Notices

Need help: can't decide on springs 91 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: can't decide on springs 91 Civic LX

Hey all. Its been a long time since I've browsed and posted on here. I just picked up my first Honda in the last 9 years a week ago from today. It is a 1991 Civic LX sedan. Ironically my last civic was a 1991 Civic SI hatch in Tahitian Green pearl. What a regret selling her.....anyways moving forward.....

My civic is currently on an absurdly low set up. The car is on Koni yellows with some really short Swift Metric Coilover springs. I think they are 5" in length and the spring rate is 30k. Not comfortable at all. The car is so low it rubs on virtually every imperfection in the road and rubs on every single turn. It is uncomfortable and very impractical at this height. I am looking to getting rid of these short 5" Swift springs and getting something else. Like I stated I've been out of Hondas for almost a decade so it's not fresh to me as to what is good and possibly new products and companies that have came out over the last decade. I'm not looking to really break the bank either. I did a little research and these are some options and prices of what I have found. My last EF if I can recall correctly had HR sport springs and I forget the shock brand, but they weren't low at all. I also had a 2000 Civic SI on Koni Yellows and Tein S Tech springs and I recall that being pretty low, it seemed lower than the drop that Tein advertised

GOAL: Raise my car significantly. I will try to post photos tomorrow of just how low it is. It's really insane how low it is. The tires are practically touching the body. When turning the wheel, yes, the tire rubs in the well.
I know with the Koni Yellow's I can definitely end up getting myself a really nice enjoyable ride and height, depending on my selection.
What I have found thus far.....
  • D2 Racing Lowering Springs- Front 2.5" Rear 2.25" $127.50 shipped
  • H&R Sport front 1.9" Rear 1.8" $224.03 shipped Not so keen on spending this much. Had them before and they weren't that memorable to me to be spending that much....
  • KSport Lowering Springs- Front 2.5" Rear 2.25" $139 shipped I've always heard K Sport and D2 were basically the same company not sure if there is truth to that.....
  • Tein S Tech Lowering Springs- Front 1.6" Rear 1.4" $147.50 shipped Had these springs on Koni Yellows on my 2000 Si and recalled it being enjoyable. But that was 10 years ago so I cant recall that great
  • Skunk2 Lowering Springs- Front 2.25" Rear 2" $163.99 shipped
  • Megan Racing Lowering Springs- Front and Rear 1.75" $141.49
Well this is all that I have found so far in my research this evening. I'm going to guess that these springs will be more effective and will possibly sit a little lower due to the fact that they are on the Koni Yellow's as opposed to a stock shock. My ride right now is so damn stiff I will guess that before a rebound adjustment, it is set at all the way firm. The goal is to pick this car up off the ground, get it at a more comfortable practical ride height, and soften her up a little. I'm not looking to bounce all around town anymore!

I will try to post some photos tomorrow. Any and all suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. I have little to no experience/knowledge in the suspension department for the EF in particular as I only had one and I never really changed much on it. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Si Trav; 01-18-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: Need help: can't decide on springs 91 Civic LX

Have you looked into coilovers? Progress Group and H&R both make sets that would work rather well for the car, and improve the ride tremendously. The rubbing of the interior fender well when turning would require you to change wheels/tires, though.

PS. Yes, K-Sport, Megan, D2 suspension components all come out of the same Chinese manufacturing plant... just with different colors and stickers (however the Megan products are typically a higher-tier package the Chinese company offers, and boast slightly better performance/reliability).
Old 01-18-2018, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 1991 DX Sedan and I bought and installed Progress CS2 coilovers. These can be had for about $650. Would I do it again? Eh, maybe.... maybe not. They seem to be very good quality but I made the mistake of ordering a bit too soft of a setup for my liking (whatever spring rate you may think is too soft- it probably isn't). Also, I should have probably cut the supplied bumpstops a little more than what they recommended for my ride height. Now, I'm not bashing this company whatsoever- very nice design, quality, etc; but looking back I could have spent a little more and went with Koni/GC/Eibach setup.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Have you looked into coilovers? Progress Group and H&R both make sets that would work rather well for the car, and improve the ride tremendously. The rubbing of the interior fender well when turning would require you to change wheels/tires, though.

PS. Yes, K-Sport, Megan, D2 suspension components all come out of the same Chinese manufacturing plant... just with different colors and stickers (however the Megan products are typically a higher-tier package the Chinese company offers, and boast slightly better performance/reliability).
I have, but having just purchased the car, registering it, insuring it, I havent got much money to play with. The rubbing is because the car is absolutely slammed to all hell, I'm sure my wheels and tires will clear once the car is raised. I have some new Avid 1 AV08 wheels and brand new tires but refuse to put them on the car until its at a drivable height and I rid the camber that was added in the rear from when the PO had a nice set of wheels on the car and had to run some camber to get them to fit.

Coilovers yes, but not right now, I simply cant swing it. I need a cheaper quicker fix to my issue for the time being, especially considering its the winter.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93stealthtt
I have a 1991 DX Sedan and I bought and installed Progress CS2 coilovers. These can be had for about $650. Would I do it again? Eh, maybe.... maybe not. They seem to be very good quality but I made the mistake of ordering a bit too soft of a setup for my liking (whatever spring rate you may think is too soft- it probably isn't). Also, I should have probably cut the supplied bumpstops a little more than what they recommended for my ride height. Now, I'm not bashing this company whatsoever- very nice design, quality, etc; but looking back I could have spent a little more and went with Koni/GC/Eibach setup.
Thanks for the reply, but just what I said to the gentleman that posted before you I'm just looking for some springs at the moment. I want coils eventually, but I just cant swing it right now financially.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Progress has a 296/200 set of springs in their garage sale section for 95 bucks + shipping (which is probably another 50+ bucks, yay). I think sedan rears are the same (only had hatches and a wagon)? For that money it's hard to beat what you're getting - I'd certainly pick them over most of what you're looking at. www.progressauto.com
Old 01-18-2018, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scelestus
Progress has a 296/200 set of springs in their garage sale section for 95 bucks + shipping (which is probably another 50+ bucks, yay). I think sedan rears are the same (only had hatches and a wagon)? For that money it's hard to beat what you're getting - I'd certainly pick them over most of what you're looking at. www.progressauto.com
thanks for the response I will check out that link right now.

I just posted some photos to show how drastically low my car really is. I'm sure most readers who havent seen the photos yet must have said to themselves "how low could this guys car really be"
Old 01-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

leaning toward the Tein springs. anyone have any advice or other input before i pull the trigger tomorrow morning?