Notices

My son just bought a 91 Crx Si project, questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My son just bought a 91 Crx Si project, questions?

Hello,

I used to post here back in the day under the name Red_Si but it's been probably 8 years or so lol. Feels good to be back but coincidently my 13 year old son just bought a project for me and him to work on over the next 2 years or so until he can drive. Its a '91 Crx Si.

Now, you read correctly, he is 13 and I can't necessarily tell him what to do and what not to do with HIS car but he has told me he wanted to buy a few things of 'ricer' quality. It's his car and I'll do what he wants but I'm trying to steer him in the correct direction while working on this project. I've already talked him out of autozone led lights to brighten up the interior lol.

Anyways, to my initial questions. He badly needs to replace the steering wheel, while I would go with a stock replacement, he wants http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-RACING-SPEC-BLACK-BRUSHED-FRAME-STEERING-WHEEL-W-MUGEN-HORN-HUB-ADAPTER-/171125602493?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1991%7CModel%3ACRX&hash=item27d7e178bd&vxp=mtr and possibly a cheap quick release off of ebay as well. I'm very leary of the ebay quick release but if he doesn't use the QR, would the wheel he selected be a horrible choice? (not style wise, but safety?)

Secondly, he will also need a replacement front bumper cover and pass side fender, are the ebay options viable replacements? I was looking at these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bumper-Cover-Facial-Front-Primered-Honda-CRX-91-90-HO1000143-71101SH2A10ZZ-/370862179652?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1991%7CModel%3ACRX&hash=item56591bc544&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fender-Front-Passenger-Right-Side-Primered-RH-Hand-HO1241106C-60211SH2A00ZZ-/350705531013?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1991%7CModel%3ACRX&hash=item51a7adb885&vxp=mtr
Obviously they would have to be sanded and have a quality primer laid down before paint, but does anyone have any experience with fitment, etc?

Now on to pics of his purchase:

**Sorry for the length, I remember how it used to be so I'm ready
Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My son just bought a 91 Crx Si project, questions?

The steering wheel is a critical component. Don't buy critical components from eBay. Period.

As an example:

As to that fender and bumper- aftermarket tend to fit not quite right, it's hit or miss. If you have one near, these guys are ok for aftermarket too: http://www.certifit.com/

What you really want for good fitment (and no painting) is OEM.

-Look in the honda-tech marketplace.
-Look on local CL for parts cars.
-Here for nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/
-If one is near you, these are usually the cheapest parts in the land: http://www.picknpull.com/check_inventory.aspx For these guys, CRXs are listed under Civic so, you have to search for Civics then go to the yard and physically look at the cars.

Some notes:
-That ground wire from the valve cover to the core is looking pretty ragged.
-Love the shoestring holding the radiator. lol
-And finally, please please PLEASE talk him out of that rear bumper.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No way i would buy an eBay adapter for the steering wheel. The Momo hub adapter collapses on impact etc... And is a safety upgrade over stock.

The best advice I can give you is upgrade the brakes. CRX brakes are terrible and new drivers need good brakes.

The ebay OEM bumpers, fenders etc... Fit great.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
No way i would buy an eBay adapter for the steering wheel. The Momo hub adapter collapses on impact etc... And is a safety upgrade over stock.

The best advice I can give you is upgrade the brakes. CRX brakes are terrible and new drivers need good brakes.

The ebay OEM bumpers, fenders etc... Fit great.
EXACTLY!
Most likely the brake booster and/or master cylinder are bad. Also the brake pads and rotors are a cheap upgrade that will make a big difference and are pretty much a no-brainer. The front bumper looks pretty good, or at least repairable... now that rear bumper would look better OEM in my opinion. Good luck with the project.
Another note: DO NOT build a fast car for his first car. (The stock SI is quick enough.) I would have killed myself when I was 16 if I had one. I built one when I was 18, and its still a miracle I survived.
Of course every kid is different, and you know your son better than anyone else and want the best for him, so I am not trying to talk down to you at all. I just remember what it was like being a teenager and felt compelled to share that.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1991_crxsi
Another note: DO NOT build a fast car for his first car. (The stock SI is quick enough.) I would have killed myself when I was 16 if I had one. I built one when I was 18, and its still a miracle I survived.
Of course every kid is different, and you know your son better than anyone else and want the best for him, so I am not trying to talk down to you at all. I just remember what it was like being a teenager and felt compelled to share that.
I whole heartedly agree. Even the "good" kids wreck cars.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I will have to search the local forums/cl for the body parts as none of the local yards have anything and certifit and youpull are too far away but I do appreciate the input.

So the ebay steering wheel is a definite no.

and we have plans to basically go over the entire car over the next couple years, we don't mind the rear bumper cover, wings west is the only aftermarket 'tuner' kit I would even consider on the car anyways. We will probably keep the a6 in the car until it has problems because I agree with him not having a 'fast' car but when it does go, and it will cuz it already has 212,xxx miles on it, we will probably end up doing some sort of basic b series swap, i'm guessing either a low mileage ls or b16 but it will just be a sort of replacement and will be kept fairly stock.

He is going to start on the interior before we do anything and getting that up to par, after that we will probably address the clutch issue it has (might just need adjusted). We still have to go over it and get it all cleaned up but eventually we will be doing interior, engine maintenance/swap (possibly, if needed), body work/paint, brakes, suspension, wheels/tires, etc. I want to bring it back to it's prior glory and have a reliable vehicle for him by the time he turns 16.

side note: does anyone know if you can replace a climate control that has all buttons with one that is all mechanical? Is it a straight swap or no?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another side note: How do these work to repair the ever common cracked climate control?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-91-Honda-CRX-Climate-Control-Repair-Plate-AC-Heater-/121090389492?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c318cb5f4&vxp=mtr
Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it is quite remarkable that your son purchased his own car at 13. Did he pay for it on his own? I did not have enough money to buy my first until I was 17.

I found an uncracked climate control at the junkyard in an EF wagovan. It looked the same as a CRX climate control when I pulled it. If you or your son are interested let me know.

It seems like you and everyone else here have the right idea in mind. If you teach him about fixing it and working on the things that are wrong with it, it may instill more of a mindset regarding fixing it and driving it like he wants it to last in him. It worked for me when I bought mine. All of the sudden the need for speed was gone and I started driving much more defensively when the car was mine. Maybe I'm just weird though.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on the project I wish i could have done this when i was 13, im sure the ricer ideas for the bumpers etc will go away, there are many nice aftermarket bumpers for these just gotta look
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Re: the seat restoration. I got these covers from this seller and the quality is superb. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-1991-HONDA-CRX-GENUINE-LEATHER-SEATS-COVER-/221283934492?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33858ce11c&vxp=mtrIt actually took quite a bit of time to repair the foam and instal these, but in the end it was well worth it. It sure beats some tacky aftermarket seats.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991_crxsi
Re: the seat restoration. I got these covers from this seller and the quality is superb. 1988 1991 Honda CRX Genuine Leather Seats Cover | eBay
It actually took quite a bit of time to repair the foam and instal these, but in the end it was well worth it. It sure beats some tacky aftermarket seats.
I want to do this with my seats but maybe get some red stitching in there. For that Type-R look haahha. But seriously, good find. Better than getting new seats for sure.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So my son got some parts for Christmas and he wanted me to update the thread with what he's done so far, so here we go:

Replaced the severely worn oem wheel with a black with red stitch Nrg unit with Momo hub.

Skunk2 shift **** with Password:Jdm shift boot

Corbeau reclining racing seats!!

He also has a few parts laying around waiting to be installed as money comes around:

That's about it for now folks, let us know what you think so far!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys if u haven't already figured out by now, im that 13 year old son who bought a Crx.. So far it's coming along nicely and if anyone has any advice, and or parts message me please.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 01-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crx_si91
Looking good must be a smart kid lol
^this would be my son! Congrats it looks good so far but we have a long way to go!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dad's not seeming to agree with me. What do u guys think about Crx projector halo lights .

Or white style
Old 01-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stay with stock lights. Just an opinion.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just read thru this (you know.. late night.. read everything with 'crx' in it) hahah

gotta say it looks to be coming along pretty good.. id say no to halo lights.. ive seen some black light housing mods done before & that looks pretty good. but to each his own.

the intro gave me a good laugh tho " I've already talked him out of autozone led lights to brighten up the interior lol. " hahahahah

good luck with it!!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Your next best purchase if it doesn't have it is an alarm as those seats scream "Steal me!"
Old 01-11-2014, 04:12 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What is cool what you are 13 isn't when you are 16 let alone if you are the only ricer left at school styling your car with late 90s and early 2000s car parts. It probably all looks good on MyFace and FaceSpace to brag to your friends, but at the rate you are going it will go downhill fast.

The selection of this car is a decent choice for a first one. I am completely for manual transmissions in first cars and think it should be mandatory. I think you guys should KISS the car until it is actually driven by the "owner". Also, letting some kid tell an adult what to do or what will be happening is what is part wrong with this world today. So Dad, get a pair and YOU tell HIM what will be allowed and won't be. If you had a ricer back in the day then you should already know better, and if you don't - shame on you.

Haha, there is my opinion. Have fun with the build and good luck.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. Keep in mind this is his car, he bought it with his own money. I did go through that ricer stage way back when and will try my best to keep him from doing it but ultimately I will give him my opinion and reasons why and let him. Make his own educated Choice. This is his car, not mine. If he makes the wrong choice and ends up having to pay for it later than so be it, lesson learned but I will not tell him what he can and can't do to his vehicle.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Best advice: Keep it looking mostly stock and clean on the outside and inside… maybe some nice wheels and paint and that is about it. I see those seats are very nice quality but not my style… but hey, its not my car. lol
The USDM fitted JDM style carbon fiber hoods can be a nice touch with amber corner lights. Install an alarm and make sure the air conditioning works, and the sunroof is functional and not rusted. I would leave the stock headlights.
Upgrade the breaks with slotted rotors and performance pads and make sure the master cylinder and booster are good.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys it's good to have the advice coming in!! I definitely am putting a alarm in since I have installed the locks with a clicker
Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah this is great. I wish I started that young!!! :thumb up:

The halo lights look nice at night, especially is you're running HIDs. During the day, they're on the rice side. . . but it's your car, so do what you like, just don't throw the stock ones away, so you can change back in the future is you want.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably just start with some new stock ones and maybe eventually go with halos idk yet but thanks for the thoughts guys!

Quick Reply: My son just bought a 91 Crx Si project, questions?