Notices

Rear caliper sticks on when E-brake released. Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear caliper sticks on when E-brake released. Solution?

Here's the deal:
My left rear caliper is lightly sticking on, but only after the parking brake is used. Under normal conditions, it is and has been problem free. I have temporarily disconnected the parking brake from that caliper as a temporary solution, but would like to fix it.

Yes, the sliders are fine, pad wear is even. Everything is perfect except for something internally.

No, I don't want to buy a re-man caliper Sounds picky, I know, but the car is a very low mileage car and is in amazing shape. I even managed to screw in the caliper BY HAND with very little effort, when I replaced the rear pads last summer. I'd like to rebuild it myself if possible...

By doing a little digging, I found that Honda offers all the internal parts of the caliper. Whether or not they're still available could be a problem.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+BRAKE+CALIPER

Long story short: Does anyone know the cause of my problem and/or has anyone ever messed with the rear caliper internals before? Please let me know.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rear caliper sticks on when E-brake released. Solution?

I think its the seal on the caliper. You can rebuild them... but its one of those things you will spend the whole day doing if you're not experienced at it. A reman is not too expensive after you trade in the core.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ihatedomestic
Here's the deal:
My left rear caliper is lightly sticking on, but only after the parking brake is used. Under normal conditions, it is and has been problem free. I have temporarily disconnected the parking brake from that caliper as a temporary solution, but would like to fix it.

Yes, the sliders are fine, pad wear is even. Everything is perfect except for something internally.

No, I don't want to buy a re-man caliper Sounds picky, I know, but the car is a very low mileage car and is in amazing shape. I even managed to screw in the caliper BY HAND with very little effort, when I replaced the rear pads last summer. I'd like to rebuild it myself if possible...

By doing a little digging, I found that Honda offers all the internal parts of the caliper. Whether or not they're still available could be a problem.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+BRAKE+CALIPER

Long story short: Does anyone know the cause of my problem and/or has anyone ever messed with the rear caliper internals before? Please let me know.
how old is the caliper? what year did it come off of?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is a 90 EF7, 63k km. As far as I know, it's the original caliper....and I'm pretty sure I removed the original rear pads at 40k km, a couple of years ago.

If it was the piston seal causing it to stick on, would this not happen every time I applied the brakes? Again, this only happens when the park brake is applied, then released...then it sticks on.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 06-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by hatchet_honda
I just had my 2009 civic in for a brake inspection due to discovering a very hot drivers side rear rotor while at the car wash, only to discover my year old brake job was shot, seized caliper, new pads, new rotors, and.... The technician had mentioned in the report that the park brake was SEIZED in the bracket as well. FML.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

may be a common issue. my rear drums tend to lock and stick if i use the e-brake and let the car sit over the weekend, and a lot of the guys i know that drive hondas (the ef's more so than the eg/ek/newer civics) have noticed the same in their cars.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:59 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First thing to check is to see if it is the cable or the E brake shaft that is sticking, if it is the shaft, just pull it and clean it up...

#14-26... Honda Automotive Parts

Grab lever, [#23-33] with a set of Vice Grips and see how it moves. 94