Notices

New EF hatch! Swap questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New EF hatch! Swap questions...

I’m the proud owner of an EF hatch! My 2nd Honda. Looks good parked in the driveway. It’s got ac and no power steering, the perfect combo IMO.

It’s a 1991 STD model with Dpfi and a 4 spd. I want to put in a d16y7 and a cable five speed. Mostly straight forward.

I just have a few questions, that I can’t find direct answers for.

CAN you use the y7 intake? I know it looks dorky with it’s top loader throttle body but it’s already here and I’ll use it if I can. I want to Save money, z6 intakes are 100+ on eBay and of questionable condition these days, and then I have to find injector wiring/sensors etc. Perfect complete a6 intakes are 200+.

Astonishing that I can’t find much on this: what stuff on the obd2 manifold will plug and play on the obd0 harness? TPS, MAP, IACV whatever else. A lot of conflicting info here. And if it won’t plug and play, will obd0 sensors fit and work attached on the y7 manifold? And I’ve found conflicting info about this as well:

it it seems like the obd2 injectors will work on the Ef, just skip the resistor. But what pressure regulator do I use? Fuel rail/fuel pump? What about the throttle cable?

I know its ‘all On here’ but it’s mostly arguments without final answers. any one know FOR SURE?

Finally: will the Ef AC compressor/brackets fit on the y7? Seems like it but I want to make sure before I get into road blocks. The y7 came from an AC delete 1999 dx so I don’t have y7 stuff to use.

You know I appreciate y’all!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New EF hatch! Swap questions...

Ok, after doing several hours of research and looking at my y7 and my b1..
it looks like the IACV has the same two pin connector on my Ef that a y8 has. Plus, the y7 intake is universally hated in the Honda community. So I’ll just get a y8 intake. That answers most of my questions.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you'll be using a PM6 ecu (OBD0 multipoint) you don't want to use the Y7 injectors anyway. The PM6 is mapped for 235cc injectors and the Y7s are 180, which will (I think) lead to fairly lean conditions. See this link:
https://www.hamotorsports.com/injector-size-chart.html
I have swapped to B7 injectors (235cc) with a resistor box delete with decent results. Those are pretty easy to come by at a junk yard, but ideally you'd want to send them off to be cleaned/reconditioned to make sure you get good performance.

I would suggest using a Z6 manifold if possible, or even a B7. The Y8 will certainly work, but it's volume will move your peak power higher in the rev range. That's why Y8s are often used in budget turbo builds. The A6 intake is nice for a period swap, but otherwise isn't worth the coin imho.

Throttle cable (if you're using a Z6 or Y8 manifold) would depend on the pedal end. Honda used two different styles of connecting to the pedal, I believe it varied based on transmission. Just make sure whatever throttle cable you get has the same end as your pedal and you should be ok.

IIRC the A/C bracket should bolt up, I think the newer brackets bolt to the older A6 block with only minor shaving.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Scelestus-

thank you! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Yes I have also read the y7s flow 180.

I have some extra B16A2 injectors from when I did the swap in my ‘99. I read these flow 240. Could I use these with either a b16 or y7 fuel rail and pressure regulator on a z6 or b7 intake? Then I could use the injector connectors from the 99 dx harness I have kickin around for the MPFI install.

Guess I could always try it and report back.

Again THANK YOU

Last edited by 1999AZhatch; 12-04-2018 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Typo/missing info
Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

B series injectors are the same physical size as D series as far as I know. I would think 5cc won't make any significant difference in performance or reliability, but I've never tried. Hopefully somebody more familiar with fuel maps and injector rates sees this and can say conclusively.

Google around for rail compatibility. I know the Y8 rail has different mount dimensions to the older D series, and I have no idea if any B series rails are compatible with anything D series.