FYI: You should NEVER store you car on jack stands. The bushings are meant to stay fully loaded with the car on the ground. When you put the car on jack-stands, the suspension goes into the droop position. When the suspension droops, this twists the bushings out of their rested state. If the bushings are left twisted for an extended period of time, the rubber will quickly deteriorate (like holding a rubber-band in the stretched position)...</TD></TR></TABLE>

here is where i read it at.... in an old post.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

94eg exaggerates. its preferable to store the car on jackstands under the suspension, but i wouldnt make a big deal about it, and it almost certainly has nothing to do with your vibration.

hows your shocks? are you dumped?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Rainman

Default Re: Rear Vibration shaking (Tyson)

Hub assembly? maybe worn trailing arm bushings, tires out of round? rear needs an alignment?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Vibration shaking (SIred91)

i have adjustable KYB's with H&R springs. Not dumped at all. i am actually thinking about lowering it more.

i have integra rear trailing arms. the bushings are gone of course....

- the driver side rear caliper is seized and does not do anything. only the passager side works.

ALSO i don't know if this makes a difference.

i have a 4040 prop valve. i DID NOT bleed the rear brakes. i only bleed the fronts.

i have jacked up the rear and front of the cars with the tires off and shaked the control arms and sway bars and nothing is loose.

where should i start?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Rainman

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIYMIKE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have adjustable KYB's with H&R springs. Not dumped at all. i am actually thinking about lowering it more.

i have integra rear trailing arms. the bushings are gone of course....

- the driver side rear caliper is seized and does not do anything. only the passager side works.

ALSO i don't know if this makes a difference.

i have a 4040 prop valve. i DID NOT bleed the rear brakes. i only bleed the fronts.

i have jacked up the rear and front of the cars with the tires off and shaked the control arms and sway bars and nothing is loose.

where should i start?</TD></TR></TABLE>

And you wonder why there is a vibration?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I once had a massive shaking and vibrating from the rear of my car, felt like the car was gonna fall apart, so i pulled over and started checking around and what i found was my old lady had left her vibrator in my trunk and it had switched on, check to see if she left one in your car to ... sorry I couldnt resist.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted91crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted91crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I once had a massive shaking and vibrating from the rear of my car, felt like the car was gonna fall apart, so i pulled over and started checking around and what i found was my old lady had left her vibrator in my trunk and it had switched on, check to see if she left one in your car to ... sorry I couldnt resist.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA that made me laugh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And you wonder why there is a vibration?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the caliper spins freely.

and i have driven many ef's with old ripped trailing arm bushings and never encountered shaking like this. what are the symptoms of a old trailing arm bushing?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DIYMIKE)

i dont think it has anything to do with your ripped trailing arm bushing either.

im going with shocks.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 PM

wheel hub? my car was vibrating pretty bad from the rear as well and i changed out the wheel hub and that took care of it.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (az90civic)

if it is the bearing/hub, then you should jack the corner, and turn the wheel. youll know if the bearing needs replacement.

it would kind of make sense as to being related to the seized caliper. it probably at one time heated up the rotor as it was constantly braking and cooked the wheel bearing.

i didnt think the bearing would be the problem as i didnt think it would cause vibration, any sooner than it would be obviously audible sound of trouble. but the above poster said he experienced it, i wouldnt be surprised.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tyson)

thanks for the tyson, as well as every one else.

i am going to work on it today to find out the problem and post pictures.