Notices

New meaning to the term "sunroof"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New meaning to the term "sunroof" (thumpu77)

why not use just a plug?
Old 08-08-2004, 07:36 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: New meaning to the term "sunroof" (JCracer723)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCracer723 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not use just a plug? </TD></TR></TABLE>
He has already explained this.

He is doing it for headroom purposes and race class purposes.

A plug does nothing to increase headroom, and in some classes is not even legal to have.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:10 PM

if you want headroom....justs tick your head OUT of the sunroof....lol.....but props to someone diving into this...i know i wouldnt wanna try this
Old 08-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New meaning to the term "sunroof" (JCracer723)

well i hope you try to brace the chassis, cause ifyou didn't (from the look of the pixs) thechassis might have flexed..i don't a aroof replacement before and just in case i brace the chassis from one end to the other..now that they have those C's pillar it make it easier, as to before i have to make a bar to support it. but if it doesn't seem to flex ot tweek then i guess it fine..i did it jsut to be safe that all..
Old 08-11-2004, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New meaning to the term "sunroof" (C uR eX)

I didn't use any braces but I didn't move the car around much like that either.

Got the new roof and new windshield in last night. everything lined up just fine. Aparently, the roof doesn't do a whole heck of a lot for structural stability in these CRX's.... My friend that did the welding for me talked to some friends of his that work at a local body shop and they told him that when they re-skin a roof in one of these that they don't even weld them in, they just glue them!!!

To give you an idea of my headroom issues, here's a pic of me sitting on the floor of the car.... NO SEAT AT ALL....

it all looks nice and smooth now...

... including where the rear window squirter used to be.

More pics on my site (link in first post)
Old 08-11-2004, 07:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thumpu77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they just glue them!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had thought about doing this to my car last winter when the sunroof became useless and wouldn't even close. Good to know it can be done tho. Are you going to rebadge your car as an HF now?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCracer723 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not use just a plug? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those plugs are stupid and cost a lot of money. This guy's project cost just over $100.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Re: New meaning to the term "sunroof" (oh_crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oh_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I had thought about doing this to my car last winter when the sunroof became useless and wouldn't even close. Good to know it can be done tho. Are you going to rebadge your car as an HF now?

Those plugs are stupid and cost a lot of money. This guy's project cost just over $100. </TD></TR></TABLE>

uhm.......i dont think they are stupid, without hookups installing a new roof skin will cost far more in labor then a plug would
Old 08-11-2004, 06:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thumpu77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The one I got from eBay cost me apx $85. I thought it was going to be a good deal because my local yard quoted me $125. When we realized how thrashed this skin was, my friend called in a big favor that one of the wrecking yard guys owed him and got them down to $50 for their good skin. So I guess you can say I'm spending $135 for the roof, $125 for a new windshield, and $50 for the winshield seal. plus paint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good deal
Old 08-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats ....uhhh great! is it going to be welded back in place?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: (Jester88Si)

man i so wanna do this but i dont have friends who do body work so its not fesable for me damn previous owner put in a shitty aftermarket moonroof thingy into my HF
Old 08-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (temp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by temp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man i so wanna do this but i dont have friends who do body work so its not fesable for me damn previous owner put in a shitty aftermarket moonroof thingy into my HF</TD></TR></TABLE> I have the same ******* problem the old owner of my crx put an aftermarket moonroof thing in mine too and I broke it now I'm looking into just having a piece of sheet metal welded in there some how
Old 08-11-2004, 10:03 PM

Default Re: New meaning to the term "sunroof" (oh_crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oh_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This guy's project cost just over $100. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Accually because of the windshield and second roof, final tally came to $345.00 + Buying Steve dinner at Quiznos.

But it's clean and factory looking. (except for the shaved squirter and the Si emblem on a non-sunroof car)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oh_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you going to rebadge your car as an HF now? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking of shaving the Si emblem so I wouldn't be accused of having a "fake Si"

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by temp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">without hookups installing a new roof skin will cost far more in labor then a plug would</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only "hookups" you need is someone who can weld (it don't need to be pretty, all the welds are covered by the plastic gutter strip) and someone who knows how to remove / replace a windshied.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jester88Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats ....uhhh great! is it going to be welded back in place?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Every place that previously had a spot weld now has a mig welded spot.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by temp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man i so wanna do this but i dont have friends who do body work so its not fesable for me damn previous owner put in a shitty aftermarket moonroof thingy into my HF</TD></TR></TABLE>

Steve doesn't do body work either, he just knows how to weld better than I do. Anybody that owns a welder could do this. like I said none of the welds are in a visible location so they can be ugly as long as they hold.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jester88Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ...now I'm looking into just having a piece of sheet metal welded in there some how </TD></TR></TABLE>

It will be really hard to match the contour of the roof with a piece of sheetmetal
re-skinning would acually be easier if you want a factory look. When I started looking into this I went to a couple of body shops and that's the reply they all gave me. In fact they told me it would be cheaper to re-skin it.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AAAAAAAAaaajhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

So, you're raising the roof? How many inches are you going up? (have you gone through this already?)
Old 08-11-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Re: New meaning to the term "sunroof" (didyouhearthat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by didyouhearthat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AAAAAAAAaaajhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

So, you're raising the roof? How many inches are you going up? (have you gone through this already?)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm...... no

I put a DX roof skin on in place of the Si one... No factory sunroof = no sunroof motor over my head = more headroom.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:13 PM

you should have just put like lexan in just like a jdm glass top, but only really super light...and just not drive that bitch in the rain
Old 08-12-2004, 12:06 AM

You need a bigger car
Old 08-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just browsing through this thread I'm surprised at how many people fail to read.

It's pathetic when you ask a question and it's already been answered a few posts up.

Looks like your project is coming along great. You're a really tall guy!
Old 08-12-2004, 12:44 AM

Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just browsing through this thread I'm surprised at how many people fail to read.

It's pathetic when you ask a question and it's already been answered a few posts up.

Looks like your project is coming along great. You're a really tall guy! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea no kidding....

He still needs a bigger car though
Old 08-12-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: (Keebler)

Thumpu77;

Well Done!

Wes
Old 08-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Looks like your project is coming along great. You're a really tall guy!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah - how tall are you anyway?
Either you are TALL or your car is lowered super low - belly button coming up to the roof line - something is friggin WRONG there! Time for a Olds Cutlass Supreme for you Mr. Tallguy!!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:43 AM

Default Re: (4drEF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4drEF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah - how tall are you anyway?
Either you are TALL or your car is lowered super low - belly button coming up to the roof line - something is friggin WRONG there! Time for a Olds Cutlass Supreme for you Mr. Tallguy!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

6' 7"

The car is only lowered 1.5"

I just don't like big cars, I chose the CRX because of it's great legroom, I just got so excited when this great deal came up that I didn't notice the lack of headroom.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are u trying to be a ricer and put one of those viyl tops that retract backwards and stuff???

bc if thats the case, they are gay!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are u trying to be a ricer and put one of those viyl tops that retract backwards and stuff???
bc if thats the case, they are gay!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you even bother to read replies or do you just read the first post and hit reply button and start typing?

It's VERY VERY VERY obvious and self explainitory what he did IF you take the 1/2 minute to read the whole post!

And you have over 3 thousand posts????

(Time for coffee... maybe you were just being funny and I missed it)

Old 08-12-2004, 08:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thumpu77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Accually because of the windshield and second roof, final tally came to $345.00 + Buying Steve dinner at Quiznos.

But it's clean and factory looking. (except for the shaved squirter and the Si emblem on a non-sunroof car)

I was thinking of shaving the Si emblem so I wouldn't be accused of having a "fake Si"

The only "hookups" you need is someone who can weld (it don't need to be pretty, all the welds are covered by the plastic gutter strip) and someone who knows how to remove / replace a windshied.

Every place that previously had a spot weld now has a mig welded spot.

Steve doesn't do body work either, he just knows how to weld better than I do. Anybody that owns a welder could do this. like I said none of the welds are in a visible location so they can be ugly as long as they hold.

It will be really hard to match the contour of the roof with a piece of sheetmetal
re-skinning would acually be easier if you want a factory look. When I started looking into this I went to a couple of body shops and that's the reply they all gave me. In fact they told me it would be cheaper to re-skin it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the thing, i dont know anyone who welds at all, i would not feel confident in myself to drill out the spot welds, etc, which means removal time by someone else, etc......that **** adds up fast.....
Old 08-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New meaning to the term "sunroof" (temp)

Props on the hard work. Looks like it come out well and it looks good.

CRX Forum

Quick Reply: New meaning to the term "sunroof"