Notices

Oil in spark plug housing/hole. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil in spark plug housing/hole. HELP

When I removed the spark plug wire/tube and the valve cover, I notice that there's oil inside one of the spark plug. I probably got oil in there from the spark plug wire/tube. Anywho, before I remove the old spark plugs, what's the best way to get rid of the oil? Is this something I should be worried about or is it just part of valve cover job? btw, my baby was running great before I started on this job - replacing timing belt, water pump and spark plugs. Thanks guys.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil in spark plug housing/hole. HELP (braass91)

It's just part of the valve cover job. On the inside of the valve cover around the spark plug holes there are little seals called spark plug tube seals. Just make sure that they are in your valve cover replacement set and you're good to go. I think they are a pain to remove if I remember correctly.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:36 AM

i have the same problem with my ef. but i beleive if it is torqued correctly u may have to get new valve cover gasket..but not completly sure
Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in spark plug housing/hole. HELP (EFHondaRue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFHondaRue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's just part of the valve cover job. On the inside of the valve cover around the spark plug holes there are little seals called spark plug tube seals. Just make sure that they are in your valve cover replacement set and you're good to go. I think they are a pain to remove if I remember correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay. I have new spark plug tube seals and na ew gasket ready to go. But, what do I do about the oil inside the hole where one the old spark plug currenly installed? Should I remove the oil first and then, remove the old spark plug before installing a new one? Should I unscrew the old spark plug w/o worrying about the oil? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problom just let it drain in to the cyl. it should still start.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in spark plug housing/hole. HELP (Singlecam4dr)

Just remove the spark plug and let the oil drain into the cylinder. You will not have a problem. It may smoke a little when you first start it up but nothing to worry about.

Replacing the spark plug seals is no problem. Just pull the valve cover off and you'll see how easy it is.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Oil in spark plug housing/hole. HELP (sgallagher)

remove the valve cover and look on the bottom there should be 4 round/oval rubber seals (aka tube seals) replace them and put it back together and roll!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sgallagher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just remove the spark plug and let the oil drain into the cylinder. You will not have a problem. It may smoke a little when you first start it up but nothing to worry about.

Replacing the spark plug seals is no problem. Just pull the valve cover off and you'll see how easy it is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well they arnt the EASIEST thing to do... you usually have to do some pretty heft convincing to get em out and you'll probobly need a hammer and something thats the diameter of the seal or bigger to get the new ones in... I used a block of wood and it worked great
Old 04-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sgallagher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just remove the spark plug and let the oil drain into the cylinder. You will not have a problem. It may smoke a little when you first start it up but nothing to worry about.

Replacing the spark plug seals is no problem. Just pull the valve cover off and you'll see how easy it is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-18-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Oil in spark plug housing/hole. HELP (EFstyle)

nah man u dont need a hammer lol all u do is just take like a flat head screw driver and pop them out or a metal pick. u just push the new tube seals in with ur fingers and when u tighten the valve cover down on the head it will push them in the rest of the way.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in spark plug housing/hole. HELP (ahglaze1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ahglaze1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nah man u dont need a hammer lol all u do is just take like a flat head screw driver and pop them out or a metal pick. u just push the new tube seals in with ur fingers and when u tighten the valve cover down on the head it will push them in the rest of the way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just replaced them and u're right - Only with these oiled fingers. Appreciate all your inputs. I will finish tomorrow 'cause I got the wrong grommets from the dealer.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 AM

yea lol i have never seen anyone use a hammer before and just ask ur dealer for tube seals thats wat they are called
Old 04-21-2008, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in spark plug housing/hole. HELP (ahglaze1)

91 Civic Hatch DX 1.5L Egine
I just finished replacing a timing belt, drive belts, water pump and spark plugs with all OEM parts. I started the car but the engine won't turn. This is the first time I have ever attempted something like this beyond checking oil and coolant reservoir. Anywho, I am comfortable with everything I did except the timing belt. I had a hard time removing the crankshaft bolt and replacing the timing belt. I did turned the crankshaft CLOCKWISE and one time, the timing belt came off the crankshaft pulley (w/o me knowing) while turning COUNTERCLOCKWISE, but I kept turning the crankshaft hoping the camshaft would turn....maybe a couple of times or so. After putting the timing belt back on, I did turn it but with some resistance. But after that, I did set the TDC and marks according to the manual (1.5 engine lined up with the top of the engine block), turned the crankshaft COUNTERCLOCKWISE 3 teeth, loosened the adjusting bolt to tighten the timing belt, and tightening the adjusting bolt and torqued according to the manual. What did I do wrong and how can I get the engine to turn? Thanks guys n gals.

Should I go back and re-install the timing belt, being careful to follow exactly what the manuals says, plus the fact that this will be my 2nd time to do it?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:03 PM

redo the timing belt and then try hopefully u didnt bend any valves lol.