Notices

My Hatch and CRX

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My Hatch and CRX

Decided to play it somewhat safe and trailer the hatch to the tire store for an alignment. It isn't that far, but the car currently has no tags, no insurance, no inspection, loose suspension links. If something happened, I'd be in deep do-do. I said somewhat because my car hauler has no tags, I use the tags from my camper when I use it.

Went ahead and got their lifetime because I've had this car so long, who knows if I'd ever get rid of it. All the guys who worked there were pretty young so they came out to look at it. Looking at the before and after, it aligned pretty nicely.

When I brought the trailer back to the storage lot, I was reminded how much I hate backing it empty. The only time you can see it is when it's too late.

Last edited by asianflava; 09-15-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, I hope all the pics are working. I went thru the thread and fixed them because the guy who was hosting them took his site down. I went ahead and got a photobucket account for them.

Started work on the front of the CRX. Took the wheels off and got a pleasant suprise. Tokico Blues were already on the car.

The whole purpose of the work was to replace the axles. They were clicking when I bought the car, but figured it would be an easy fix since it is such a common problem on cars with over 100k. When I was test driving the car, she told me that the mechanic said that the aftermarket wheels was causing the noise (yeah right).

The axles were shot. I got new ones from Advance since they only cost $10 more than the remanufactured ones.

While I was at it, I went ahead and did a brake job. The pads were pretty thin so it was a good time. I removed a pair of powerslots from the hatchback because it now has Corrado rotors. Had the Powerslots turned and they were good as new. I didn't get to finish the brake job because they gave me the wrong pads. I'll swap them tomorrow and finish it up.

I also replaced the shift bushings. The originals were in good shape and probably didn't need replacing. Of course I didn't find this out until I had already removed them. I've already gone that far, I may as well install the new ones.

I also did an oil change and replaced the trans oil. I dunno what they had in the trans, it may have been MTF. But it smelled funny to me, plus it was really thin. Replacing axles is one of my least favorite things to do because of the grease all over the place, this used to be easy work 15 years and 60 lbs ago, now it wears me out.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clean *** hatch
Old 09-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man all good mods! lovin this thread. the hatch looks awesome!

how's the ac workin for ya on the rex? is there a noticeable difference between when it's off and on?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
man all good mods! lovin this thread. the hatch looks awesome!

how's the ac workin for ya on the rex? is there a noticeable difference between when it's off and on?
It's workin' great, I took it out the other day when it was 90+ outside and I kept it on low. Having the car in the shade probably helped a lot because it wasn't like 130 inside to start with. If you mean noticable in power, it's just like all the other Hondas I've had. A real slug when the compressor when is running, just hit the a/c button before you pass or merge.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got back from the parts store, they did give me pads for a 91 CRX Si, but apparently mine is different. I compared the pads they gave me to the pads I took off the hatchback and they were the same.

Luckily, I bought them from my go-to store and they were able to find the right ones. This is a store where older guys man the counter, they know how to use books and cross reference parts. At some of the other stores, if it isn't in the computer, then it doesn't exist. The bad thing is they have to order it from the warehouse and it won't be here until tomorrow afternoon.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No posts in a few days, I went camping last weekend. Here is a pic of the brake pads. The one on the Left came out of the hatchback, it is also the one the parts guy gave me when I went to get pads the first time. The new one's Carquest p/n was BCD273 C=Ceramic. The one on the Right was what came out of the CRX. The new one's Carquest p/n was BMD373 M=Metallic. They didn't have the 373 in a Ceramic or organic, I was stuck with the metallic option. It also cost $18 more.

I was also going thru a box of stuff and found my old Mugen hat. This hat was given to me by the parts manager of the Honda dealer when I was in High School. They ran a CRX in the Firehawk series so he knew what worked and what didn't work for CRXs. He also gave me huge discounts on OEM and aftermarket parts.

BTW: Some guy manning the Toyota truck booth at a car show gave me the Toyota hat when I told him that I have a Tundra.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I removed the tint from the CRX, breaking one of the defroster lines was bound to happen. I was finally able to see which ones got killed due to an errant razor blade. Luckily, I only killed 4 lines.

Bought this kit at Advance today.

It only included one small stencil (the white paper next to the box, but I needed several. I used packing tape because it lays down and sticks well to glass. Fine line tape would probably have been a better choice though. Masked and painted the lines, the conductive paint dries pretty fast on the brush so you have to work fast. I'll find out tomorrow morning to see how well it worked.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice projects
Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love it! major EF love there... It inspires me on my freshly purchased 91 CRX... Your brakes look amazing behind those wheels. Hows it stop? I just bought DA Integra rear discs for my CRX and am heading to the local junkyards on Saturday looking for EX knuckles or Integra DA's to swap out my dinky front brakes.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoo Hoo! scored a set of JDM Bass tubes for the CRX. Just happened to check eBay and saw a set with no speakers for a decent price. Having no speakers also cut down on shipping from Japan. Got my fingers crossed, hoping that I don't get screwed.

I'm looking into copying them to sell. In my research, folks used wet layups to copy them. I think I have a more viable way to copy them which will come out cheaper. I'm in the process of sourcing the parts to make the machine to copy them.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn lookin good. I just worked out a deal locally for a rear disc swap (everything needed) for a 12" sub in box, new remote start and a nice amp. Can you say GREAT DEAL??? Or am I steeling from this guy? Anyway it was his choice.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by asianflava
The trailing arms were off the hatch so it was easy to get to. I basically beat them out with a maul and beat them back in with a little grease on them.

Here's a vis clip I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPTDzrxqoOo
this is 4door4life aka brian
Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for that video! can't wait to see the bass tubes
Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Polished, clay bar'd, and waxed the CRX. There wasn't that much of a difference considering all the labor involved, but at least the paint feels smooth. Trying to get it ready for a CRX meet that is going on in town.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

well done. keeping it clean
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple weeks ago I noticed that the B-pillar trim was loose. I checked it out and the part that holds the clip is broken off. It must have been broken for a while because there was already double stick tape underneath it already. It probably came loose from the opening and closing of the door.

I bought some 3M trim tape, it says that it is "Super Strength" so I hope it does the trick.

I put a few squares of tape underneath and clamped it. I'm gonna leave it overnight, hopefully it does the trick.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was a nice day so I went out driving around. Since the CRX was all waxed up and shiny I went looking for a good "photo opportunity".

I took the hatchback out to a carwash around midnight last night (it has no tags or insurance). I sprayed the engine compartment down with Foamy Engine Brite. I only waited 5min instead of the recommended 15min. Sprayed it down with the high pressure rinse and it started right up. As long as you don't put the nozzle directly on the electronics/electrical components, you should be allright. This is probably the 4th or 5th time doing it on a Honda with no ill effects.

It's not as clean as the CRX engine compartment, but it looks a lot better.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude nice build really clean efs. and i love the old skool mugen trucker, wish i could find one in a box of my stuff lol
Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe i missed it, but did the rear defroster repair work??
Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was able to fix most of them, but there was one that didn't. I was planning on reapplying the conductive paint, but I never got around to it.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I posted another thread asking about those cheap lips on eBay. They are only $18, but with shipping they come out to $50. I was curious so I bought one to see what it was all about. It came in today first thing I thought was, it's not polyurethane, it's polyethylene. The same plastic that the factory lip is made of. Other than that, there isn't much to it, it's just a lip. It included screws, but not the trim tape needed to stick it on. Luckily, I have some already (bought it a few posts up.)

The lip came in today, big box but super light.

Took it out and checked it out. It looks like a CTR lip. I do have furniture in my family room, but I shampooed the carpet today.

Went out to the garage and clamped it to the CRX. It looks OK, but I haven't decided on wether or not I was gonna install it. The fit isn't terribly bad, but I want to see what it looks like on my hatchback before I make a decision. The sides are straight and the CRX is concave, that can be remedied with a heat gun though. Ohh the paint on the CRX is nice and shiny in this pic! Sorry the lip is a little dark, I think the white paint threw off the metering.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice lip
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that lip doesn't look bad at all...!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asianflava
I posted another thread asking about those cheap lips on eBay. They are only $18, but with shipping they come out to $50. I was curious so I bought one to see what it was all about. It came in today first thing I thought was, it's not polyurethane, it's polyethylene. The same plastic that the factory lip is made of. Other than that, there isn't much to it, it's just a lip. It included screws, but not the trim tape needed to stick it on. Luckily, I have some already (bought it a few posts up.)

The lip came in today, big box but super light.

Took it out and checked it out. It looks like a CTR lip. I do have furniture in my family room, but I shampooed the carpet today.

Went out to the garage and clamped it to the CRX. It looks OK, but I haven't decided on wether or not I was gonna install it. The fit isn't terribly bad, but I want to see what it looks like on my hatchback before I make a decision. The sides are straight and the CRX is concave, that can be remedied with a heat gun though. Ohh the paint on the CRX is nice and shiny in this pic! Sorry the lip is a little dark, I think the white paint threw off the metering.
Doesnt look too horrid.
where at in Colorado you from ?

Quick Reply: My Hatch and CRX