Notices

My new red ef hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new red ef hatch

Whats up guys and girls Im John I had a 88 civic sedan back in High school then an integra but wanted more power so I started buying toyota supras. This last week I started a tear down on my Supra and decided I didnt want to drive my truck the whole time, and wanted to take my time so I bought a 88 honda civic hatch. Fun little car 30+ mpg and paid 700 bucks. Well the modding bug has already bit and since Im building my Supra I dont want to put any money really into the civic so looking for cheap upgrades and swap overs from other hondas. My plan at first was just to turn around and sell it when I was done with it but my wife has kind of fallin in love with it, and it would make a good car for her to learn on. Ok on to pics.

Its a little rough but what the hell price was right. Runs good needs axles tires and a windshield. Hopped on craigslist and traded a guy a shotgun I had 40 bucks in for some bmw bbs bottle cap wheels with new tires

after I threw those on I started going through all my old stuff and whipped up a k&n intake with an old filter I had and some left over 3 inch intercooler piping off the supra and found my old grant wheel ive had sitting around for about 10 years out of my first civic.

Heres one with the wife.

The only pic I have of my old civic headed to the scrapper

and some pics of my supra cause i love to show her off. 91 Toyota Supra with a 1jz twin turbo swap. Pulling it apart right now to do arp head studs a act 6 puck plutch valve stem seals and bigger injectors.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: My new red ef hatch

You've got wheels. Good.
Here's a cheap list:
$5 - Buffer and rubbing compound. Get it back to shining. (Borrow/rent a buffer if you don't have one. Or hand buff, not too hard)
$6~$20 -Black paint OR color match the red and go for red bumpers. Either way, they could use some paint (color match paint may be more)
$0~40 -New Radio, I think I see the factory one in there (Does it even work? Keep it if it does)
$40~50 -Si Cluster (has a tach)
$0 -Remove fender and ~fix~ the dent (hammer it out slowly)
$10 -Factory Lip (chose one you like from the junkyard)
$150~300 -Lower springs (don't go too low on stock shocks! Chose a good brand)
$100+ - Tune up (Air filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, timing belt, water pump, AC/alternator belts
$8 - Degrease the engine bay (makes it look pretty. Diluted degreaser and a garden hose)

You can skip the sporty springs if you don't mind the stock ride height. Other than that, there is plenty of cheap sprucing up you can do. As for the tune up, that's up to you. But if it looks like it needs it, I wouldn't skimp on replacing wear items.

The pink/white color may take a 'medium' rubbing compound to buff it out. I'd start with a light compound though and work up. You'd really be surprised how much 'sun damage' can be buffed out.

I'm not sure if you like the black wheels. I'd go with a more 'silver' or something a little less dull. Aircraft stripper is cheap and paint is cheap. Just doing the prep takes time. But it's something you can do on a budget for sure! Didn't include it on the list. Not sure if you are a fan of the flat black.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the tips man. It's running pretty good but I am planning on a tune up and I need to replace the axles. The paint is pretty faded I haven't gotten a chance to do anything about that yet. I don't mind the black wheels but they are a bit scratched up. Might just respray them black. Question for you are there any stiffer decent springs that keep the stock ride height? I've had a slammed civic before not wanting to do it again. On the bumpers I actually worked on that today some. If the plastic is faded you can use a heat gun and go in circular motions on the plastic and it brings the shine and black back.
Before

Middle

After. I need to go over them one more time and ad some armor all but they look way better

Oh got some amber corners to it too.

As far as lips go any civic one fit? I saw something about a Volvo one somewhere.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and the tip I know! Actually it's kind of a joke. My wife's cousin who is into muscle cars bought them for me. It's an actual labled fast and the furious exhaust tip. I slapped it on there for ***** and giggles. It's coming off soon. I'd like a nicer looking exhaust but want to keep the stock sound.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tofast4usupra
Oh and the tip I know! Actually it's kind of a joke. My wife's cousin who is into muscle cars bought them for me. It's an actual labled fast and the furious exhaust tip. I slapped it on there for ***** and giggles. It's coming off soon. I'd like a nicer looking exhaust but want to keep the stock sound.
It lights up right? Haha. I saw that at the store before. $12 for an LED exhaust tip!

Anyways, stiffer springs at stock ride height. hmmm. I'm not sure. I wouldn't go 'slammed' but a 1"-1.5" drop is pretty common for stiffer springs.

Progress Springs are pretty fair priced. 2.0" drop over stock though. ($178, probably cheaper through their vendor on this site though)
http://www.progressauto.com/products.../productID/308

Eibach is more expensive ($300) but will give you a 1" drop instead.
http://eibach.com/america/en/perform...ion/buy-online

Tein ($250) are advertising a 1.5" drop
http://www.tein.com/products/s_tech.html

Should be able to find something used in the market place though. Finding 'stiffer' springs at stock ride height may be close to impossible.

Anyway, good work so far on the bumpers. I'd just remove the paint on the wheels, prime, sand, and repaint. Should look fine.

As for lips, here you go:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...&highlight=lip

There is a search function up top. I typed in 'lip' and that was one of the first threads. I know I saw it recently. Should be everything you'd ever want to scroll through.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man. Guess I'll just have to go adjustable coil overs then.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I REALLY want your steering wheel!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol thanks. It's been sitting in my garage for close to ten years now. Never really thought I'd own another civic but I held on to it anyways and I'm glad I did
Old 07-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want you seahawks flip flops!! Go hawks!!

Sweet price on that car. It looks ten times better already!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Speaking my language teams looking good I could see then going two years in a row. It does look a lot better and I still haven't put any money into it raises the corners and a battery. Thinking it needs a dohc though
Old 07-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking my language teams looking good I could see then going two years in a row. It does look a lot better and I still haven't put any money into it raises the corners and a battery. Thinking it needs a dohc though
And.........................we're off!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thinking it needs a dohc and a turbo though
This will be him next week.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol te supras got enought boost for me and I like the civic and the way it handles but man is it doggy. I remember the integra having a little zip. Looked at the mini me swaps and I just don't thing sohc will cut it. I'm thinking the best route for me would to find a wrecked da integra and swap the b18 and what ever else I can yank off it to fit. Of course I got to get the supra out of the garage first and then put some time I to the wife's forester