Notices

My 91 CRX build thread... Everyone is doing it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My 91 CRX build thread... Everyone is doing it...

Originally Posted by manuelmayhem
that enamel is looking good
Baked at 350 degress for 10 minutes or until golden brown! lol Yes, there are some good heavy duty spray enamels out there that look good. Thanks for the props! lol
Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnviedByMany
Duude, hahaha what a small worlld.
i have everything the complete same.
same color. same condition. except
i got some fender damage and a hole on
my front bumpr due to the last driver :/
didnt really appreciate hondas, but he did
maintain his daily driver. Sick on hoping straight
to the brake upgrade. imma try and get the
GSR front calipers with Brembo Drilled and Slotted
rotors with the EX knuckles. and the DA trailing arm
as well in the rear. Whats next bro! :] wanna see where
this goes. im trying too turbo my D16a6 at the moment too
Thanks for the comments bro! Currently I am working on the front brakes. I found a complete set of 91 civic EX brakes still on a car down at my local PicknPull. That is the next step... clean/rebuild and I will be posting pics of the fronts once I get one side cleaned up. I have them all broke down and have been soaking some parts in some Superclean degreaser. I should have them wrapped up this weekend... hopefully. Also... at the same PicknPull the EX tranny is still in there attached to the motor... half tempted to pick it up too since my Rex is a DX.

You are boosting your D16a6? not many tuning options for you other than basically a FMU... In your case, yes I would prolly be scared to turbo it too. My last EG civic had 235K on with a 14B turbo running 9psi on CromePro... Ran like a champ! also got 33mpg's everyday of the week. A properly tuned turbo car is just as safe as a NA car. BUT... That was OBD1 with tuning options. I'm ditching the D15 ASAP for a D16Z6 or Y8 and doing a 75.5mm Vitara build on it. We be soundin like diesels soo! lol Here is a pic of old my EG ... I know.. I know... not an EF...
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This look slike an fun project! keep us posted!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wreckin-rex91
Thanks for the comments bro! Currently I am working on the front brakes. I found a complete set of 91 civic EX brakes still on a car down at my local PicknPull. That is the next step... clean/rebuild and I will be posting pics of the fronts once I get one side cleaned up. I have them all broke down and have been soaking some parts in some Superclean degreaser. I should have them wrapped up this weekend... hopefully. Also... at the same PicknPull the EX tranny is still in there attached to the motor... half tempted to pick it up too since my Rex is a DX.

You are boosting your D16a6? not many tuning options for you other than basically a FMU... In your case, yes I would prolly be scared to turbo it too. My last EG civic had 235K on with a 14B turbo running 9psi on CromePro... Ran like a champ! also got 33mpg's everyday of the week. A properly tuned turbo car is just as safe as a NA car. BUT... That was OBD1 with tuning options. I'm ditching the D15 ASAP for a D16Z6 or Y8 and doing a 75.5mm Vitara build on it. We be soundin like diesels soo! lol Here is a pic of old my EG ... I know.. I know... not an EF...

Dude you brought a very good point.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Trial User

I recently bought a CRX. $ 600 to take and driving unregistered. Mine was the mother of all covers, I found it a bit difficult to source. I had already fallen out there RSG
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I should take some pics tonight of my trailing arm bushing drama. I really like the Energy Suspension inserts... the way they look. On the other hand... I really do not like having to take apart the whole OE bushing and getting all the old rubber out.. just to get the original metal collars and mounts to reuse. Lameness! hahaha! A torch and sharp knife are your friends for this occasion!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

trailing arms are lookin fresh and good luck with the bushings. but this build does need more pictures so I can get motivated as well lol. On a side note i had an ej1 coupe that looked almost like yours, till i did the necessary body work to it haha.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by prelude182
trailing arms are lookin fresh and good luck with the bushings. but this build does need more pictures so I can get motivated as well lol. On a side note i had an ej1 coupe that looked almost like yours, till i did the necessary body work to it haha.

I know, I know.... I need to take more pictures. I have not been doing too much and removing an intake, battery, misc clips and bolts don't really, IMO, need to be posted since the visual aspect is not there. That is why we follow threads right! For the juicy pics! When I yank the motor out in a week or so, I will definitely take pics.

Now I am wondering what to do with my engine bay. I am up in the air.. I want something different and not the same color as the car. The bay will be tucked like nobodies bidness, but paint scheme has not come to me yet. My colors are black and red... saw some baller floormats the other day and thought the engine bay might look good like this... hahaha!
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you want the engine bay checkered? lol, itll definantly be something new. I too am debating what to do with my engine bay and its soo hard to figure it out.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Help him pick a good color scheme, the outside of the car will be the 2005 Acura RSX Magnesium Metallic.

The inside metal is black, with probably black interior, although the engine bay I'm against black engine bays due to the fact that every little spec of dirt shows.. so

Although to do something different, everyone sprays their engine silver, why not spray the engine block black?

that might look scheweet with a grey engine bay, the same grey as the evo without metal flake.

I dig this!

Acura RSX Magnesium Metallic exterior
Black Interior
Dark grey engine bay semi two tone contrast to the outside of the car
with a black engine with black fuel hose, and black AN fittings!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am liking this very, very much! I have actually lost sleep over this mind delemma.... retarded.. I know, but non the less I have been throwing so many ideas around in my head. I like this... Black engine... black fittings... contrast the black engine with a splash of color on the valve cover and intercooler pipes.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... I have been out in the garage a couple nights this week just tinkering around with the CRX. I am ready to pull the motor our other than just unbolting the engine mounts. The whole front end was assembled on Thursday and this is what it looks like about 2 hours later. Feeling good about getting the motor out.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright... its been a while but we are back in action and making progress. Finally borrowed my neighbors engine puller and done got that POS D15B2 out of the rex. (no offense to those who like the DPFI and the B2.... it sucks!) Next step is to get the engine bay cleaned up, wires hidden, smoothed out, etc and get it painted a nice non metallic dark gray. Today was good and its not over yet!
Attached Images     
Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! its been a while since I posted last. I should take some more photos and post them up! I have the engine bay all stripped down and cleaned. I am taking the seam sealer off to prep for welding. I need to get all those old, unused holes welded up.

On a funny note, I found a pic of my old EF hatch I had back in 2005 and thought I would post it up! lol
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks to me like youre making good progress on your rex. wish i had enough room for a engine hoist in my garage. keep us posted!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Check out my RD-1.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by prelude182
looks to me like youre making good progress on your rex. wish i had enough room for a engine hoist in my garage. keep us posted!
Thanks for the encouragement.... I just have not done anything that I think is very note worthy to post. I have cleaned the engine bay all out and got all the wires into the car. I need a welder! Then I can get my engine bay cleaned up more.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So yeah.... its been a while since my last post. Busy holidays, family and work. Need some more time, but I did start working on the engine bay. Got it all sparkly clean with some SuperClean and then started sanding. I am going to smooth out some areas in the bay, not a full shave... not as important to me as it may be to some, but noticeably cleaned up and smoothed out. Here is a pic of progress. I will take some more when the light is better tomorrow. Werd
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great Crx man. Im currently working on the CrX my grandfathe rgave me bak in md summer. These are great cars from what i know of them. Im dropping a d15b VteC-ed (not mini-me!) with a stage 2 cam.. Your goin to have a fast Rex.. but? .. daily driver or weekend ricer?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CrX15b
Great Crx man. Im currently working on the CrX my grandfathe rgave me bak in md summer. These are great cars from what i know of them. Im dropping a d15b VteC-ed (not mini-me!) with a stage 2 cam.. Your goin to have a fast Rex.. but? .. daily driver or weekend ricer?
Thanks! I could not agree more... these are excellent cars and even the new CR-Z is still slower than the original D16a6 SI.. lol. CRX FTW! Take good care of your Rex, it will last a long time.

My car will not be a daily driver... well, let me rephrase that... As long as it is sunny, it will be on the road. No rain for this one as the wiper motor and wiper arms are removed.

Good luck with your D15-V, I am doing a build D16.. Z6, Y8 and even considered the Y7. Vitara build and lots of health boost.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AND the saga continues! Man... I hate how holidays, work, being a responsible father etc gets in the way of building my car! I have done some work in the engine bay getting it ready for paint. All the harnesses are in the car, about half the engine bay holes welded up for the semi-shave bay I am going for. Here are some pics. I got the all the brake lines out of the bay also as when it all goes back together, it will be hidden/shaved so you will not really see much of the lines at all.
I will post some more up as I weld more and get ready for primer.

So photos are failing.. will try again later
Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so my plans have changed with the motor... I figured I would make way more power with a build B18B1 and it would not really cost any more. I picked up a complete B18B1 with an extra head for $100... BOOM! Cheaps! So I have one A1 head and a B1 head which are identical... The only things missing were the cam gears and alternator bracket. I got both those things on freebay on the cheap. Here is a pick of the block all stripped down. Going to the machine shop soon. Putting in Eagle H-beam rods and forged low compression 8.5:1 pistons, either Wiesco's or SRP's. Pistons will be a slight overbore... going to 81.5mm.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, that was a shot of the motor all broken down from last night. Here is a photo of what I got from my buddy for $100.... Even got the better OBD2 B18B valve cover...
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And more pics of some holes I welded up in the engine bay. Cleaning things up a bit considering the EF has so many holes in the bay.... funny thing is half of them were not even used. Gotta love that!
Attached Images    
Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love the crx i have one i am currently working on i have to get ride of all the rust on it hop to have it all off by this weekend i hate rust.

Quick Reply: My 91 CRX build thread... Everyone is doing it...