Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My Hatch and CRX

Crispy, looking good!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i´d like to put those breaks into my EF...good luck.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice cars dude
Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beansandrice

Those are clean cuts! This is how its done. Not all sloppy. How did you do this?
I think it was a holesaw, honestly I don't remember because I cut those holes 12yrs ago. The reason why I'm not sure if it was a hole saw is because I don't have I don't have one laying around.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

clean
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Worked on the hatch yesterday, I managed to get the stuck brake line out by dropping the tank. I only loosened the straps, didn't really remove the tank. Installed the last trailing arm, as usual the 2nd side took half as long as the first. I also fought the parking brake cables underneath and got them hooked them up to the handle (what a PITA).

With the exception of hooking up the Goodridge lines and bleeding, all the work underneath the car is finished. I've still got to do the master cylinder and proportioning valve. That will have to wait since I'm gonna see Rush tonight. I was listening to tonight's setlist while I was working on the car and for some reason "Temples of Syrinx" stuck in my head.

Anyway this is how the car sits for now. It will probably sit like this till I can afford to get some 15's for it. The 14's won't clear the front caliper.

Last edited by asianflava; 09-19-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Fixed pic
Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lookin good!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thw wife was pissing me off last night so I went to the garage to find something to do. I cleaned up a reservoir on a spare m/c booster set from a Teg. I didn't want to deal with the booster so I just went the EX m/c route instead. Didn't get a before pic, but it was really nasty and black inside.

I also removed the pressure relief valve from a spare compressor because the one on the CRX was opened. Yep there are 2 o-rings, I was looking for a replacement.

I installed the PRV and put the system under vac. Gave it a small charge and used the sniffer to see if there were any leaks, everything was OK. Started charging the system and noticed that one of the fans wasn't turning on. This probably explains why the PRV popped open, pressure got too high because there wasn't enough airflow across the condenser.

Last edited by asianflava; 09-19-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorted thru my stash of parts and found a fan. Went to see if it was the correct fan, but of course it wasn't. Inspected the fan that wasn't running and found it unplugged. Plugged it in and it ran like a champ. The previous owner had some radiator work done and I'll bet that they forgot to plug it back in.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Worked on the radio in the CRX. Only one speaker in the back would play. Pulled the radio and speakers and found a real mess. Whoever installed the stereo obviously didn't know what they were doing, all the connections were done with the twist & tape method.

Ended up installing a different radio out of my stash, one that plays mp3 CDs. Also got a new harness from Best Buy because the one in the car was hacked up. Got the rears working but still have to figure out the fronts.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finished up the radio in the CRX. Whoever installed the radio cut the factory radio harness really close to the plug, I had to fix that to get the front speakers working. The fronts don't sound very good because they tried to put a 6.5 in a 5.25 hole, there is no fron to rear isolation. Removed broken amplifier and some neon that was installed in the foot wells.
This is all the junk I removed from the car:

I also went to the car wash and cleaned the engine bay with Gunk.

Last edited by asianflava; 09-19-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 08-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoo Hoo! My brake fluid just now arrived from Hoerr, now I can break in that power bleeder that I got for Christmas. Also got the bottle from Hoerr because it ended up being cheaper than the Motive one.

I finished the CRX just in time for me to go to work on the hatch. Now if only my wheels would arrive... the ones UPS lost on the way here.

Last edited by asianflava; 09-19-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Fixed Pic
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Changed out the Master Cylinder and Proportioning Valve, connected brake lines, and bled system.

Started by hooking up the fittings to bench bleed the master cylinder. One of the fittings broke so I had to go on the hunt for another one. Three stores later, I got one and finally started. Removing the m/c was pretty uneventful, the whole operation went pretty smoothly. I kept the minimum amount in the new one because I figured that I'd have to tilt it to install it and I didn't want to spill the fluid.

Then I started on the proportioning valve, once I got the harnesses out of the way, removing it wasn't too bad. I removed the 2530 and installed a 4040. I was reconnecting the last hard line when it decided to fight me. The line went to a bend right after the nut so the nut couldn't move up and down the line. I was afraid to cross thread the nut into the valve so I took my time.

The forcast said that it was gonna be hot again tomorrow so I went ahead and continued at night. It tried to use my power bleeder, but it kept leaking on me. I bled the system with a catch bottle on the bleed screw. I ran the fluid thru the old line till it turned blue, then I installed the new one and connected it to the caliper. I was trying to keep the old fluid from entering the new calipers. Got everything connected and bled. I'll probably just check the car for loose nuts and bolts tomorrow.

I'm just waiting on my wheels to get here so I can take her out for a test drive.

Last edited by asianflava; 09-19-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone came to my wife's office at work and asked if she drove the White CRX. She said, "yes, I do now." because we just got it about a month ago. He commented on what great shape it was in and offered to buy it. She told me that it kinda cracked her up.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Lol nice.^^

It's looking good so far.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought a set of speaker adapters for the CRX on eBay. I've used adapters from the same seller (maker) for my Tundra. They are made of some kind of plastic which looks to have a foam core. I like these better than MDF adapters because they won't be affected by moisture.

Didn't get any before shots because I hit them with spray foam right away. I foamed the gap between the 2 plates to isolate the front wave of the speaker from the rear wave.

It's a tight fit but everything fit fine and the window rolls up and down with no problem.

The previous owner used the factory 5.25in adapters for these 6.5in speakers. The fit was crappy and the speaker basket wasn't sitting flat on the adapter. The basket was also getting warped.

Here is the speaker in it's new home sitting flat with no window problems. It sounds so much better.

Last edited by asianflava; 09-19-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice Work! Btw any tip on the trailing arm bushing removal and install? I might replace my bushing soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The trailing arms were off the hatch so it was easy to get to. I basically beat them out with a maul and beat them back in with a little grease on them.

Here's a vis clip I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPTDzrxqoOo
Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought a set of Slipstreams off a guy on another forum. Not my first choice (maybe 3rd), but they are still pretty light and the price was right. So we agree on a price and he sends them to me. When they arrive, only 3 of the 4 are there. You can see the loose straps where the 4th wheel came out. UPS takes them back, which means I'm out my money and I don't even have 3 wheels to show for it.

Contact the seller and he had to get a hold of UPS lost & found. They find the wheel in Atlanta and send it to him in Michigan, now all 4 wheels are together. We figured that since it was their screw up, UPS would reship them. Nope, they try to get the seller to foot the bill on shipping again! On a small item it's no big deal, but they cost $110 to ship. The UPS Store also said that they wouldn't ship them unless they packed them for $50. I bought them for $310 and they want shipping twice plus packing; $310 - $110 - $110 - $50 = $40 the seller would only make $40 on them which isn't right.

After talking to the UPS Store, they finally agreed reship the wheels for free, but they still had to pack them. I agreed to go half with the seller in order to just get this over with. After 45 days since arriving on my doorstep the first time, all 4 finally came back.

Put 2 on to see how they look and to check caliper clearance. Found the rear hub loose. Tightened the 32mm nut but it still wobbles. I'll have to look into it some more.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I just got an e-mail from the guy who hosts my pics. After 4 years, he's shutting down his site. I'll try to find another place to host them and get them back.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man that pinstripe kills the whole car lmao
Old 09-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BrayzieEF9
man that pinstripe kills the whole car lmao
Funny that you should mention the pinstripe, I was just looking at it and was considering removing it. The tape is peeling and coming up, I just wonder if there will be a ghost stripe in the paint if I do remove it.

I did some work on the hatch, installed the old AEM adjustable cam pulleys and set the timing again. Also installed the compressor tensioner and belt. Since I have an underdrive pulley, I had a hard time finding a belt that fit. It took 3 tries to find a belt that fit, the 305 was too big, the 275 was too small, the 285 was just right.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Trial User

Love the CRX... I am building an 89 Hatch from the ground up. I pulled all wiring and interior as well. The gas tank is gone and I will be looking for new stuff to put on her. Any ideas as far as where to get certain parts or what kind of motor and turbo to put in her? I have quite a project to do... I am pondering the idea of turning it into a 2 door hardtop convertible but not sure yet or the T-Tops a lot of work i am sure but I am down to nothing but bare metal right now and starting my bulid...
Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The hatch finally saw the light of day. Rechecked a few things last night, replaced the plugs, and drained the oil. Got a new filter today and finished it up. Drove it around the neighborhood a little bit. It needs an alignment big time. I'll get the alignment before I do anything else. The links are just hand tight right now. I'm still concerned about getting it smogged because it smokes when you get on it. I hope that goes away after I get some miles in it.

Quick Reply: My Hatch and CRX