Notices

my F23 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my F23 build thread

Hey everyone I just started my new motor swap and wanted to share it with my new forum. I've had a few swaped crx's in the past but my current CRX has been dying for a swap for some time... It still has the original Si motor in it, and at 150k miles I did a mini-me head swap, flat top pistons from a dx, a cam, blah blah blah, Im at 170k miles now and this motor is really really tired so out it goes! Heres the old motor ewww

Engine bay is starting to clean up! I would have cleaned it a long time ago if I knew there was shiny yellow paint under there

heres the f23a7 odyssey engine next to the d16

Im using a Bisimoto f/h to D adapter plate, heres a shot of it and my cheap *** new clutch XTD FTW! haha, we'll see how it holds up

And the money shot, this is when I thought it was actually going to fit without notching, wtf was I thinking, this thing doesn't fit at all!

The engine needs to be about 1.5" closer to this frame rail than it sits in this pic. Basically I have to line up the factory tranny mount on the passenger side then move the drivers side frame rail in to clear the extra length, so long story short, like redzcstandardhatch told me in the first place, there is no F'n way its gonna fit without cutting, damnit!

Im trying to use the least aggressive method to get this frame rail out of my way, Theres a few ways to make clearance but the best way I could come up with was to cut a slit in the bottom of the boxed rail, massage the metal (hammer it really F'n hard) untill it clears, and then weld the seam back up.

After a lot of hammering this is where I am

Engine is getting really close to fitting between the rails with the stock tranny mount lined up. still needs to move another 1/4 towards this rail and it looks like the only thing in the way is the very back of the timing cover, Im going to have to extend my cut and hammer a little more.

Well those were the first two days of work, I have bruises, blisters, a sore back and cannot wait to work on it more, I will keep this posted as the swap moves along, thanks for looking
Old 03-11-2007, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: my F23 build thread (AK_CRX)

Very nice, good luck
Old 03-11-2007, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, a f23 into a crx.... and i thought k swaps were the thing to do now.... **** im still d powered and plan to stay d powered unless i get a full b swap for like 200 bucks, haha....... looks nice though, sawz-all that b****, hammer and weld. gl on the build.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe he is doing something similar https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1824166

good luck on the project!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, redzcstdhatch is the man... If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have known about the frame notching. I've been following his build, always nice to find somebody to network info with when theres litterally two write ups of f to d EF's
Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AK_CRX)

In for the watch! What's your projected completion date?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90LSpimpin)

and in alaska of all places. good luck man
Old 03-11-2007, 05:16 PM
something different

haha

looking good man..

always a fun projecdt
Old 03-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

oh ****!!!! another F series EF terrorizing the neighborhoods!

subscribing to this one too.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: (STREETWERKZ)

could you use some of the h series hasport mounts for the ef chassis on this one?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gospeedgo1)

no, if you use the hasport mount kit you have to use an f/h tranny... This is the alternative to the f/h mount kits. By using an f/h to d adapter plate you retain your D series tranny and clutch, two of your original d series tranny mounts, factory shift linkage, factory axles.

Just another funfact I've come across on this build is that the stock front tranny mount is not useable, even though you are retaining your stock tranny in stock location the adapter plate is in the way of this mount. Once I get the drivers side mount fabricated I will figure out exactly what I will use in place of the original front tranny mount and I will show all the pictures
Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is great. Im loving the popularity that the F series is picking up! Good luck! :subscribed:
Old 03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice. I'll be following suite shortly
Old 03-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

awesome
Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my F23 build thread (Bense)

Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahhh a block warmer plug...my CRX orginaly came from Alaska...sold new in New Mexico...made it to Northern VA and then finaly in my hands...strange trip

After a lot of hammering this is where I am

Look to the left it looks like your frame is bleeding. J/K

Nice build (subscribed)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A cool swap thread for sure. I just did the F22B DOHC swap into my Accord, it goes like hell over the single cam i used to have, i can only imagine what it would be like in an EF!

It's got the same shortblock as your using, but comes with an H23 head for extra power which you could easily still do if interested. Here's a shot of what the engine looked like before it was installed

Old 03-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully new updates and pics today, I really want to get the frame rail to clear today. Also soon Im gonna pull the crank pulley off and see if an s2000 pulley will fit on since it's smaller and just has a spot for one belt. If that doesn't fit I'm gonna see about getting the outer pulley cut off the factory pulley. It sure would be easy to go aftermarket but seen bad things happen from those like shearing the key slot and getting bound up, bad vibrations, etc.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AK_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hopefully new updates and pics today, I really want to get the frame rail to clear today. Also soon Im gonna pull the crank pulley off and see if an s2000 pulley will fit on since it's smaller and just has a spot for one belt. If that doesn't fit I'm gonna see about getting the outer pulley cut off the factory pulley. It sure would be easy to go aftermarket but seen bad things happen from those like shearing the key slot and getting bound up, bad vibrations, etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>
cutting the factory pulley will get u those bad vibrations too
Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man that is one tight fit, I'll definitely be watching this build.
Deetz how many miles were on that engine that thing looks spotless?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Kudos to you for doing something different. Will be checking this one out regularly, make sure you post updates!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Gear Dog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gear Dog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Deetz how many miles were on that engine that thing looks spotless?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Engine had on 32,000 kilometers which is about 20 thousand miles. Its amazing how much of a difference in power the upgrade is
Old 03-14-2007, 05:31 PM
ESP-net

Default Re: (Deetz)

Is there anyway this swap could be more user friendly...without the notching of the frame...I like the idea...possibly making some custom mounts and 2 axles for throwing it over towards the passenger side more... I wouldn't think anyone likes the notching of the frame...it just needs a lil more engineering and fabricating to make it a great kit...

Good project by the way...
Old 03-14-2007, 06:01 PM
something different

Default Re: (ESP-net)

a buddy of mine in michigan did the h22/d16 trans a while back (probably the first to do it, over 2 years ago).. and he moved the whole engine/trans over 1/2 so he wouldnt have to mess with the frame as much..

it works.

factory axles too

i dont want custom axles because i want to be able to pick up parts like that anywhere, and i wanted factory mounts to work, well, because i did.haha

any updates ef F D bro?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

Im gonna need some kind of pulley, The pulley is clearing as it sits right now, but needs to move over atleast another 1/4" and there is NO WHERE for the frame to go!! at this point the outer layer has been pushed all the way up against the inner layer of the beam and it will still need to move more to clear the stock pulley. S2k pulley doesn't fit, anyone have a pic of the bisi pulley? I'd like to find an f pulley that has one groove and takes a narrower d-series belt, that would be ideal.

Quick Reply: my F23 build thread