Notices

OBD1 D15B7 in 4th gen (I swear I searched before posting!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD1 D15B7 in 4th gen (I swear I searched before posting!!)

Hi
So I have a carburated 91 Civic EC9 (EDM) and have a D15B7 engine laying around that I'd like to put in it. I don't know how, though, but I searched a lot, so I'll write what I think I know so far, so please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll point out what I really need to know at the end.

So to drop the B7 in there, I'm thinking of getting a interior harness from a Civic ED7 (comes with a D16A9), which is OBD0, jumper harness OBD0-1 and a P06 unit. And that would be it for this side of the firewall (I think).
For the engine bay:
As I have an OBD1 distributor, injectors, O2 sensor, engine harness, ect, I was thinking of just dropping it in and voila... But yea, obvious problem, the shock tower plugs don't match.
So my first major question is: Can I do what I just said, and somehow convert OBD1 shock plugs from engine harness into OBD0 plugs, and connect them to the chassis harness?

If not...
I read a lot of information on how to convert OBD0 to 1, and basically I would need a OBD0 engine harness, conversion harness for the distributor and O2 sensor.
But since I'm more than converting it, I'm upgrading to a B7 engine, what else would I need to do? For example, How would I connect the OBD0 engine harness to the OBD1 plugs on the intake mani sensors?
I'm a bit noob in this, could someone name all the sensors in the intake mani, throttle body, ect?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for bringing up something that has been debated over and over, but I really didn't see answers to this in particular anywhere :/
Old 12-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: OBD1 D15B7 in 4th gen (I swear I searched before posting!!)

think youve been searching in the wrong places

a d15b7 motor is the same as the one you have in your civic now
if you swap over just the block and head on your new b7 motor
everything else thats under your hood right now will bolt up and run fine
without having to remove wiring and worrying about obd1
you can leave it obdo and use all of your stuff thats in the car now

unless your thinking of useing the b7 intake manifold and dizzy and injectors and crap
if thats the case then you have to convert your harness over to obd1
and also do a dual point to multi point fuel injection swap on your harness
Old 12-28-2016, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For a swap, you always want to take your cars factory ENGINE BAY harness and MODIFY it to accept the various sensors/plugs for your new manifold/dizzy/injectors/o2 yada yada
Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solomon93
For a swap, you always want to take your cars factory ENGINE BAY harness and MODIFY it to accept the various sensors/plugs for your new manifold/dizzy/injectors/o2 yada yada
Thank you!
Now my problem is re-pinning the factory engine harness (OBD-0) to the OBD1 sensor plugs (from the new engine). I'll explain my problem/noob'ness after the next quote.

a d15b7 motor is the same as the one you have in your civic now
if you swap over just the block and head on your new b7 motor
everything else thats under your hood right now will bolt up and run fine
without having to remove wiring and worrying about obd1
you can leave it obdo and use all of your stuff thats in the car now
Nope, the current motor is a carb'd D14. No ECU, no harness, nothing. It's a EC9 Civic.
I'll have to upgrade it to ED7 trim (D16A9, OBD-0), except for the engine. After doing that, I'll have the OBD-0 interior harness, engine harness and an ECU.
Then it's an OBD-0-1 conversion (so I can drop a OBD1 b7 in it)
And that's where my questions begin. jumper harness to ECU is easy, OBD1 dizzy on OBD-0 engine harness is on the internet aswell.
My problem is: How do I make the MAP, TP sensor, ect work, as they have OBD-1 plugs and the harness has OBD-0 plugs. There has to be some info on the web aswell, but I wasn't lucky finding it, and that's why I created this topic.

Sorry for the late reply/thread digging, but now that I got some more info, I thought I'd reply and expose my questions with more detail.

EDIT:
Marcos Barrios
Yes, I'm planning on using the IM, injectors and all that, that's why I'm considering an OBD swap. Sorry for not reading the whole thing at first.