Notices

New meaning to the term "sunroof"

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New meaning to the term "sunroof" (crxforum)

sweet deal. i will now be looking into this as well.

6'3" and im hitting the roof all the time...i could just imagine your situation.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 AM

has any one just taken out the whole sunroof setup and done plexi ? b/c that is what i'm consitering unless i can find a cheap used sheet meatal pannel (i dented mine all up dosen't fit right)
Old 08-12-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (powell88crxsi)

IT IS FINNISHED!!!

Crappy rattle-can paint, but I hope to get the whole car re-painted over the winter. Half of the clear coat is missing on the front fenders and pass door anyway.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by powell88crxsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">has any one just taken out the whole sunroof setup and done plexi ? b/c that is what i'm consitering unless i can find a cheap used sheet meatal pannel (i dented mine all up dosen't fit right)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a couple of posts in the archives about people who made their own "plug" out of varrying materials. search and ye shall find
Old 08-12-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Re: (thumpu77)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thumpu77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a couple of posts in the archives about people who made their own "plug" out of varrying materials. search and ye shall find </TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=764413
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=622880
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=594777
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=530379 (my favorite)
Old 08-13-2004, 07:04 AM

Was it difficult to get the hatch aligned?

Wes
Old 08-13-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: (Wes V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wes V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was it difficult to get the hatch aligned?

Wes</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes acually it was a little. The holes aren't very slotted and it wanted to hang too far back. It took some effort to get the hatch to move forward before tightening.

*Off to go track-test it now
Old 08-14-2004, 07:56 PM

Very nicely done. I'm planning on doing the same thing to my Si, and for the same reasons. Well, actually, I've already fixed the initial problem of weight and no head room with my helmet on through other methods, but I'm not really happy with the results.

First, I just removed the sunroof and installed a plexiglass panel. Even if a very poorly done tint job it still let the car get way too hot in the summer sun, and it leaked really bad. I only had the plexiglass for about 6 months before I decided to get rid of it.

I bought a MIG welder and welded in some 20 gauge steel sheet, but with it being my first attempt at body work, it didn't come out very smooth. I painted it and drove it for a few months, and then decided to try to smooth it out with more bondo... ended up using close to two pounds of the stuff, and it's still not smooth enough. And now the bondo is cracking in a couple places too (edit: the picture is before I added all the bondo...)

So this winter I'll probably be removing the roof from my rusted out 88 HF and installing it on my 89 Si. That'll also give me an excuse to get a new windshield, since I messed up my currect one (that's less than a year old) by welding the roof without protecting the glass... those little bits of welding spatter are HOT.

As for the comments about using glue instead of welding to attach the roof, the new adhesives used by auto manufactures are pretty amazing, and their use is becoming more common. I'm guessing that's how BMW attached the carbon fiber roof on the new M3 CSL (http://zoouz.free.fr/other/m3_...2.jpg)... I wonder how hard it would be to do a carbon fiber roof for a CRX?

Old 08-14-2004, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you wanted head room you could've just gotten a racing seat and mounted it to the floor. My brothers drag civic had this, and i stand 6 foot tall but when sitting in the car, i look like im about 4'9"

it makes headroom problems obsolete
Old 08-14-2004, 09:46 PM

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

did you not see this pic
this is him sitting on the floor woth no seat at all

Old 08-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shoden)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shoden &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the comments about using glue instead of welding to attach the roof, the new adhesives used by auto manufactures are pretty amazing, and their use is becoming more common. I'm guessing that's how BMW attached the carbon fiber roof on the new M3 CSL (http://zoouz.free.fr/other/m3_...2.jpg)... I wonder how hard it would be to do a carbon fiber roof for a CRX?

</TD></TR></TABLE> yeah, the new (to us) lotus elise uses adhesives for the chassis structure. and earlier i posted how the new evo MR has an aluminum roof and a few other things and it dropped like 200+ lbs.