Notices

OEM Airbox/intake arm options for Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:07 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM Airbox/intake arm options for Civic

Did a search and came up with a few threads, but all had broken pics/links or just really bad information in them.

Basically, what I'm looking for is OEM airbox and intake arm options for a 91 Si hatchback. Motor is the stock D16A6. I want an OEM solution because I want to keep the OEM look (and that dinky OEM intake arm has been shown to hurt HP in the upper RPMs).

I'm assuming the Si-R intake box won't "bolt-in". However, I did see a few folks talking about using the OEM USDM airbox with a 90-93 Integra intake arm. Otherwise, I'm not sure how many options there are due to the battery being in the way.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OEM Airbox/intake arm options for Civic

yessur. if u use the integra intake arm and a b series throttle body u can (in theory) bolt up any oem b series airbox. my favorite designed airbox is from the dc integra gsr/ls i believe. its the only airbox that uses a cone shaped filter that resembles the aftermaket design. no real noticeable gains from the upgrades ive listed but if u compare it to stock on a dyno im sure there will be gains somewhere on the power band
Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 PM

So I wanted to bump this back up with the following as I've started tinkering with the car again:

1) Assuming OEM D16a6 airbox, is there a good fitting alternate OE intake arm?

2) Anyone have any details of replacing both the intake arm and OE airbox with another OE Honda solution?

Again, I do not want an aftermarket intake. I want a better OEM solution, if one exists.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd00
So I wanted to bump this back up with the following as I've started tinkering with the car again:

1) Assuming OEM D16a6 airbox, is there a good fitting alternate OE intake arm?

2) Anyone have any details of replacing both the intake arm and OE airbox with another OE Honda solution?

Again, I do not want an aftermarket intake. I want a better OEM solution, if one exists.
i know its not OEM, but the arm is the only thing that is restricting air flow before the TB. the airbox outlet is about 3" and larger than the TB if i recall correct.

i fixed that by replacing it with dryer ducting. and i dont think any OEM arm would restrict it any less than my solution.

it also does away with the valve cover breather into the intake. a beneficial side effect to me, i see no good reason to dump oil vapor into the intake. but then you need to dump the output of the valve cover nipple into a catch can, or let oil drip from a tiny filter, as was popular in the 90's....
Old 07-09-2015, 01:35 PM

Yeah, the OEM A6 intake arm is tiny. I really want to keep it stock looking and I was avoiding the "home depot" solutions in hope that something else OE Honda would be a decent fitment.

Curious about the 90-93 Integra intake arm. I never did follow up on that.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i really dont think youll find anything better. yet alone fit.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:38 AM

I'll see what I can come up with. Wish Samco could custom build a hose for me.

I need to find a 90-93 Integra intake arm locally (or someone willing to donate to the cause).
Old 07-10-2015, 10:57 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever look into 4th gen Prelude and similar Accord air box setups yet?

This specifically is coming to mind...

http://www.icbmotorsport.com/prtysdyairin.html
Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Ever look into 4th gen Prelude and similar Accord air box setups yet?

This specifically is coming to mind...

JDM Prelude Type S Dynamic Air Intake Kit 220HP BB6 H22A S Spec
I've been toying with using a 92-95 Civic intake arm off the TB then putting a small section of plastic/aluminum tubing to the airbox opening (and attaching with standard hose clamps and a silicon connector).

Just not sure yet. I need to mock some stuff up. Although I'd love to have that small 45 degree rubber intake arm in the airbox setup you linked. With that I could then run my aluminum tube to the airbox.

Again, the idea is to make everything OEM or look OEM.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth then, this is what I believe is a 94+ Integra arm on my car.

NOTE: Skunk manifold places the TB closer to the firewall.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
For what it's worth then, this is what I believe is a 94+ Integra arm on my car.

NOTE: Skunk manifold places the TB closer to the firewall.

that arm, whatever it is, is more restrictive at the air box nipple than my ducting.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:07 AM

Bumping this back up for fresh ideas.

So I was looking at the intake arm from my 88-91 Civic AEM short ram intake and the bend looks exactly that of the OEM 88-91 Si rubber intake tube. I don't really want to cut up a perfectly good AEM SRI, but it would accomplish what I need.

I thought about buying an ebay cheapo SRI and cutting that tube, but since everyone uses generic pictures I don't know if the bend will line up with the OEM airbox.

Any other ideas? Also saw an old thread about someone saying a 99-00 Civic Si intake arm will work as well.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so this Aem Induction 22 400B Short RAM Induction System Fits 88 91 Civic CRX | eBay

and cut it and put a coupler between the OEM air box nipple?

sure that should work and would be better.

i'd paint it black.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tyson
so this Aem Induction 22 400B Short RAM Induction System Fits 88 91 Civic CRX | eBay

and cut it and put a coupler between the OEM air box nipple?

sure that should work and would be better.

i'd paint it black.
$91 for just a tube, lol. I'll just cut the one that I have as I don't think I'd get that out of my entire kit.

But yes, with a couple of 2.75" silicone couplers (I only need one as the kit already has one) and it would look great and OEM. FWIW, my AEM intake tube was already painted flat black. I'll post some pics later on if I decide to go that route. It'd be the best of both worlds IMO.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:09 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

I did the cut pipe w/ OEM airbox in my eg. Works fine. You need a reducing coupler at the throttle body, ands a flex coupler at the airbox.

BTW, you want to keep the fresh air tube to the valvecover. If you are getting back-flow of fumes. & oil into your intake, then something is wrong with your PCV system. I run a clear hose to the valvecover to keep an eye on it. It's stayed clear and clean for almost 10 years. Stock b18c-r
Old 10-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 94eg!
I did the cut pipe w/ OEM airbox in my eg. Works fine. You need a reducing coupler at the throttle body, ands a flex coupler at the airbox.

BTW, you want to keep the fresh air tube to the valvecover. If you are getting back-flow of fumes. & oil into your intake, then something is wrong with your PCV system. I run a clear hose to the valvecover to keep an eye on it. It's stayed clear and clean for almost 10 years. Stock b18c-r

The AEM SRI for the 88-91 Si is actually 2.5" ID so the included silicone coupler fits perfect on the stock throttle body. I would probably need a reducer from the OE airbox to the cut AEM tube, however.

The more I think about this the more I think I'm going to proceed. Will certainly posts pics if I do.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:59 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

why not get a cheapo 3" intake, a 3"-2.5" reducer, and a 3" flex coupler. I guess it depends on what diameter the air-box exit is.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 94eg!
why not get a cheapo 3" intake, a 3"-2.5" reducer, and a 3" flex coupler. I guess it depends on what diameter the air-box exit is.

Because I have no way of knowing if a cheapo intake has the same OEM airtube bend. I'm running the stock a6 with he stock airbox (and I'm not cutting my OE airbox lid unless I can pickup an extra--anyone want to donate to the cause? ).

If someone knows if the cheapo $40 ebay intakes have the OEM bend, I'd get one. But I know the AEM does as I have one on hand.