Notices

need help with steps for replacing steering knuckle/hub ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with steps for replacing steering knuckle/hub ??

i have 90 crx si,

have been meaning to replace my bent steering knuckle/hub since i bent it hitting curb at an angle back in 2007.

i read through the steps in my HELMS manual but i did'nt understand some of them, but once i can understand them more then i can decide if doing knuckle replacement is too hard for me to do myself or not.

most of the steps i'm talking about are the ones that involve using one of the "special tools", there is a list of what "special tools" you need to do the job at the first of the chapter, and it also shows the name of each tool and picture.

first question is, do i rent these tools? or have to buy them?

SPECIAL TOOLS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59505824@N04/5443980201/

in step below says to use some "special tools" to seperate the hub from the knuckle, but going by the pic they show, i still don't really get how it works, or how you use the tools to do this ??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59505824@N04/5443980221/
anyone know how to describe in better detail how you seperate using those tools ??

in step shown below they use some special tools to put the knuckle and hub back together,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59505824@N04/5444586334/
does anyone know how to use those tools and can describe the process of doing this step better ???

i also realise that some steps require a hydraulic press, and i know i don't have one, and i would assume i have to get that part done at a shop which i'm willing to do.

any help anyone gives covering any of the stuff i listed would be much appreciated, thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with steps for replacing steering knuckle/hub ??

your best bet is to get a good used knuckle, with the hub and bearing already in it. no need for a press unless you are trying to reuse your old hub, which i wouldn't recommend.
changing a 'complete' knuckle is easy- remove the axle nut, caliper, upper and lower ball joint nuts, tie rod, and suspension fork bolt. separate the lower ball joint with a pickle fork and it's off!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i ran into trouble trying to change out my lowerballjoint. I was able to get the old one out and the new one in no problem but then I couldnt get my backing plate in without changing the whole hub. So now I am looking for a whole new knuckle with everything already in there. Its hard to find a good one at pick-n-pull tho.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually I would never recommend the use of a pickle fork, but if you go with a replacement knuckle it won't matter. Pickle fork, more often than not, tears the boot on the LBJ.
Some auto repair stores rent out tools including a ball joint separator.
This site has a few examples... my local store has one that looks similar, but not quite the same.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/disconnect.html

Here is a really good write-up for the entire process
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/wheel-bearing-ball-joint-removal-replacement-2517273/
Old 02-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

the tools that are used with a pneumatic press are just drivers or sockets or rings to help allow the actual process of pressing the part out or in. any shop with a press that does this stuff will have comparable stuff. there are "honda specific" tools that match each step, but arbor plates or sockets or whatever else is available will do the job just as well.

so if you dont have a press, then dont worry about the special tools.

to take the balljoints off, you can use the honda recommended type of balljoint press, or just use a 3lb sledge. theres a link or two in the FAQ describing several options you have.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, you cleared that up,

i had a feeling it was'nt as complicated as they made it seem in the HELMS, lol

even though i browsed through each step carefully, all the details about the pressing of the bearings with those tools and stuff were just making it look more complicated to me,

but now after you just explained, if you get a knuckle that has everything in it then i can just totally ignore all of that, and now i do think its a job i can do, cause thats really the only parts i did'nt know about.

i understand the stuff about the balljoints, tie-rods, caliper, suspension fork, etc...

so you answered my question, but it was still good i made the post, cause i needed to confirm what all those weird steps were that had to do with the press, cause now i know i can just ignore them and get on with the other main steps.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly its easy to get everything out (with a big hammer not a pickle fork) its just geting everything back in that got me.