Notices

Old honda guy, back with 2 EF sedans

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Old honda guy, back with 2 EF sedans

I've been in the Honda game since 2000, had a 90 ex sedan and a 90 RT4WD wagon for the longest time. Moved to an 03 Element, but missed the EF's so I'm back. I just bought a 91 EF Sedan LX Auto from my cousin for $100 and a 1988 DX Sedan Manual shell from an old friend for another $100. I'll be driving the 91 (after I do a manual conversion and mpfi/obd1 conversion hopefully this weekend) while I build the 88 from the ground up.

Here are some pics of the 91 when I got it. I'll post some of the 88 when I get it over to my house. I got some 13" VX wheels for the 91 and some DA seats I'll be putting in as well since the drivers seat is bent.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: Old honda guy, back with 2 EF sedans

looks like a great place to start
a little cleaning will change it alot
Old 12-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the other one (the 88) has a cleaner body with almost no rust, so that's going to be my "luxury" sedan that gets all the goodies. I haven't quite decided on what I'm going to do with the one pictured above. Been debating the civic truck cause I'm always picking up engines and stuff and don't feel like buying an actually truck just for that stuff. lol We'll see what happens in a year or so when the 88 gets done.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to see more EF sedans coming back, I also recently got back into one, 89 LX 5 speed. Congrats and what are your engine plans?
Old 12-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The one pictured above is staying stock for the time being - d15b2. The 88 is getting a z6 with arias pistons around the 9.5:1 compression range, eagle rods, z6 head and intake (shooting for the 300-400whp range). DX/LX manual trans with carbon synchros, would like to find an LSD, have to look and see if anybody makes one for the cable trans still. Haven't decided on a turbo size yet, wanting something that won't spool till the 4k range so I can still drive it as a daily and not always be in boost for gas mileage. Innovative mounts and traction bar, tein street advanced coilovers, energy suspension, rear disc brake conversion. The reason why I'm not going si/ex trans is cause I don't race much, and I hate driving around the freeways here at 85mph and sitting at like 4k+ rpm. My RT4WD gear ratios drove me insane. ha ha I'm shooting for more comfort with power to get up hills and have fun while being reliable to travel a couple states away sort of thing.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are a couple pictures of my old sedan (don't judge me, it was way back in the day - lol) and my wagon I had a few years ago.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:25 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Looks better than my daily driver sedan, but I still love mine. MFactory make a D-series LSD - I know they make one for 40mm diff bearings, and I think they also make one for 35mm diff bearings.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I'll have to check them out. Just pulled the blue auto into the garage to start the auto2manual conversion. Excited to have a manual car again. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend, but we'll see.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Made some progress yesterday. Got the auto trans out, clutch and manual trans in, axles and suspension are all back together. Going to try and work on the wiring for the mpfi conversion and the pedals today. Had to run to the junk yard to getting a late start.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably my cleanest MPFI conversion yet. Still have to extend the IACV and TPS connectors, but that's about it. Gonna get a little work done on the pedal assy tonight, but doubt I'll get it done before I'm ready to call it a night. Gotta wait on the obd1 conversion harness to get here, that will probably be what holds me up the most.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you going to buy a new IACV. I would bc I have to. I think
Old 01-01-2019, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Doubt it. I don't buy new parts unless I have an issue with that part and I can prove it through troubleshooting.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

youve been judged on that yellow sedan
haha im from those years when the body kits were awwsome
all the work that goes into making them work
Old 01-03-2019, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I definitely don't miss all the fiberglass work I had to do to that front bumper to make it fit - it's actually a hatch bumper modified to fit the sedan.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the pedal assembly installed last night. I completely spaced that you have to pull the dash to do it, so I got the whole pedal assy unbolted (minus the top bolt) then realized you have to remove the dash. ha ha Here are some pics though. Also got my new shift **** and obd1 jumper harness in too.

What a mess - ha ha

Dash is out

New pedal assembly is in

Dash is back in

Shot under the dash of the new pedals cause you guys have never seen this before

All that's left - remove auto shifter and put in manual shift linkage

My new shiny ****

OBD1 Jumper Harness
Old 01-03-2019, 10:44 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Not that pulling the dash is super hard, but for future reference, you can swap pedal clusters without pulling the dash. To get to the last "hidden" bolt, you just have to drop the steering column and pull out a piece of duct work. You have to flex said piece of duct work, but it's thin and soft enough to bend out of the way to get it off the fresh air / flapper box and the heater control unit. You can also get rid of the blue shift interlock box under the driver's seat - the PM6 ECU won't communicate with it any longer. Good progress - it looks just like the interior of mine...same color.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering what that box was under the seat. My old ex didn't have it so was curious. Going to see if I can shampoo the carpets and clean up the interior some now. Glad I pulled the dash though - made it easier to put the new pedal assembly back in and hook up the cables.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:53 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stampern22
I was wondering what that box was under the seat. My old ex didn't have it so was curious. Going to see if I can shampoo the carpets and clean up the interior some now. Glad I pulled the dash though - made it easier to put the new pedal assembly back in and hook up the cables.
That blue box is what triggers the ignition interlock that prevents you from pulling the key out of the ignition if the auto shift lever isn't in park.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I'm going to be jumping the wires for Park and the Clutch switch. And then using a P06 chipped ecu. I've got a moates ostrich and data logger so I can fine tune my daily driving after the mpfi conversion.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yellow sedan is clean tho, instantly brought me back to those days.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jarruz
Yellow sedan is clean tho, instantly brought me back to those days.
Thanks. I had a lot of fun with that car back in the day. Now that I've done a bunch of swaps and builds and stuff I'm starting pretty fresh on these 2 sedans and hopefully build them right the first time. I'll be picking up my other sedan in a week or so and will be doing a full build thread on it.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty much have the sedan back and running now. Got a lot done over the weekend. Cleaned up the interior, modified the factory air box to work with the mpfi intake manifold (see pictures), got the DA drivers seat in, fill trans with fluid, installed starter, fired up and got everything idling and running good after mpfi and obd1 conversion. Somehow I got B10 and B12 backwards for the CYP sensor. Not sure how I did that, but easy fix. No check engine light now. Idles at 750rpm almost on the dot. Only things I have to take car of now is the rear engine mount has a ton of play, so I'll be ordering a new one and putting that in even though I hate working on the rear mount - the shifter movement is more annoying. Enjoy the pics!!

Before cleaning

After cleaning

How the air box was before modding

Where I cut the air box

How it fits now

A little tight on the back, but manageable

Before I put everything back in - carpet is still dirty, but will tackle that later.

Engine bay all put back together.

Interior all put together.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no kiddin you made a bunch of progress
Old 01-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great man keep it up
Old 01-07-2019, 03:27 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good. I did the same thing to my stock air box - had to use the flexible intake tube from an EG, but it fits and looks great IMO.

Quick Reply: Old honda guy, back with 2 EF sedans