Notices

Overheating after much cooling system work, cracked block/head?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating after much cooling system work, cracked block/head?

I flushed my cooling system a couple of weeks ago, and hooked my a/c fan up to my primary fans' power/neg so that when the first comes on, the a/c comes on (I don't have a/c so it is never used neways). The corner of the 2nd fan rubbed a hold in my radiator, so I had to take it out and patch the hole yesterday. I went ahead and replaced my bottom radiator hose and thermostat while I was working on the radiator. I got everything fixed, and refilled my system and bled it. When cruising now though, I am starting to overheat constantly. If I flip on the heat it goes back down, but will go right back up if I turn the heat off. My thermostat is working, as the bottom radiator hose is getting hot after the coolant starts to flow through. My primary electric fan is also working, and is constantly on. It doesn't seem to overheat while ideling, but I haven't tested enough to make sure. What could be causing this? I originally though maybe I had cracked my head/block, but my oil seems fine and it doesn't seem to be overheating while ideling. The radiator is staying full after driving, and the overflow tank is not being drained. I think I am getting pressure in my radiator though, as Wednesday (after I fixed the leak, but before I fixed the thermostat/bottom radiator) when I got home it was bubbling a little bit (Cracked head?). Does anyone have any ideas or signs of what to look out to find what the problem is?

jB
Old 05-30-2002, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Overheating after much cooling system work, cracked block/head? (PeloTudo)

how do you know your thermostat is working? is it new? i had this problem initally with my ZC and it turned ot to ba a bad thermostat. thats the 1st thing i would try if it isn't "NEW". if not that check your oil for water...possible blown headgasket. if you aren't loosing any coolant i doubt this is the probelm. but i would honestly get a new thermostat and swap it out, there only a few bucks.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating after much cooling system work, cracked block/head? (91efzc)

I went ahead and replaced my bottom radiator hose and thermostat while I was working on the radiator.
...It's new. My lower radiator hose is also getting hot after the car reached operating temp, right before the fan comes on...so hot coolant is flowing through it...

jB

[Modified by PeloTudo, 11:00 PM 5/30/2002]
Old 05-30-2002, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Overheating after much cooling system work, cracked block/head? (91efzc)

if not that check your oil for water...possible blown headgasket.