Notices

Questions about Sedans. Trim levels/options etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions about Sedans. Trim levels/options etc.

So I'm back in the market for an EF. A Sedan this time.

I'm wondering what options were on the different trims.

I think they only come in DX, LX, and EX, correct?

It seems like the LX's always have the power options except sunroof, but I only see them in automatic. Could you not get a 5 Speed LX?

Same with EX's. I don't seem to ever see a 5 speed EX, but they always have sunroof/moonroof or whatever.

DX's, always see them in 5 speed, but with no power options.

What I want is a 5 speed sedan with power options. What trim should I be looking for?
Old 03-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Questions about Sedans. Trim levels/options etc. (Jonathan_EH)

You can get the LX or EX with a 5 speed you just have to keep looking. Remember the LX is just a DX with power windows so it has the same crap power train ie: DPFI. I'd get a EX beacause of the MPFI and bigger front brakes but 90-91 EX civic are hard to fine.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Questions about Sedans. Trim levels/options etc. (Davep)

EX has it all... try looking on http://www.autotrader.com
Old 03-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help guys.

Can you tell me what options were available?

Cruise control
power windows
power locks
power mirrors
moonroof or whatever it is

Is that it? In terms of interior stuff, I mean.

Also, something i noticed is that some of them appear to have a chrome trim around all the moldings, and some of them don't. Do the older ones not have the chrome? I don't really like the way the chrome looks.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the help guys.

Can you tell me what options were available?

Cruise control
power windows
power locks
power mirrors
moonroof or whatever it is

Is that it? In terms of interior stuff, I mean.

Also, something i noticed is that some of them appear to have a chrome trim around all the moldings, and some of them don't. Do the older ones not have the chrome? I don't really like the way the chrome looks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my 88 lx didnt have chrome trim but my 91 lx did. my 91 has power windows lock steering and mirrors and cruise control. most have ac also but mine didnt
Old 03-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it must be the 88/89's that don't have the chrome trim.

Are the doors physically the same? Because the car I'm looking at is a '91, but it seems to have an 88/89 door on it because it's flat and doesn't have chrome trim.

If possible, I'd like to swap all the doors to the chromeless style.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The door molding is different from 88/89 to 90/91. The 88/89 has the groove through middle and the 90/91 is flat and smooth.

Sunroof was an option for whatever trim you get.

EX front brakes are bigger as well as the master cylinder.

Rear disc brakes are not an option for any of the trims.

Power windows, locks, and mirrors came on LX and EX.

A/C was an option for LX and DX... not sure if it was an option or just standard on the EX.

I rencently ordered window trim for a 1991 DX from hondaautomotiveparts.com. The trim at the bottom of the window is black, but all the rest they sent me was chrome???? I think they messed up. LX and EX have chrome, but I believe all DX's are supposed to have black.

DX's have black bumpers and the LX and EX are painted.

I not sure, but I don't think the DX has a tach, but the LX and EX do.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the insight!

The DX I'm looking at is a '91, and it has chrome trim along all the window moldings. Even the front and rear windows. I want it to all be black...would I need order it from an 88/89?

Except the drivers door. It's flat, and has no chrome trim along the window. I think it may be an 88/89 door? Whatever it is, I like it much better and would like to eventually switch all the doors to match.

I also like the door molding that has the groove in it. Is the molding only on the doors different, or does it go all the way around the car like the Civic Hatchbacks....meaning the bumpers are different too?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Keyboard Humorist

The feature on the door molding goes all the way around on the car.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:15 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (4drEF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4drEF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sunroof was an option for whatever trim you get.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No it wasn't. No '88-91 sedans were available with a sunroof or moonroof.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend has a '91 EX and it has a sunroof or a moonroof, whatever it's called. It's exactly like the ones in the Si's. It looks like a factory installed piece to me?
Old 03-12-2004, 01:08 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friend has a '91 EX and it has a sunroof or a moonroof, whatever it's called. It's exactly like the ones in the Si's. It looks like a factory installed piece to me?</TD></TR></TABLE>
If it were a factory moonroof, then all '90-91 EXes would have had them - but every one that I have seen doesn't have one.

Your friend's roof is probably aftermarket.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No it wasn't. No '88-91 sedans were available with a sunroof or moonroof.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it was. I have seen it in person. Do a search and look for Chris1.6's last 4 door. It was a DX and had a factory sunroof that he bought off an old lady (obviously she didn't mod it - the thing didn't even have A/C!)

I believe it may have been a dealer option rather than a factory option, but I don't know.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I know for a fact that the roof in my friends '91 EX is factory, or at the very least a dealer option using OEM Honda pieces. It uses the exact same switch as my old EF Si, and well....it just looks OEM.

I'll try to get a pic of it.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4drEF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes it was. I have seen it in person. Do a search and look for Chris1.6's last 4 door. It was a DX and had a factory sunroof that he bought off an old lady (obviously she didn't mod it - the thing didn't even have A/C!)

I believe it may have been a dealer option rather than a factory option, but I don't know. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the car you're talking about did have a sunroof but it wasnt an oem piece.
dealer installed = aftermarket
Old 03-13-2004, 01:01 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4drEF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I believe it may have been a dealer option rather than a factory option, but I don't know.</TD></TR></TABLE>
All OEM sun/moonroofs have to be installed at the factory - otherwise it is not a genuine Honda roof.

No '88-91 Civic sedan came standard with a sun or moonroof from the factory - thus, any sun or moonroof on a sedan has to be aftermarket.

Honda does not have factory-installed "options." A feature is either standard as part of a trim level package, or it is a dealer-installed accessory.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I know for a fact that the roof in my friends '91 EX is factory, or at the very least a dealer option using OEM Honda pieces. It uses the exact same switch as my old EF Si, and well....it just looks OEM.

I'll try to get a pic of it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Get some pics, I'd like to see it.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda does not have factory-installed "options." A feature is either standard as part of a trim level package, or it is a dealer-installed accessory.

Get some pics, I'd like to see it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would it have been possible for a dealer to install it as a dealer-option using pieces from a Civic/CRX? I assume it probably wouldn't be the norm, but I guess maybe some of the more adventurous dealers may have tried something like that.

I'll try to get some pics of my friends car. It looks really good. Even the roof cut-out has rolled edges.