Notices

No injector pulse 90 crx si ls swap obd1 conv.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No injector pulse 90 crx si ls swap obd1 conv.

Looking for any ideas. Have a CRX I bought from my work. We used to drag race it, and take it to meets etc. to promote the stereo shop/performance parts/accessories. As such it has sat for most of the last 6yrs.
Anyway, I bought it to use for road racing, time attack this year. Before I dragged it home on my tow dolly, I drained the tank, put new plugs, fresh battery and fuel and it started and idled and ran perfect like it always has. A month later and I try to start it to pull it up my driveway into the garage. Won't start, so I decide to wait till some friends are over to push it since I had to leave for work anyway. I figured I probably just needed to hook up the battery charger on jump start setting, which i usually have to do the first time I start it after sitting a long time. On my drive to work I think back and don't remember hearing the fuel pump prime. You can usually hear it as it has a walboro 255. When I get home I try it and sure enough no pump. Don't think anything of it, figured it's a fuse or the relay. A month later, I have a bunch of parts that came in and I take it to a buddy's place that's gonna help me get it ready. We check fuses, relay, all good. We stick our ears down by the pump and can hear it making a sound like it's trying to turn. Ok, bad fuel pump. Order a new one and when we go to install it, find the tank is rusted bad inside. Order a new tank, and new sending unit. While we're waiting on those parts to come in we rig a gas can, external pump setup to just hear it run again. Nothing. Check spark, it's good, great actually. We had already checked compression before and looked great. So we have spark and fuel to the rail, so we start looking at the injectors. We have 12 volts at all injectors. But what's missing is the ground pulse. What can stop that? Check the distributor since the ecu won't fire injectors without the crank/cam position sensor sending a signal to the ecu. Tried a new dizzy, still nothing. Double checked the fuel relay again, looks good. Even bought a relay conversion from CJ's wiring to have cheap replacement relays on hand. Still no inj. pulse. Try a known good injector resistor box. Nope. Checked the continuity on the inj. wires at the ecu and at the injector, shows to be good. Made the injectors fire by pulsing the ground ourselves. I may take and have them cleaned and flow tested just to be sure. Check the main power and grounds at the ecu. Cleaned all the grounds under the hood. Plugged the ecu from my b20 swapped Integra in the car, no pulse. Tried the crx ecu in my Teg, fired up instantly. Waiting on a new ignition switch to arrive and try. Other than that, I am planning on ordering a new harness just because the old one is getting hard and brittle and don't wanna lose out on a bunch of cash at event over an old harness. Is there something we're missing? We have been working on cars since '96 and have never had this much trouble.
Sorry for the novel, just trying to say everything in case there's a clue in there somebody can spot. Recap on the setup. '90 CRX Si, B18a swap installed around 2000. Turbo setup in 2004 with DSM 450cc injectors. Obd1 conversion in 2008. With Obd1 dizzy, external coil, GM 3 bar map sensor, Jumper harness, Phearable base map chip on p72 ecu. Driven quite a bit after conversion on the street and some auto-x, then ran once a year for a drag event over the next 4 years. Then sat since 2012/13 and only started every year or so since, but not driven. Please, if anybody has any ideas let me know. I did look this up and got a lot of info here on stuff to try, but still nothing. We were trying to have the car ready to compete at Super Lap Battle next month, but everyday that goes by makes it a little less likely we'll make it. Probably won't have the new harness for 3wks. and I'm worried that it still won't start when that comes in. Thanks in advance for any help or tips.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:20 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: No injector pulse 90 crx si ls swap obd1 conv.

Got another set of injectors you can try swapping in?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

The fuel injectors won't fire if ECU pin A23 or A24 lacks proper ground. Test for continuity to body ground at those two ECU connector pins.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you hooked up the external pump, did you take it directly to the rail, or through the fuel filter? Are you getting fuel coming out of the fuel pressure regulator? Have you verified that you have 40+ psi of fuel pressure? Have you tried another obd0-obd1 conversion harness - seen those go bad before.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you have 12v at the injectors. Im assuming the resistor box is in good working order? and you have good grounds at the ecu? if all this is correct, then the engine wire harness is not properly grounded somewhere. for instance, the 10mm bolt on the thermostat housing.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Got another set of injectors you can try swapping in?
No, but i'm going to take them out and have them cleaned and flow tested just to be sure.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have good fuel pressure. I haven't tried another obd0 to 1 conversion harness. But we did try a couple obd0 Integra ecu's (that didn't need the adapter) and no go. But wasn't sure if it would have started like that since there was obd1 dizzy, etc.. That's why we tried my obd1 ecu from my Integra, and it didn't start, but the CRX ecu started my Integra with no problems. @ muellersfan, I'm pretty sure we tested pins A23/24 but gonna check it again. And yes we checked all the grounds in the bay. Actually, the one that's supposed to be on the therm. housing was somewhere else, but we cleaned and moved it to the proper spot, but it ran for years like it was with no problems. Thanks guys, I'll post any findings.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Does the engine start if you spray starting fluid into the throttle body?
Old 06-07-2019, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry forgot to post back on what it was. Of course it was the most logical part to have gone bad (besides a ground or main relay) Yes it was a bad dizzy. smh. I had tried one from a buddy earlier that wasn't exactly for my car so we re-pinned the plug. Apparently we didn't do it right cuz when we plugged the one i ordered in, it fired right up. I still went ahead and ordered a new harness from Monotech just to keep from having brittle wire problems later on. Also did the main relay conversion to std relay so it's easily swapped if it ever goes bad. And the obd1 distributor plug converter and ignition harness to ensure no problems there. All these were cheap and simple to replace and just didn't wanna loose any track time or sessions due to hunting a bad spot in 30yr old wiring. But wanted to thank everybody for their input.