Notices

The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (doublethink)

Good info
Old 03-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

My security: .45 and a pager alarm.

Steal my car and I kill you
Old 03-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's funny when most ppl's car get stolen, they got all the sh*t in there but no alarm. And they answered, "I was saving up money for a good alarm next." Wrong!!! Alarms/security first then upgrades. Good ideas. But, I got a better one. Fingerprint. Yeap. One touch of my finger will activate all my kill switches and start the car. This is a prototype and I will post a write up on it when the trial time is over.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:18 PM

wow good ideas
Old 03-10-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (88 civic ef)

Nice writeup. Very useful as probably 99% of us have had close calls with our cars being stolen

You need to mention stuff about towing, the boot, and GPS tracking, and it will be worthy of sticky status
Old 03-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ludesrv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesrv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Having a peice of metal welded over your door handle prevents window insertion out the locks. I've done it to mine, ruins the paint on the outside, but I'd rather repaint a door then replace a car.

Now. Having 3-4 kill switches is key. Having one for the fuel pump, the battery, and the starter. Judging by where you are and how long you are going to leave, you activate 2-3 of them. Or all of them.

Both my cars have fuel pump cuts, my EF civic has a battery cut (relocated battery to the rear) and I will be extending the starter wires to the inside of the car to be able to cut the juice to the starter, if the car doesn't turns over, thats a bitch to take.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you sir have the right idea. make it annoying as hell, and just keep an eye out for flatbeds.

i forgot about the door welding to avoid the jimmy. ill add that to the original if thats ok with you.

thanks for all the positive feedback guys, knowledge is power.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (SECURITY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SECURITY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You need to mention stuff about towing, the boot, and GPS tracking, and it will be worthy of sticky status </TD></TR></TABLE>

forgot lojack and gps and flatbedding...

good point, ill add stuff about it.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:23 PM

I'll add my section since I myself have been a victim and know better ways to never be a victim.. just think like the theif. How would you take your own car, make it impossible.

I gotta ask that you take out the part about "don't post how to break into a car".
It doesn't matter, most of the people you need to worry about rarely touch a computer - the information is available by searching google and always will be. Nobody posting that will ever cause someones car to be stolen - the information is available.

1. Satellite based GPS tracking - If you park under a tree, the satelite can't find your car. It's the lamest tracking method ever, i've used it. I hate it. Waste of money, don't bother.

2. Cellular based GPS - Good if you're with a good carrier, I only trust nextel/sprint but every area is different. I use a cell phone with online GPS tracking. This allows me to tuck away a cell with a charger hooked to the ignition-2 wires - it charges whenever I drive, and you know how long a cell phone battery lasts if you don't use it. I can find my baby if i need to.

3. Lojack - The police get to find your car, you don't. The police must have a patrol unit, equipped with Lojack Tracking drive within a 10 block radius (or less) of your car, in order for them to detect it and investigate. It takes a hour or so for the tracking to even activate

In my own personal experience with lojack, it took the police 24 hours to find the vehicle, everything was already stripped and being saw-zalled by the time the police got to it. Total loss and you know insurance doesn't cover it all....]
My cell-tracking allows me to find it the second i know its missing - i can direct police to the location if i choose to do so.

4. Some of the major alarm vendors now have $1000 units like lojack that are cellular based like my system. I haven't even google'd these devices lately, mainly because of their cost. But if someone can call your cell phone the second your car moves when it's supposed to be armed - then that's a pretty good deal. I like it, but i don't think it's worth what their charging for it.
*every second counts when trying to catch a theif in the act*

Thanks doublethink

Old 03-10-2006, 05:01 PM

bookmarked
Old 03-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (NikoZai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NikoZai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2. Cellular based GPS - Good if you're with a good carrier, I only trust nextel/sprint but every area is different. I use a cell phone with online GPS tracking. This allows me to tuck away a cell with a charger hooked to the ignition-2 wires - it charges whenever I drive, and you know how long a cell phone battery lasts if you don't use it. I can find my baby if i need to.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt even know this existed?

great info thanks niko.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:17 PM

With the use of taking the ECU out. Can the ECU break from being 'handled' to much? I know its just a circuit board, perhaps the solder connectings are weak or something.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (ijjz)

this is good but if your realy smart like you should be youll already know this stuff i had all that done to my first honda just by thinking about it at night when i couldnt sleep cause of fear my car would get jacked. multiple kill switches you gotta think like a car theif it helps if you know some trust me there are plenty especially in the honda world. oh yea multiple wheel locks differnt kinds cause a theif isnt gonna waste time if they cant get the whole car theyll get the wheels and other small stuff.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:34 AM

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (e jay one)

i had a pretty good idea that might work to help keep your doors from opening at all.

you know these people that have shaved door handles will have a button to pop the door open. well sometimes its the lock unlock button on the inside of the car. so if you accidently hit this the door pops open driving down the road. so they came up with a deadbolt type lock that drills through your door and the door pillar. when you car is on, the dead bolt locks making the dor impossible to open.

i was thinking you could wire one of these things up with an alarm so when you arm your alarm, it dead bolts the door closed. the theive wouldnt know why because its inside the door where he cant see it.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:41 AM

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (.noah *****)

^ Someone else did that deadbolt thing. Cost around $60 for remote activated dead bolts that require one to crawl in through the window or hatch to gain access.

I'll post the link when I get home.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (SECURITY)

Thanks for making this thread. A lot of great information here.

CRX Forum
Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (goCRXgo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doublethink &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Be respectful with your car and then when the alarm is going off for real you have a better chance of someone seeing the crime.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for being a considerate neighbor!

Respect your neighbors
Be respectful with your stereo, or else your neighbors will be glad if your car gets stolen! You know who I'm talking to!

Garage
Fantastic security measure for keeping the car out of sight. A persistent thief can open a garage, so if you are out of town leaving your baby in the garage, take some additional measures for securing your car inside it (hell, take the wheels off and bring your lug nuts on vacation with you), and let your trusted neighbors know to call the cops if there is suspicious activity.

Blocking
Park the baby facing a wall-- park another vehicle directly behind it. Be creative.

Downtown parking
Pay a few dollars for an enclosed parking garage that has gates/attendants...not perfect, but much better than the outdoor "anonymous drop-box" parking under bridges and on the edge of downtown areas.

Theaters and malls
Avoid parking your baby at these places at all costs. Sporting events are not a good place to park your baby either.

Meets
While meet-ups with friends can be fun, the huge meets are like window shopping for theives. They dont steal your car at the meet, but they take your license tag and note your mods for later reference...its the first step in casing you. We all want to think people are as honest and considerate as ourselves, but even pretty girls can be up to something. If you go to meets, be aware of this factor, dont ever flaunt your stuff to strangers, and never show your kill switches or other security measures to a stranger.

Modified by fireant at 11:10 AM 3/11/2006
Old 03-11-2006, 08:02 AM

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (goCRXgo)

I've got to throw in a couple thoughts and comments that people should know.

1. "GPS" in it's self is a <U>receiving</U> unit only!!! Think about those GPS units you can pick up for camping. The unit receives signals from a couple satelites and computes your location. If you mount the unit in your car, then the car knows where it is. <U>However unless your car has a method of getting that information to you, it's of no use!!</U> On a system that uses GPS data, the car normally has to use a cell phone line to transmit the information.

2. Any system that counts on the police "activating" it shouldn't be used due to the fact that you have to wait for the police to have the time and interest in looking for your car. With LoJack, you have to go to a police station and file a written report of the car being stolen before they will do anything. Think about how much time that alone will take!

3. When shopping for any "tracking" system, find out what the process is for you to get the location or status of your car. In other words, if your cars alarm (assume it's silent) goes off, does your car contact the monitoring company and they in turn contact you. How does the monitoring company contact you? If you want the monitoring company to track your car, do you have to go on the web to get the location or can you just call them and give an ID number. If the monitoring company gets a signal that your car is stolen, will they contact the police if they can't contact you?

4. Do you want a monitoring company to be able to shut down the car? Personally, I'd say NO.

5. As for the "flat-bed" comments; just use a DEI digital tilt sensor. As they go to pull the car up the flat-bed the attitude of the car changes and the alarm goes off.

Wes
Old 03-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (Wes V)

Nice. You may want to search H-T and post some more info in the "Free/Ghetto" category. I know there's been alot more things you can do other than puling uour fuses and ECU. But nonetheless, very nice summary of what every EF owner should already be doing!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civhatch90)

I call up hot girls and ask them to crawl through my hatch nowadays. It's (a) a compliment and (b) a great view.

keyless handles
Old 03-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (.noah *****)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .noah ***** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you car is on, the dead bolt locks making the dor impossible to open.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the problem is the door doesnt need to open. the act of prying the door top can be enough.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16_madman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I call up hot girls and ask them to crawl through my hatch nowadays. It's (a) a compliment and (b) a great view.

keyless handles </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^LOL
Old 03-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer. (fireant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fireant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> for being a considerate neighbor!

Respect your neighbors
Be respectful with your stereo, or else your neighbors will be glad if your car gets stolen! You know who I'm talking to!

Garage
Fantastic security measure for keeping the car out of sight. A persistent thief can open a garage, so if you are out of town leaving your baby in the garage, take some additional measures for securing your car inside it (hell, take the wheels off and bring your lug nuts on vacation with you), and let your trusted neighbors know to call the cops if there is suspicious activity.

Blocking
Park the baby facing a wall-- park another vehicle directly behind it. Be creative.

Downtown parking
Pay a few dollars for an enclosed parking garage that has gates/attendants...not perfect, but much better than the outdoor "anonymous drop-box" parking under bridges and on the edge of downtown areas.

Theaters and malls
Avoid parking your baby at these places at all costs. Sporting events are not a good place to park your baby either.

Meets
While meet-ups with friends can be fun, the huge meets are like window shopping for theives. They dont steal your car at the meet, but they take your license tag and note your mods for later reference...its the first step in casing you. We all want to think people are as honest and considerate as ourselves, but even pretty girls can be up to something. If you go to meets, be aware of this factor, dont ever flaunt your stuff to strangers, and never show your kill switches or other security measures to a stranger.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^ im adding these, great points i forgot to mention!!!!
Old 03-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MEETS: that was a great point! and dont floss your power at the meets as well.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:31 PM

Default Re: (beyondspecs_jamar)

awesome infos this thread will be useful once im on my spring break.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Re: (SOHCthiz)

awesome info
Old 03-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

amazing post.. very useful

Quick Reply: The Official EF Security Thread | Read Disclaimer.