Notices

Phantom Grip LSD install B Series transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD install B Series transmission.

No problems turning at low speeds? Is it on your DD or track car?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

d.d. and its hops a little bit and turnings kinda a bitch but nothing I can't deal with. and I never have to worry about it not locking up
Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
... and I never have to worry about it not locking up
You only have to worry about breaking axles and difs now, lol.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

no problems yet. and not too much of a worry wort about that sorta stuff. haven't broken a axle in two years.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip install B Series transmission.

Originally Posted by slomofo
Though you might be the only person on honda-tech who will ever install a Phantom Grip on their car, nice write up nonetheless.

never seems to amaze me,,, can't say something good without talking **** first.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

much props on the install many shy away from tranny work.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by beansandrice
Hello Honda-Tech brethren (and sisteren),

Mod's If I am in the Wrong thread/section please feel free to move. I mainly hang out in the 88-91 EF section and rarely poke my head out.

Before I start this Build I would like to say that yes.

I do realize that the Phantom Grip (P.G.) line of LSD products are considered by some to be a waste of money.
But I think that a lot of this hater info is mostly passed down through the grapevine (noobs) and not based off of experiencing the Spring loaded LSD.

I have nothing against the product and know many who love it as well as some whom hate it.

SOOOO!! That said lets start (by reading this you certify that you have enough mechanical knowledge to do this and i am liable for nothing..... Right???!?)

Step 1. You should have a nice solid work area to perform this task, some good ole WD-40 a good set of quality punches a set of dikes a small screw driver and a nylon padded ball peen hammer or other hard material mallet.

Step 2. Tear down. I will not go into this because it is very well covered by SEARCHING! Here is a Very informative Build Thread by HONDABULL http://www.ht-archive.com/showthread.php?t=2443459

as well as a VERY KILLER video by Evans-tuning http://articles.evans-tuning.com/200...-differential/

Step 3. Diff is out.

There is a little skinny spring pin (some call bitchpin?) in this little hole.

It must be tapped out from the reverse side of the Diff (opposite side of reverse gear). I find that spring pins like to be sprayed with WD-40 and tapped out slowly and straight. I also swear by these kinds of punches since they have a bevel/recess to avoid "flowering" the end of the pin.

If you use a Nail or Screwdriver or some other thing besides a nice punch you are on your own, My cheap friend!

Step 4. The spider pin should move like butter and slide right out but sometimes it may need some persuasion. use the Nylon padded hammer.

Step 5. This ring gear bolt needs to be removed in order to clear a path for the P.G. Remember that these fine thread bolts are REVERSE THREAD clearly marked on the bolt head.

Now you should be here and the Phantom Grip is almost ready to move into its new home! (between spider gears)

Step 6. Eyeball the hole in the Phantom Grip and ensure that the hole lines up with the Spider Gear pin holes and push the pin into the assembly until it stops early (It will not travel all the way in).

Step 7. These are spring pressure retention plates/pins. They can now be gently pryed off with a small screw driver they "pop" off so dont crap your pants.. Go slow and easy until the plates come off.

Remove pins.

Step 8. Spray some good ole WD-40 and start tapping the Spider gear pin while keeping mind that the Spider Gear pin has a hole which must be aligned with the hole on the Diff. The Spring pin goes in there.

Step 9. Almost done! Clean the Spring pin as well as the Spring pin hole with brake Cleaner/Carb Cleaner. Install spring pin the way it came out (see photo). I use some red Loctite on the spring pin for added security.
Keeping as straight as possible tap the Spring Pin into the Diff until it sits flush.

Step 10. Gather all these pieces!! You do not want them in the diff. Trash em!

You are done. You deserve a beer.. Assemble tranny and go to your Race Track and give the P.G. a try!!

After thoughts? None really. I will post up vids and pics in my build thread when I am done. I got the P.G. brand new for 120bux off a friend so I took an hour and put it in. I understand the principle behind how this works. And it is based off a good idea so What the hell.

Cheers!
Nice Job! i installed one on my turbo d16 i would recommend getting a magnet drain plug
Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont care if these aren't as good as a helical or plate diff, I just want to know if they are truly better than an open diff, and if they last. I look forward to your testing.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fireant
I dont care if these aren't as good as a helical or plate diff, I just want to know if they are truly better than an open diff, and if they last. I look forward to your testing.
word im more interested in the testing involved in one of these. a good write up is good but doesn't prove the product is great in my book.i still feel the PG is more of a band-aid for a lack of lsd and the longer you have it installed the worse it is on the spider gears. then again i would do this on a d-series transmission lol.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for this write up! I'm pulling out my Ys1 now to throw one in. Awesome write up.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 661rex89si
word im more interested in the testing involved in one of these. a good write up is good but doesn't prove the product is great in my book.i still feel the PG is more of a band-aid for a lack of lsd and the longer you have it installed the worse it is on the spider gears. then again i would do this on a d-series transmission lol.
I ran one for along time and had no issues. It cornered better, took off better. Worth it i think since its like half the price of the cheapest aftermarket LSD.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fireant
they wear i been using mine for about 6 months now and u can tell they wear with a magnet drain plug
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anxious to see the results you get from this mod. Good job on the 'how to'
Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM

I'm in also!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatchBnuts
Nice Job! i installed one on my turbo d16 i would recommend getting a magnet drain plug
Wow, I don't see how this spring loaded metal block grinding against gears could ever be a good thing. Just thinking about it kinda makes me cringe...
Old 01-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well its not exactly grinding against any gears.?!
It pushes the spider gears out and locks up the pin gears. I do have a magnetic drain plug along with the factory Magnet sweeper. My car is almost done with its Super poorman build!

Name:  SDC11229.jpg
Views: 4032
Size:  109.1 KB
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Camry lip FTW!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am hoping that with the camry lip, beat up Lic.Plate and old ls mesh's I can stay away from tickets! lol
Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well its not exactly grinding against any gears.?!
It pushes the spider gears out and locks up the pin gears
I don't think you get what he's saying. The spider gears are not made to be pushed or become a wear item, like a friction plate. The concept is similar to how common clutch-type LSDs work...without the clutch.

I believe it was OPM motorsports or something that had a open-differential conversion similar to the Phantom Grip but was more complete(I'm under the impression it didn't load the spider gears; spider gears were replaced, probably with clutches like regular clutch/plate LSDs).
Old 01-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay here is a good comparo of a guy whom was selling his PG used on ebay. The guy runs a boosted b16 and pushes that thing. He got his hands on a CTR tranny and sold his PG. I dont see wear on it?

Used PG pics

New pic.
Name:  PGpic.jpg
Views: 4080
Size:  38.0 KB
Old 01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Either way it is in there and not coming out unless I hate it.

Performance updates soon. I have to break in the engine first.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The unit itself doesn't wear out, the spider gears do. Or both. Think about how it works.

The most abuse the part would see is actually in road course, where the spiders would be turning at different speeds for longer periods of time. Luckily, I guess, not much if any road course guys use that part.

Keep it in there if you wish, no body is arguing or telling you to take it out. Just informing, and what to possibly expect.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K2e2vin
The spider gears are not made to be pushed or become a wear item, like a friction plate. The concept is similar to how common clutch-type LSDs work...without the clutch.
Yeah, I haven't seen a good explanation on how these things exactly work and what exactly take the beating here. My crappy guess would be that the gears that the PG are pushing outward on are directly connected to the axles. So if the axles are rotating at the same rate, there is no wear on the gears or the PG because its moving as one unit. As soon as the axles move at different rates, that's when there is friction and wear on the diff carrier, gears and PG. Unless there was something you install along with it to take that abuse, I'd rather just get an OBX and rebuild it for about the same price. I want to see the result of this! lol A teardown and inspection after some serious abuse!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay here is a good comparo of a guy whom was selling his PG used on ebay. The guy runs a boosted b16 and pushes that thing. He got his hands on a CTR tranny and sold his PG. I dont see wear on it?

Used PG pics

New pic.
doesnt even look used at all why did he take it out?

First pic i can see alil bit of wear in not much tho how long was it used?

i wonder what his spider gears look like?

Quick Reply: Phantom Grip LSD install B Series transmission.