Notices

problem with rear suspension

Old 11-09-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with rear suspension

Guys Ive posted about this problem before but now im going to try to elaborate the details a bit more.

I have a 88 crx so u guys know about the rear suspesion and stuff, the thing is that ive tried 3 different springs setup, even coilovers and the rear has a limit, 2 fingers from the tire to the fender, i wont go any lower than that, sometimes its even higher.

my setup right now is kyb gr-2s and eibach sportlines with es bushings everywhere, one thing that could be wrong is the shocks, there are no gr-2s for 88 crxs, so I think that when i ordered them the guy at the shop gave me right hand drive integra rear shocks, which are almost the same style but I think that on integras the perch on the shock is a little bit higher than on the crxs shocks and thats why my rear wont go any lower , other than that i dont know what could be causing this problem, I really need help because my car looks bad i have like a finger on the front and like 3 fingers on the rear, looks like a muscle car.

does anyone has my setup? Id like to see 88 crxs with different shocks or even my shocks to see how the rear suspesion's drop compares to the front suspesion.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: problem with rear suspension (iNetForce)

What size tires do you have? They make gr2 for the 88. I used them on my 88 hatch. There's no way you could have integra gr2's on your car using 88 lca's. It won't bolt up because the bottom strut mount is different. DA lcas are similar to 89-91 civics. The major difference is the
DA lca is straight and the ED lca is offset. Possibly you have the wrong strut. Swap lcas and get agx. DA and ED/EF have the same part number.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:18 AM

I'm runnin ITR Illumina's on my 88 rear setup. Same part no, they have the same setup as the 88. With prokits, I've got about two fingers front and rear. Click the link to my garage to see. Are you preloading your suspension before tightning down your suspension components. The poly bushings don't need it but the lower shock bushings won't twist to well.
HTH
chris
Old 11-10-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: problem with rear suspension (NCchris)

I have the kyb parts list software and it doesnt say anything about 88 crxs, it says 89-91., but they do list right hand drive ITR, thats why im saying maybe the perch is a little higher than the 88 crx regular honda shock.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iNetForce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but they do list right hand drive ITR, thats why im saying maybe the perch is a little higher than the 88 crx regular honda shock.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

FWIW, I have a pair of Tokico HD (blues) that i bought for my 88 rear setup that I have removed, a pair of oem JDM ITR shocks I bought and the spring perch is at the same height. I also compared the blues with the Illumina's when I swapped them and the perch was the same. Don't know about the KYB, but I suppose anything is possible.
Next time you remove your shocks, unbolt your swaybar and push up on your hub to see if you can get full suspension travel without the shock. If anything is binding you should see it.
Are your shocks binding? Make sure the dustguard will telescope over the shocks. Check your bumpstop, could be too long......
HTH
chris