Notices

A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question.

** New Quesion!!**

I'm done with the injector wiring.

Now on to a question about dizzy wiring!!

I started by depinning the STD dizzy plug, wire by wire and inserting each color into the d16z6 dizzy plug where the wire colors matched up.

I ran into one more question!! There are two WHITE wires on the STD plug but only one white on the d16z6 plug. After matching up all of the colors I have one WHITE wire left over on the STD side, and one yellow/green stripe wire on the d16z6 plug.

I also have a blue/green stripe, and a blue/yellow stripe on the d16z6 plug which I will solder to the C1 and C2 wires later.

So, does the STD white match up with the d16z6 yellow/green stripe? Also, because there are two white wires on the STD plug, how do I know which one gets plugged into the white d16z6 wire?

Thanks for the help so far!! I'm almost done!

After reading 10+ tutorials about how to do my DPFI to MPFI swap I gave it a shot this afternoon.

I'm putting a d16z6 in a 90 STD hatch and converting from DPFI to MPFI as well as OBD0 to OBD1 at the same time.

I got most of the wiring taken care of but I have just one question that I couldn't find the answer to in all of the tutorials that I read.

My question has to do with powering the fuel injectors. All of the tutorials I read talk about installing a resistor box, which I don't need to install because I am converting to OBD1.

There are two power wires (the yellow and black ones) running to the two fuel injectors from the DPFI setup. I need to add two more power wires to power the two new injectors that I am wiring in. How do I run those power wires?

I read and read and read, but couldn't find the answer so I came up with how I think it will work, but I just want to be sure before I start soldering.

I made a little diagram that should help explain how I think it will work...

This is a diagram of the plug on the driver side shock tower. The black box is the plug and to the left the wires are leading to the fuel injectors, to the right they are heading towards the ECU...

Okay, so, I think I could cut the two power wires, twist them together on the harness side, and twist the injector side together while adding two more wires to the injector side. Then I will solder them all together.

Is this the correct way to do it? Or, do I need to pull that power from another source?

I hope I explained it well enough. I'm almost 100% certain it will work this way but I just want to see how others did theirs.

Thanks!!

Modified by EJ1 wilcox at 4:04 PM 10/29/2005

Modified by EJ1 wilcox at 4:05 PM 10/29/2005
Old 10-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question. (EJ1 wilcox)

Sounds like it would work. Kind of like channeling a 2 way amp to work with 4 speakers...well kinda like that

Bump I need to know as well. I'm also doing the same thing. EJ1 wilcox..this needs to be a write-up.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question. (91' LS-VTEC)

if you're using a block off plug then you'll need to depin the two dpfi injector clips and install the yel/blk wires into the block off plug. Run four more yel/blk wires (1 to each injector) and that's it.

solid colored wires are grounded at the ecu (red/yel/brn/blu).

If you don't have a block off plug just solder all the yel/blk wires.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question. (eda6)

I think you got it. On the OBD-1 engine harness, the same thing happens 1 power wire just gets split into 4. When I did my 89 DPFI to OBD-1 D15B swap I taped off one wire and just soldered 4 wire to the other.

Please note that if you have a OBD-1 engine harness you can depin the chassis harness plugs and repin then with OBD-1 chassis plugs to "almost" plug and play the newer engine harness.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question. (Surewin)

here is option for running vtec if you are using a non-vtec ecu with mpfi..

http://www.geocities.com/bing_bong916/vtec.html
Old 10-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question. (eda6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you're using a block off plug then you'll need to depin the two dpfi injector clips and install the yel/blk wires into the block off plug. Run four more yel/blk wires (1 to each injector) and that's it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I'll just do this.

I have a complete d16z6 harness that came with the engine I bouhgt. I'll just clip that plug off and use it to distribute the power evenly to all of the injectors.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question. (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My question has to do with powering the fuel injectors. All of the tutorials I read talk about installing a resistor box, which I don't need to install because I am converting to OBD1.

There are two power wires (the yellow and black ones) running to the two fuel injectors from the DPFI setup. I need to add two more power wires to power the two new injectors that I am wiring in. How do I run those power wires?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Do the MPFI swap EXACTLY as those instructions say to do, for OBD0.
2. Now you have a plug for the injector resistor box... well instead of that, use this plug:

And there you go

And for those 2 12v+ wires going to the DPFI injectors, take one out completely, and cut one down to 8 inches in length. You'll pull it out of the harness and run it to that gray plug with the other 4 red/blk injector power wires.
Make it clean.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question. (NikoZai)

New question about the dizzy wiring at the top!

Old 10-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I figured it all out!!

Thanks so much!

Here's a picture of how I did the injector powering...

You can see that I left two wires that I am going to run to the two new injectors. The others I connected to the distribution plug from my OBD1 harness.

I am going to clean it all up later, but you get the just of it.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Trial User

Default Re: A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question. (EJ1 w

so if you have OBD1 have do not have to use the resistor box
Old 03-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A question about DPFI to MPFI/OBD1 conversion. Injector powering question.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/how-dpfi-mpfi-without-issue-no-code-4-a-2906110/ dpfi to mpfi without issue (no code 4)
follow these directions in my write up so you dont get the dreaded code 4. A lot of the time people use the wrong pins and this will explain how to do it correctly