Notices

O2 bung on two runners, cause lean wideband?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 bung on two runners, cause lean wideband?

My header has an o2 bung sitting on the farhes left and right exhaust runners , I currently only have a code 22 (vtec sensor) and I know it is disconnected. My wideband displays on the heavy lean side 9 times out of ten driving. Could it be that my wideband needs flow from all four runners to display an accurate reading and that because it is only connected to two runners it thinks it is running lean?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: O2 bung on two runners, cause lean wideband?

Stock locations are typically fine for wideband installs. Although it is best to go closest to the collector to get the best reading from the whole engine (especially when you have no catalytic converter). This holds true with running a turbo as well. The extreme pressures and heat from the turbo will ruin the wideband.

If you are running lean then that is most likely what you are on all cylinders... This is unless your O2 needs calibrated or something. What brand is your wideband?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am running an oldschool aftermarket header that is why I was wondering if it would cause false readings because it is not in the stock position from the factory. I am running an AEM UEGO wideband oxygen sensor that has been on for about a week and a half and since installing it I have had a myriad of electrical problems that have since been fixed but since I have had it installed it has always read on the very lean side
Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends, maybe your car is really running lean. Are you talking about wot a/r? or Idle? You need to post your setup.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am running a d16z6/a6 mini me on an obd1 p28. The lean reading Is in the 16- "---" range during all driving conditions except 3500 rpm in fourth gear, then the gauge will read in the 14.9-16.1 range. The only other time I am below 16.8 is the first 30 seconds after I start my car. I honestly haven't played too much wit opening the throttle up all of the way because I don't want to damage my rings further from being lean. But as I recall at wot the richest I can get is like 15.8 but I will play with opening it up all of the way and looking at the reading if you think it would help diagnose better. My fuel pressure is 38-40 psi, my filter was replaced march of 2010, and checked for resistance in december of 2010. My plugs and wires were replaced exactly one year ago, my distributor cap and rotor were replaced December 2010. That's all that can come to mind related to running rich or lean, if you need more info let me know. Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 03:34 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With your engine setup you will be running higher compression than the stock D16Z6 anyways; especially if you are running the 2-layer head gasket. As long as there is no detonation then don't worry about it...

Just out of curiosity, what head gasket did you use?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been running the setup for over a year and it has been treating me well so far and I imagine I have been running lean the entire time I just recently got the wideband. I forgot to mention I have all the usual b.s. Mods (I/H/E), so I imagine that contributes as well to the lean. I was wondering, however, when I installed my sideband I didn't use a shield grounded wire and I wonder if my gauge is simply getting interference from the other wires going through my firewall, or is there someone here that has ran a wideband without a shielded wire. So you are saying that being on the "high" lean side of my gauges reading capacity I should have nothing to worry about as far as engine damage? I usually run midgrade (I know in n/a it's better to run regular but I still choose mid) could that have any effect , like should I go to reg? I have been running mid because I plan on boosting in the next year. Are there any suggestions to help my engine run richer (I.e 440 injectors, for, etc) I have a Vafc hack I have been procrastinating in installing but I know thy would help if I bumped up the delivery. I just have anxiety about this because this is my primary transportation and I I do boost I would like to do so with the healtiest engine possible.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump