Notices

Project thread ::Turbo Dan:: Sir front end on CRX + how-to on installing ITR wheel

Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Project thread ::Turbo Dan:: Sir front end on CRX + how-to on installing ITR whee

wow sick thread!
ive heard from my buddy rajiv about these lol
Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project thread ::Turbo Dan:: Sir front end on CRX + how-to on installing ITR whee

Originally Posted by just-ef-it
wow sick thread!
ive heard from my buddy rajiv about these lol
Rags?

@mruneek - the wrap is holding up great, it's quite thick and I don't drive the car much so I have almost no rock chips at all in the vinyl.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I started scraping away the hondabond from the edge of the roof pan so that once the spot welds are drilled out the pan will easily lift from the shell.

kinda hard to see what's going on in these pictures but it will make more sense when I move further.

Step 2 will be to do the same thing on the non glass roof.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

raghoo lol were pretty much the ef'ers here in winnipeg lol he's told me a lil here and there about your crx's, now i know exactly what he was talkin about lol
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The glasstop install has OFFICIALLY begun.

Today was the official start to this project and it began with a visit from the local glass guy to take on the task of removing the glass from both the car (windshield) and the glasstop roof.

This is complete and I've moved on to the prep work before I get down and dirty.

Prep work includes:
-Sunroof panel removal
-rain gutter strip removal
-Sunroof assembly removal
-Interior plastic removal
-Front and rear seat removal
-Hatch removal

This car needs to be literally stripped down for this job.

Today I hope to get the sunroof assy and interior removed.
Today I also have to pick up a spot weld bit and drill

Tomorrow I will begin drilling.
The glasstop glass and the sunroof pan w/ motor feel to be about the same weight.

Yeah, that's right, I shower with my car parts....lol
Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the sunroof assembly by itself weighs just a tad more than the glass top and glass top frame put together. in total you're gonna be saving approx. 8-10 lbs. plus you'll have the coolness factor and bragging right of having a glasstop, lol.

it's a bit of a chore, but i think definitely worth it in the end. and I am extremely jealous of your purchase price.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for stopping by the build 75euRFE

I've got 12 spot welds drilled out already....

Today I was hoping to get more done but it turns out I had quite a few things to do before I could mess with the car.

I picked up some parts, center punch, spot weld remover and a drill etc.

Mastercraft drill 18v liION $75
Spot weld remover bit $14

********Don't use a center punch! its too much impact for the thin metal, just use a small drill bit the size of the tip of the spot weld bit to drill a pilot hole half way through so the drill bit is steady.

Here is a picture of the start.

I'm being careful to only drill through the first panel, just enough to separate the skin from the frame, less work and it will be good practice for when I do the same on the car which is more important to do this.

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 03-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another shot of further progress...

The spot weld bit is working brilliantly and I'm making great progress.
Next weekend I'll be finishing up the drilling on the glasstop and moving onto the car to begin drilling off the original top to prep for the swap.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Text update:

I've made amazing progress on the glasstop skin.
Lots of patience and a careful eye has brought me good success.....

There are several areas that need to be worked in order to lift the skin, these include:

-Both rain gutters (approx 10 spot welds each)
-Front along the windshield lip approx 20 welds
-Along the back from rear gutter to rear gutter, approx 15 welds
-Along the interior lip on the rear edge of the glasstop frame, 12 welds

So far I have all the sides drilled out and separated with the exception of the right rain gutter side (approx 10 spot welds left to go)

This will allow me to lift the skin off of the frame of the roof.

Once this is complete I have on more stage left before I can move onto the car to repeat it all over again...

There is a rear crossbar that goes from side to side just above the frame bar and below the glasstop skin. This also needs to be drilled out and swapped, the number of welds is unknown at this time and will be confirmed when I remove the skin and have a look.

I should have both the skin and the rear crossbar removed this weekend and next week I will begin drilling out my CRX roof.

I can't wait to finish this stage, since using your bedroom as a machine shop is not the most desirable thing in the world, I literally have to brush the metal shavings off my bed each night before I go to sleep.

I picked up a valuable tool today in my quest, it was a 4$ putty knife from can tire.
for the rain gutters there is no other way to go. I simply hammer the putty knife into the crack, and bang it down along the gutter until it has separated and becomes loose.

Absolutely amazing tool for this job.

Hope ya'll are enjoying my build and hope you will leave comments.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I enjoy this build, I hope I can do a glass roof one day! Can't wait to see it installed
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What side skirts are on it? Other than the bend in the front, they look dope with the SiR front end. Is that the SiR rear bumper?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jarhead90crx
What side skirts are on it? Other than the bend in the front, they look dope with the SiR front end. Is that the SiR rear bumper?
The side skirts are made by Xenon.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice build man. glwb
Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your job in this EF is awesone
Old 01-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at this car I have made a decision, I am getting an SiR front end

The wrap is awesome! I can't wait to see it with the glass top too, keep up the great work.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Progress:

I've separated the glasstop skin from the roof.

Next will be the rear skin support will need to be removed. After this is accomplished I will move onto the actual car to repeat what I've done over again.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fakkin' Siiiick

Nice to see it finally came apart.

I guess this means you don't need that custom blade from work on monday?

Also, I love the BFH, persuasion at its best
Old 01-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BigDare23
If you every come across another $100 glassroof PM me PLEASE!!!! LOL

Looks like a nice build you got going there. I hate your red rex had to come to an end like that, but it looks like the white one is going to be a good replacement.
Also pm me.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BFH ftw!

Rear support is now separated and ready to be prepped for re-install.

As you can tell from the pictures, there is minimal holes left from the drilling, and it is still in shape and very clean, with light rust that will need to be stripped down.

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 02-05-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks awesome man. hopefully I'll be able to start back on mine this summer.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Broke my main spotweld bit and my custom gutter backup spotweld bit... both in a matter of minutes.

Back to princess auto to grab 3 more @ 14$ each, this time I'll have to take my time much more.

ive got a good amount of prep work done on the white car roof, this weekend I might have half the roof lifting.

Next weekend I hope to totally remove the roof.

The following weekend I hope to get the rear support removed.

That puts my goal at the first weekend in march for completion.

Once I get the roof removed and the surface prepped, I will remove all my tools from the car, test fit the glasstop, then book in for the bodyshop to finish what I started.

It's extremely hot down there in the parkade so it's hard to really slow down and take your time when your sweating and wanna just get it over with.

Found out today that even with a dust mask, your nose still becomes filled with black metal shavings from cutting metal.

THE ROOF IS OFF BITCHES!

You can see a lip in this picture that I had to drill out, this lip was a support for the added weight of the sunroof subframe. I have to remove this lip before I can test fit anything, because it prevents the glasstop skin from sliding onto the front area. The glasstop has webbing on the underside of the skin to support the maplight and this is what gets in the way.

That's it for tonite, this is what the car looked like after I buttoned it all back together for the night so my landlord doesn't realize the car is missing a roof!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

by far one of the cleanest crx ive seen nice man keep it up
Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very good in depth thread man,Best of luck!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subscribed
Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Trial User

Really,Really nice!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project thread ::Turbo Dan:: Sir front end on CRX + how-to on installing ITR wheel