Notices

needing steps to install trim/garnish thats on door ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needing steps to install trim/garnish thats on door ?

a piece of trim flew off my car while driving on the highway couple months back.

it was the black plastic trim garnish that goes vertical on the end of door between both side windows.

i did a search on google and on this site, and was surprised that there were'nt many results?

one result lead me to this link, http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.ph...=15315&start=0
which had pics and good info, but i just needed a more simplistic, basic list of steps needed to install the part.

so does anyone have a link or know the steps how to install this side trim door garnish piece properly ???

i just recieved it in the mail after ordering it from Majestic Honda, and would like to put it on soon, i had drivers window smashed in breakin recently and was going to junkyard today to get another window, and would like to install the trim part while i am in the process of putting the window in, since i might need to take door apart for that anyway.

any help would be cool, thnx
Old 05-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: needing steps to install trim/garnish thats on door ?

nobody knows how to?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just throwing this up one more time, to see if i can get anyone that knows to reply
Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the car in your sig? 1990? If so it's the wide garnish version with door mounted belts I assume. I'm only familiar with the '88/CDM/JDM doors but I do have my OEM CR-X repair manual for and '91.

I'll dig it up and post more info later if I find something in there, I think you have clips on those that pop into inserts on the door frame versus 3 simple screws from the inside like the '88 doors.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the Helms Shop manual for CRX, which i love and usually it has detailed steps with good pictures for anything i want to find out how to do, but i don't see anywhere in the entire manual for anything telling how to install that side/garnish trim piece between the side windows ???

i looked pretty carefully throughout the book, the only thing was a blown up picture of all the parts of the door, showing door panel, window, crank, speaker grill, etc.....
and it just shows that garnish/trim piece in the blown-up pic, and does'nt even show the detail of the part or how it attaches to the body either, just that it goes on that part of the outside of the door.

if my Helms manual covered steps on installing that part then i would'nt be here asking how to on the internet, but i'm just surprised how i don't come up with any results when doing searches on google, on here or other sites?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i think the link for that post on CRX Community i put near the beginning of this post was the best thing i found from the searches ive done.

i went through it again and now i think i understand it more, and get an idea of how its held on.

they have good pics in that post,

as i understand it so far, the 3 rings or loops that stick out from trim piece go around those white things right at back end of the window, and to do it right without breaking the rings its best to take door panel and stuff off to get to it so theres room to manoever the rings onto those white pieces.

and those 3 white clip things with black foam bordering each just snap into the ones on the body side that look similar to them, like snap into them maybe? i guess pussing on the piece til they go in and click into place ?

and then after you put all the door panel stuff back together and stuff, but not sure if your supposed to use any type of adhesive or not ???, but i would feel better if i did, so i would'nt worry about it flying off on the highway again.

so do i sort of have it right on how its attached to the car ??? or not ?

anyone done this before ?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any luck yet? The oem service manual has nothing in regards to removal or installation of this part for some reason, I wish I could've helped.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

remove the weather stripping to access the three clips, they are held in by screws.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OLD GOAT, thanks for that extra info,

but i don't know how to remove the weather-stripping, so would you mind explaining to me how to do that ? and if i need any materials or adhesive to do it ??, thanks

also, the reason i have'nt installed the garnish piece yet is cause i was waiting for when i do the installation of my drivers side window (cause it was busted into), and people said i would have to take off the door panel to install the garnish/trim piece, so i was going to do it same time while working on the window install since the door panel would be off for that anyway.