Notices

Obd0 with obd1 Automatic ecu.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd0 with obd1 Automatic ecu.

I just got this second swap finished, but this is an automatic, and I took it for a 300 foot test drive and it would not rev abobe 3,000 rpms or go to second gear. Car runs perfect, idle, throttle cable is fine, it just wont go over to second gear. Tranny is hooked up fine, no torque conv issues for sure.

I thought i found the problem, i didnt have b3 and b4 pins connected to the ecu(upshift/downshift). But couldn't find where they went on my 91 civic harness.help would be excellent.

Tranny is automatic obd0, ecu is automatic obd1. Do i need a Transmission control module? Does obd0 even have a tcm. SORRY FOR SO MANY ANNOYING NE WTOPICS. i just suck at life.

Obd1 ecu in obd0 car.

Modified by La-quiete at 9:24 PM 7/22/2006

Modified by La-quiete at 9:25 PM 7/22/2006
Old 07-22-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Obd0 with obd1 Automatic ecu. (La-quiete)

Well i know that B3 and B4 in OBD0 is for the a/c compressor clutch relay and Fan. Your probably on track with the "TCM". OBD0 might have an internal control unit. Good luck with that Call an engine importer they might know.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Obd0 with obd1 Automatic ecu. (civicjdmb16a)

No i mean b3 and b4 in obd1. Which is upshift/ downshift.
Im lookin where to match those into obd0.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Obd0 with obd1 Automatic ecu.

Back from the dead, but i'm having this same issue. How did you wind up fixing this problem? that is if your still alive.....he he he any help from anyone is appreciated.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See your thread on D-series.org
Old 04-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i get bashed for defending myself, then get the topic closed. It's all good Bro!! But at least you see that i took your advise and searched remeber guys i'm using an 0BD0 trans with and OBD1 p28 ecu.....thanks
Old 04-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TCM? what pin out's are b3 and b4 anyone know, just like last question he asked above for obd1?

Last edited by BoRiCuA; 04-24-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 04-24-2011, 11:05 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BoRiCuA
Yeah i get bashed for defending myself, then get the topic closed. It's all good Bro!! But at least you see that i took your advise and searched remeber guys i'm using an 0BD0 trans with and OBD1 p28 ecu.....thanks
The thread got locked before I could make another post....BTW you are three years younger than me

Damn us old farts!!!!

AFAIK the OBD-0 tranny doesn't have the lockup solenoids that 92-95 does. Mine runs just fine without them. Sure it would help highway MPG but I still can get 35 mpg cruising at 70 mph.

In normal driving I prefer not having the lockup, it only bogs the motor down. Once cruising on the highway I could see having the lockup.

WARNING: Changing the rear rubber tranny mount on a 88-91 automatic Civic is worse than putting headers on a 1975 Mustang II 302 with the wrong 1971 C4 bellhousing/tranny.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mista Bone
The thread got locked before I could make another post....BTW you are three years younger than me

Damn us old farts!!!!

AFAIK the OBD-0 tranny doesn't have the lockup solenoids that 92-95 does. Mine runs just fine without them. Sure it would help highway MPG but I still can get 35 mpg cruising at 70 mph.

In normal driving I prefer not having the lockup, it only bogs the motor down. Once cruising on the highway I could see having the lockup.

WARNING: Changing the rear rubber tranny mount on a 88-91 automatic Civic is worse than putting headers on a 1975 Mustang II 302 with the wrong 1971 C4 bellhousing/tranny.
We are old huh.....he he he love honda's

will i get a code for not hooking them up? i've heard the other's that tried it saying that their car wouldn't rev right.... so what do i have to do?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just recieved some more info: I don't know if the wiring will be the only problem. There's a chance Honda uses different functionality to activate the torque converter lockup solenoid, etc...

I think you need to grab both Helms (the 4th gen from your car and the 5th gen) and compare the way the 2 transmissions function to be sure you don't need any other electronic or mechanical trickery to make it work. You're headed into uncharted territory. Use all the tools at your disposal.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also got this:
Ok, You must use the auto P28 ecu. the obd1 harness is good. even better if you get it built with an automatic plug. no big deal if you dont since its very easy to pin the ecu jumper harness. I HIGHLY recommend going to the junk yard and finding an automatic 92-95 ex or si and taking the ecu harness and as much of the wire pig tail as you can for the 3 connectors. this will give you plenty of extra pins and the proper colored wiring.
I used the stock auto tranny that came on the d15. worked perfectly for me. you CAN use the auto tranny from a 92-95 but then you have to wire in a transmission control unit as well as the ecu itself. its easier to keep what you got.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this also: You have to use the obd0 auto trans and he p28 auto ecu. The obd0 trans has a single lock up control solonoid while the p28 auto has two. You will have to simulate the second solenoid or you will get a cel. You do have to change the drivers side motor mount but I did not have to change the oil pan. For wiring I just did research, research and more research! The only tip I can give is DO NOT start this swap until you have EVERYTHING you plan on swapping. Don't wait till you have the car apart to realize you need something. Also, while you have the z6 out of a car take the time to rebuild it. Replace the rings and bearings and retorque everythin to spec. It's actually vey easy to work on Honda motors. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you CAN use the auto tranny from a 92-95 but then you have to wire in a transmission control unit as well as the ecu itself. its easier to keep what you got.
'92 - '95 Civics don't have a separate TCM, the transmission is controlled entirely by the ECU.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I definately got the D15b 0bd0 trans on their, so basically if i have a p28 ecu and the p28 ecu has a tcm in it, and my 0bd0 trans don't, or does it?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this also: You have to use the obd0 auto trans and he p28 auto ecu. The obd0 trans has a single lock up control solonoid while the p28 auto has two. You will have to simulate the second solenoid or you will get a cel. You do have to change the drivers side motor mount but I did not have to change the oil pan. For wiring I just did research, research and more research! The only tip I can give is DO NOT start this swap until you have EVERYTHING you plan on swapping. Don't wait till you have the car apart to realize you need something. Also, while you have the z6 out of a car take the time to rebuild it. Replace the rings and bearings and retorque everythin to spec. It's actually vey easy to work on Honda motors. Good luck!
so how exactly do i do this,:The obd0 trans has a single lock up control solonoid while the p28 auto has two. You will have to simulate the second solenoid or you will get a cel.

another person suggested this:

I still say grab a PS9 Obd0 ECU and use a vtec controller...

I may have found a spare PS9...

It worked for me and I didn't have to worry about the differences.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

vtec controller alone will not add more fuel for vtec like the P28 will.

Maybe connect a non-functional lock up solenoid?

This is the lock up solenoid from the 92~95. It has two solenoids.
I'm thinking you can just bolt this thing to chassis for ground and just wire up either one of the solenoids to satisfy your ECU as it searches for the second solenoid..

Or buy a manual P28 (or convert your auto P28 to manual if you have it already) and not use the lock-up at all. Lock up is nice as it locks the torque converter together for a 1:1 ratio, but it's not necessary to run the car. Older cars do not even have them and work just fine.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Seagull Management

I still say grab a PS9 Obd0 ECU and use a vtec controller...

I may have found a spare PS9...
Guys used to chip PS9s for vtec (using turbo edit IIRC) you use the output for the A/C clutch to control the vtec solenoid.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
vtec controller alone will not add more fuel for vtec like the P28 will.

Maybe connect a non-functional lock up solenoid?

This is the lock up solenoid from the 92~95. It has two solenoids.
I'm thinking you can just bolt this thing to chassis for ground and just wire up either one of the solenoids to satisfy your ECU as it searches for the second solenoid..

Or buy a manual P28 (or convert your auto P28 to manual if you have it already) and not use the lock-up at all. Lock up is nice as it locks the torque converter together for a 1:1 ratio, but it's not necessary to run the car. Older cars do not even have them and work just fine.
Great info, Wow i wonder if this will work, i'll give it a try, the trans that came with the engine has the solenoids.

As far as the ps9 getting chipped, well if i don't have to spend any more than what i already have it's worth to try the p28, but thanks and keep the posts coming so that i can gather up all this info and make a write up. thanks guys really appreciated
Old 04-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Seagull Management

Btw, is it a USDM or JDM tranny? IIRC one or the other has 2 shift/lockup solenoids, the other only has 1.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a usdm trans from a d15b.....
Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tranny doesnt need ecu to shift up or down.

if this were an accord or prelude, that would be a different story.

be sure you have the kickdown conencted. its the secondary throttle spring on the TB, the cable runs to the front of the tranny.

the lockup has its purpose. use google if curious
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what we are trying to figure out, the lockup solenoid, but at the same time the p28 auto ecu reads 2 solenoids...........
Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

which kickdown cable would be used for this
Old 05-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DRMORTY says to use the 90-93 accord kick down cable, he also said that an Ls might work. My update on my situation is in the hands of Angry Panda MotorSports in jacksonville fl, once it is done i will give my 2 cent's, but my advice to you from what i've learned is GO MANUAL!!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info on the cable.

Quick Reply: Obd0 with obd1 Automatic ecu.