Notices

Rack end bushing keeps exploding

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rack end bushing keeps exploding

Bottom line: My rack end bushing keeps failing. 2 weeks after replacing every rack end bushing my clunk in the front right returns after being gone for a while. I know it's not any other suspension component because I've basically replaced everything and double and triple checked suspension components.

New:
PIC master bushing kit
Shocks and shock tower bushings
All 4 tie rods
Rack end bushing x3
Steering rack adjusted with the honda tool
Alignment
Tires
Stock UCA's with new bushings
Balljoints
Wheel Bearings
Steering rack

First steering rack clunked. Replaced bushing, clunk gone for a month and comes back. Replaced steering rack with #2 to find it looked like a rust grenade went off in rack #1. Second steering rack clunked off the bat. It was supposedly rebuilt. Replaced bushing, clunk back in a month. Rack #1's second bushing came out broken. Rack #2's second bushing is still in.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the wrong grease disintegrate the bushing? Does the steering rack have to be completely disassembled and sanded and washed to verify there is no grit inside of it? Does the steering rack god just hate me?

Every time I drive the bushing in it goes in evenly and clicks in place without snapping. The whole steering rack arm gets lubed with wheel bearing grease and a light coating goes on the bushing as well. I can still grab the passenger inner tie rod and push it up to hear an audible clunk if I do it hard enough.

An audible light clunking chatter can be heard from the front passenger side over wavy roads or over a speed bump just right. This is pissing me off at 65mph because the car feels twitchy whenever the bushing kills itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone knows anything about the steering column slowly working its tilt lever loose, let me know. It sucks to have the wheel slam down in the middle of a turn unexpectedly.

Edit: Steering rack boots are not torn.

Last edited by sumdewd; 07-03-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: felt like it
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Rack end bushing keeps exploding

Could be the rack itself is worn out.

Or its some other part that you have already replaced with questionable origin.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I need to shake everything down and double check that it is the rack. I might just bite the bullet and see if there's a new steering rack for sale somewhere. I really don't like taking it out in vain every 3 months lol.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post here - I've been lurking for a while. Great Forum!

I went thru the same thing you're going through. I took a chance with car steering on a new one and couldn't be happier. I have a long thread over on crx community but don't know if I can link it here or not. The problem with buying a rebuilt one is if it has an hour glass shape a bushing will not fix the problem. The concern with the new ones is it being cheaply made - guess time will tell...

I'll check the rules and if it is ok I'll attach my link.
Good luck
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sumdewd
Bottom line: My rack end bushing keeps failing. 2 weeks after replacing every rack end bushing my clunk in the front right returns after being gone for a while. I know it's not any other suspension component because I've basically replaced everything and double and triple checked suspension components.

New:
PIC master bushing kit
Shocks and shock tower bushings
All 4 tie rods
Rack end bushing x3
Steering rack adjusted with the honda tool
Alignment
Tires
Stock UCA's with new bushings
Balljoints
Wheel Bearings
Steering rack

First steering rack clunked. Replaced bushing, clunk gone for a month and comes back. Replaced steering rack with #2 to find it looked like a rust grenade went off in rack #1. Second steering rack clunked off the bat. It was supposedly rebuilt. Replaced bushing, clunk back in a month. Rack #1's second bushing came out broken. Rack #2's second bushing is still in.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the wrong grease disintegrate the bushing? Does the steering rack have to be completely disassembled and sanded and washed to verify there is no grit inside of it? Does the steering rack god just hate me?

Every time I drive the bushing in it goes in evenly and clicks in place without snapping. The whole steering rack arm gets lubed with wheel bearing grease and a light coating goes on the bushing as well. I can still grab the passenger inner tie rod and push it up to hear an audible clunk if I do it hard enough.

An audible light clunking chatter can be heard from the front passenger side over wavy roads or over a speed bump just right. This is pissing me off at 65mph because the car feels twitchy whenever the bushing kills itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone knows anything about the steering column slowly working its tilt lever loose, let me know. It sucks to have the wheel slam down in the middle of a turn unexpectedly.

Edit: Steering rack boots are not torn.
What exactly does your clunk sound like?

I'm having a similar frustrating issue on my '89 DX hatch.

Earlier in the spring I rebuilt my entire front end. New struts, control arms, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, new brakes, etc. - all high quality MOOG. I went ahead and pulled my steering rack and removed my old rack end bushing an replaced it. I remember at the time noticing the old bushing wasn't worn or loose or damaged at all and feeling like I just wasted my time. I replaced it anyway and it definitely snapped into place properly/securely. I lubed everything thoroughly with wheel bearing grease.

I remember reading about adjusting the rack after installing it but couldn't really figure out what the purpose was or how much I should be adjusting it. I've re-read posts about it and still don't understand it so I guess I'm a mild idiot or something. Nonetheless I didn't adjust the rack after putting it back in.

Anyway, I have this really frustrating "pop" sound coming from the front passenger side. This has been driving me crazy for a few months now. It happens when I take off from a stop as the front pulls up a bit, or if I hit a ridge type thing in the road. If I take off from a stop slow/smooth it doesn't do it, or drive slow over ridges, etc it doesn't do it. I have no play in the wheel and can't find anything loose at all. The steering isn't at all sloppy. The "pop" noise isn't very loud but it's definitely noticeable to me. I also get the "pop" noise if I make a somewhat fast left turn. I'm not sure if it does it when turning right because all my right turns are pretty slow.

Looking back, I remember when I first got the car back together the steering was really stiff. I just drove it that way for a couple of weeks. I distinctly remember about two weeks after getting it back together, I was making a left turn into my work parking lot one morning, and there was a really loud "pop" noise from the steering rack. Immediately, the stiff steering went away and was back to how I always remembered it feeling effort-wise. I wasn't quite sure what to make of that but it didn't seem any worse for the wear. I'm not sure if this stemmed from not adjusting the rack or what.

Occasionally, I still get a pop sound from the steering rack itself, but it's very inconsistent. It happens maybe 2-3 times a month and usually only in situations where I'm stationary or driving slowly and turning the steering wheel several revolutions (u-turns, pulling out of a parking space, etc). The pop sound from the passenger side wheel area I get daily and reliably on my commute to/from work. However, I can't get the sound to duplicate with the wheel off and on jack stands.

And I also have the loose tilt wheel. It'll randomly fall on me while making turns

*edit - STEADY - I remember you from the CRX forum I think I actually posted my exact problem in your thread there.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James89DX
What exactly does your clunk sound like?

*edit - STEADY - I remember you from the CRX forum I think I actually posted my exact problem in your thread there.
Yes sir, I remember reading your post. I'm no expert (really far from it) but your problem doesn't sound like a rack end bushing problem to me - even though your problem could be somewhere in the rack.

Make sure you can tighten your steering by running the pinion tension nut all the way tight and go down the driveway. This should make it extremely hard to turn. If it does then move the nut back about 1/4 of a turn and lock it down and see what you get. If the steering doesn't get tight with the nut ran all of the way in then there is your problem.

Something I read when researching my problems that were outside the rack itself that may cause your "pop" was the engine mounts. Really check these.

It is doubtful any of this will help. Sorry, wish I had more to offer.

Good luck
Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My clunk sounds like a light chattering knock almost like lightly tapping on a wooden table with one fingernail. It's very subtle and almost not there but you can definitely hear it if the road has very little waves and ridges in it. Potholes and bigger bumps don't cause it to make noise or else they're just too loud for me to hear the light chatter.

The same noise can be heard if I grab the passenger tie rod and slam it up as hard as I can. Although with my head next to it, it sounds like quite an audible and low clunk. I have to use all of my strength in slamming the tie rod up to cause this.

All of my engine mounts have been replaced and the front mount has been reinforced with high pressure fuel hose because it kept breaking. My car even has two brand new Raxles.

I am not looking forward to another steering rack.

If anybody has found a permanent fix to the bushing dying everytime without replacing a rack, let us know. I really hate dropping my exhaust to do a rack. It's not hard for me to replace the rack end bushing with the rack on the car.

Side note: Does anybody think that forgetting the giant thick tie rod washer will cause this? I just remembered because the little bastard is sitting on my desk...

Edit: What if it's possible to take the actual steering rack arm out and sand and polish it smooth? If we eliminate all of the grit then the rack end bushing might just survive.

Last edited by sumdewd; 07-04-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: ...