Notices

OBD0 To OBD1 Conversion No Start Has Fuel And Spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD0 To OBD1 Conversion No Start Has Fuel And Spark

Hey, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my issue here, because it's starting to get real strange.

So I have a 1990 Honda Civic Si Hatch with D16Z6 engine. Was running as good as it could with OBD0 PM6 for a good while but I decided to swap over to obd1 for more tuning options and ease of it all.

I bought a p28 chipped.
z6 distributor
obd0 to obd1 Zerg conversion harness ECU
obd0 to obd1 Zerg conversion harness Distributor plugs

Car is timed perfectly, like mentioned it was running great before swapping those components. Now, here is what it does and I will describe everything I have done in attempts to get it running.

The car cranks great! You can smell the heaps of fuel being released unburnt into the exhaust. If you pull the wires out you can see the spark jump from the wires to any ground I put it against.

Now the strange is this, car cranks perfect with the sparkplug wires out of the head, the second I put the sparkplug wires into the head in the correct order dizzy side and head side the car cranks but has a halt, and then cranks, and halts, cranks, and halts, STRANGEST THING! Like if the timing was flipped, but it does this with the two brand new distributors I put in.

So now here is what I have done:

I replaced the ECU jumper harness for another one. Was the same.
I rechecked the pins for the distributor jumper harness. All good runs the same since I didnt have to touch anything.
I took the ECU out and took it to my friends house and tried to run his Z6 with it and it ran perfect!
I have no check engine codes when jumping the SCS connector.
I purchased a separate distributor to make sure that it wasnt my distributor coil or something. Was the same and just returned it.
I rechecked engine mechanical timing IN HOPES that it had jumped a tooth magically. Timing was dead on.
I burned a new tune onto the chip. Nothing.

The car has not been touched at all aside from those OBD1 items that were swapped in, and the car ran perfect just 2 weeks ago when I took it apart. Im at a huge loss, I hope someone can help me out. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: OBD0 To OBD1 Conversion No Start Has Fuel And Spark

You didn't mention the grounds specifically, so just in case, did you check the ground on your thermostat housing was cleaned up and contacting well?
Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Silly question, but when you have the engine at TDC, does the distributor rotor point to cylinder one? I don't know if its even possible to put the rotor on backwards.

Everything else sounds good. If it is stopping you from cranking w/ everything hooked up it sounds like you are getting ignition at the wrong part of the stroke for one of the cylinders, so something might be up with the firing order.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people think you just need fuel and spark in order for a car to run, and that is true but you also need some other things. You need to have injector pulse, and the obvious compression. I know that you said it was running prior, so one can assume that is has compression. Have you checked for injector pulse? Just because you can smell fuel doesnt mean you have good injector pulse. You may come to find out that there is something wrong with the p28 you just purchased, maybe something with the injector driver inside.