Notices

pressure in the gas tank WAY high

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pressure in the gas tank WAY high

alright i open my gas tank and **** load of pressure is coming out. i cut one of lines that went to charcoal canister and punch it. since i didnt need anymore. im gonna say thats why.
any in thoughts. should i just open the line in between the gas tank and the car and leave it open?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pressure in the gas tank WAY high

I open my gas tank and pressure comes out too, thats how it works y0
Old 04-18-2009, 02:38 PM

yeah you want that pressure it means there is a good seal with the gas cap and the hose to the tank
Old 04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know but its like **** load of pressure lol
Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Is the cap blowing off the filler and out of your hand?

Or just hissing when you crack it?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same thing has been occuring with me... today gas was leaking out of the cap so I take the cap off and as soon as I do that gas comes flushing out... this has never happen to me before the past month or so... Im thinkin maybe I have something squished or blocked cause I did my swap a couple months ago! and it never happen to me before that!!!!! well theives are tryin to get me so it looks like a good time to have the car down and figure out the problem!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is very likely due to a failure in the purge cut solenoid area under the hood. Let me explain:

There is a mysterious charcoal canister on the firewall with a hose coming out of the firewall into it. The canister is there to contain the gasses that emerge from your gas tank when it expands due to sitting and the ambient temps getting warmer.

When you turn on the car, The ECU sends an electrical signal to the purge-cut-solenoid on your firewall (or manifold if you have a later manifold). The signal opens the solenoid for a couple of seconds, and that allows the vacuum channel to your intake manifold to pass through the purge-cut solenoid to the top of the canister.

That vacuum then opens the mechanical valve on the canister and allows the captured fumes inside it to be sucked into the intake manifold, via the braided red hose, to be burnt.

The whole point of this overly complex system is to prevent those gasses from being released into the environment, but without the danger of an electical switch right there on the canister.

I hope that helps.

You can either test/replace the solenoid (the right thing to do for californians and environmentalists), or put a filter in place of the canister.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fireant
This is very likely due to a failure in the purge cut solenoid area under the hood. Let me explain:

There is a mysterious charcoal canister on the firewall with a hose coming out of the firewall into it. The canister is there to contain the gasses that emerge from your gas tank when it expands due to sitting and the ambient temps getting warmer.

When you turn on the car, The ECU sends an electrical signal to the purge-cut-solenoid on your firewall (or manifold if you have a later manifold). The signal opens the solenoid for a couple of seconds, and that allows the vacuum channel to your intake manifold to pass through the purge-cut solenoid to the top of the canister.

That vacuum then opens the mechanical valve on the canister and allows the captured fumes inside it to be sucked into the intake manifold, via the braided red hose, to be burnt.

The whole point of this overly complex system is to prevent those gasses from being released into the environment, but without the danger of an electical switch right there on the canister.

I hope that helps.

You can either test/replace the solenoid (the right thing to do for californians and environmentalists), or put a filter in place of the canister.

worked to perfection!!!!