Notices

Rear Main Seal? and Thermostat Body Leak?

Old 03-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal? and Thermostat Body Leak?

So, 2 separate issues:

1) My newly put together engine is slowly dripping oil between the transmission and engine block. When I put the motor together I specifically remembered to put a new rear main seal in, so I am not sure why it is leaking.

NOW, I used a paper gasket but didn't use any RTV on the metal mating surfaces. There is a small leak, I took the flywheel cover off and when the motor is running, I can see a small leak slowly dripping down the oil pain originating at the curve (center) but I am unable to determine if it is the oil pan, or main seal. It is frustating me a lot as I cannot determine if it is leaking over the top of the oil pan, OR the seal around the crankshaft. Could I have too much oil in the engine? The dipstick is reading slightly past the second dot and I think there is just over 3 litres in there.

SO, last week I pulled the pan down, and used Permatex RTV sealant on both side of the gasket and then put the pan back on. And the leak remains, so does this mean it is the main seal? I dont get it, the main seal was put in why the h*ll is it leaking? ARGH

2) Also, the thermostat body is leaking coolant, I made sure to tighten down the two bolts holding it on, and it still leaks about a drip ever 2 seconds when the engine is running. I recently put a new 170 degree thermostat in, I don't think it is related to that, but has anyone run into this? Can I use some sort of RTV or sealant or just replace a rubber o-ring or something?

Info: D16Z6 block
Thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rear Main Seal? and Thermostat Body Leak?

replace the thermostat o ring yes. Like three bucks.

But be sure it's the thermostat seal and not one of the hoses connected to it that needs tightening. Or the waterpipe that connects to it in back.

Also, 170 is too cold. oem spec is 172. But 180 is better.
I ran the oem 172 and my temp would drop at idle because it was too cold.
Wheras the 180 is sufficient to not let it get too cold and keep it in operating range.

Since you're going to replace the o ring. I suggest changing the thermostat as well.
You'll get better fuel mileage and prolong your engine life

I can't help with the oil leak except that you only use rtv on the corners of the oil pan