Notices

My 90 D16Z5 CRX

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 B16A1 Glasstop EDM CRX

Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for many years and noticed it as one of the best places for many technical issues on the web. As my very first car was Honda, I haven't changed the brand till now. Back to the topic, this is my red 1990 CRX ED9 D16Z5 DOHC which I bought 3 years ago in Germany from the first owner and brought it back to my country (drove 1500km back home through 3 countries). But it was worth, as it had almost nodamage all around. I got the technical certificate for driving the car in my country the next morning without doing any repairs at all.

It had a rear EE8 VTEC spoiler, stock EE8 VTEC R14 wheels, very rare armrest also from EE8 and some other tiny parts as a RAID steering wheel and some aftermarket stereo. It had never had an accident till today and has the original red painting. The interior was also in mint condition, as well as everything else. Pics from the ad on the web. Actually I was saying to myself "never buy a red CRX", but after I saw the condition I stopped doing that Also one of my biggest dreams was a K20 CRX, but that was only a dream for a student, as the engine alone costs here about 3000$.

The first step was the R15 lightweight alloy wheels with proxes h&r springs, new timing belt, belt bearing, water pump, oil, spark plugs, ignition wires, fuel and air filters, ignition coil etc., just all the necessary things for everyday use. Also bought new TOKICO gas shocks and ferodo brake pads with new brake fluid.

Later on took out all the stereo and bought stock stereo mountings for doors with stock speakers and new Clarion MP3 unit. Also covered the steering wheel with natural black leather as I didn't like the old red color and It also looked a bit rice, having in mind, that I like clean cars instead of those with tons of shiny and cheap plastic stuff. Plus painted the valve cover into black matt as it lacked some original paint and painted all brake calipers red after putting all new cylinders and bushings. Bought new red sunroof, as the old one was starting to show some rust, which is normal for almost all CRX models of that year. Installed 4-2-1 exhaust manifold from d16z6, as the 90-91 models were with lamda sensor and catalyc converters (which is still on the car and working). Welded new stock exhaust tips. The old rims were changed into te37 replicas made in italy, 6.4 kg each with new goodyear eagle f1 tires. Also bought oem steering column bushings, because it started making some noise. I think most of you have already done that two Some pics

Everything was fine till the day when I was driving at about 20mph and my engine started making unpleasant noise. It led me to a 1500$ engine rebuild. The problem was a faulty cracnkshaft bearing on the 4th cylinder. I guess it was because of the oil pump, which had a tiny scratch on it's plate. But it's just a guess. So I bought all the bearings, polished the cracnkshaft, the cylinder head and the block, all the valves, pistons and etc. Bought both cylinder head and block OEM gasket kits, washed the block and head in e special fluid, cleaned the intake manifold, oil can and also took the oil pump for repairs. New belts and other parts were installed as well. Installed new clutch kit. Bought the EE8 VTEC door panels, installed electric windows. Installed Mugen non-slip pedals as the old ones were getting very slippery. Some pics from the engine rebuild and other stuff.

As I use my CRX mostly for weekends (my daily is accord), one morning I woke up and thought to myself, why shouldn't I do what I always wanted to? And the result is laying down in the corner of my garage, waiting for all the additional stuff to be bought. That's all for now, hope you liked my tiny rebuild of the best car in the world Promise to update after the swap begins.

Last edited by Taiperas; 03-11-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 90 D16Z5 CRX

and with the big bro

with friend's h22a lude (just check all the other cars on the lot :lol: I usually feel weird driving Hondas here as the majority of cars are german

Last edited by Taiperas; 01-04-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bad *** crx!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:27 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Car looks great.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just LOVE CRX'S!!! and yours an example of why!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow u have a nice rex
Old 01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pi Ka chuuu
wow u have a nice rex
Yeah, awesome dude!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like your wheels, could you tell me who makes them?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for nice words.

These wheels are made in Italy and are sold here by one of the tires&rims shop. There is no exact name for them, probably because they are replicas and they copied a well known design. Couple of friends are using those too and they do fine on track cars during events. I ran into some deep pot holes some time ago and took the wheels for check and alignment, there were no damage at all. And the most important things is, that they cost 500$ new, so it's not a bad price for wheels which are really strong and light.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DOHC D16Z5 is pretty much the same as DOHC ZC which i just swapped in my hatch lol and what are you going to do with your D16 it looks in good shape. whats the mileage?
and going K series is going to cost you alottt
just mounts hydro clutch conversion and jumper harness are going to be around 1000(usd)
cars really clean keep us updated..
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMefHATCH7
DOHC D16Z5 is pretty much the same as DOHC ZC which i just swapped in my hatch lol and what are you going to do with your D16 it looks in good shape. whats the mileage?
and going K series is going to cost you alottt
just mounts hydro clutch conversion and jumper harness are going to be around 1000(usd)
cars really clean keep us updated..
yes, just the difference, that we havo no sohc CRX here, only dohc or dohc vtec. I'm putting hassport mounts, AEM EMS (or will change it to K-pro), karcepts shifter box etc etc and I know the prices very well as well as I`m thinking of rollcage, as it's going to be a really fast bucket. My old D16 is going to be sold as a full swap, because it's hard to find one here in good shape, and this one was fully rebuilt using new piston rings, bearings, oem gaskets, cleaned, polished all around and has made only ~1500 miles after it. Though I`ll only get about half the money I`ve put in it, but it's still something, as I wont be needing it no more.

Last edited by Taiperas; 01-05-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

nice rex
Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice dude, i didnt see any crx's when i was in lithuania... as you said, allllllll german

When are you starting the swap?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sammy Po
nice dude, i didnt see any crx's when i was in lithuania... as you said, allllllll german

When are you starting the swap?
Hope to start in March, as it takes time to get everything and I do not want it to sit in the garage for months. I want to get everything what I need and to put it all together in 1 or 2 weeks.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a very clean crx.im in the procces of rebuilding a zc same as what you have in your car.my motor was pulled from a car in running condition.so i wanted to make sure all was good with it before installing it.the only issue with it was the number 4 rod bearing on the cap side had a little wear.other than that everything looks good.wish i could do a k swap that would be nice.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just seeing your CRX makes me wanna keep mine red
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kmt63
thats a very clean crx.im in the procces of rebuilding a zc same as what you have in your car.my motor was pulled from a car in running condition.so i wanted to make sure all was good with it before installing it.the only issue with it was the number 4 rod bearing on the cap side had a little wear.other than that everything looks good.wish i could do a k swap that would be nice.
make sure that cracnkshaft has no damage, as I had to put 2nd stage bearings on mine after polishing. Good luck with your engine. I think that ZC has a lot of potential for building N/A monster, but N/A projects are always the most expensive and every little HP puts a smile on your face
Old 01-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jimmy o.
just seeing your CRX makes me wanna keep mine red
yeah, I have changed my mind about reds also. Its funny, because I have been searching for a black ED9 for months and finally ended up with this
Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Taiperas
make sure that cracnkshaft has no damage, as I had to put 2nd stage bearings on mine after polishing. Good luck with your engine. I think that ZC has a lot of potential for building N/A monster, but N/A projects are always the most expensive and every little HP puts a smile on your face
yea im going to measure it.the crank looks perfect.no scratches at all.but i will check it and make sure all is good.i agree.these motors could make some decent power.im not doing much to mine.i just want a reliable daily driver that has a bit of power.over my crappy d15 it will be a nice bump.down the road i might get some cams and do some head work.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

lol your crx looks just like mine on the outside
the only difference is that I have motegi rims made in china
Old 01-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kmt63
yea im going to measure it.the crank looks perfect.no scratches at all.but i will check it and make sure all is good.i agree.these motors could make some decent power.im not doing much to mine.i just want a reliable daily driver that has a bit of power.over my crappy d15 it will be a nice bump.down the road i might get some cams and do some head work.
It will sure be a huge bump. Especially I love the sound of DOHC engines, two cams do their job here, hehe
Old 01-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marcos Barrios
lol your crx looks just like mine on the outside
the only difference is that I have motegi rims made in china
PM me some pics, I'd like to see that
Old 02-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some updates after a long time, wasn't actually using this car for about a year because I was away from my country. Body got full restoration last summer all around and tricoat Milano Red R81 (8gen type-r). Bought new coilovers (not installed yet, will lower the car much more), full new bosal exhaust (stock), passed tech. inspection 100% and now it sits in my garage till the snow dries out. can't wait to take it to the streets and sea side with sunroof open. by the way, K20 was cancelled and all the parts including engine were sold for some personal reasons (mainly wanted to keep the car stock as possible and thinking about another project).

Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like.
Best regards from Portugal.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sold the last suspension setup and bought some custom built race ready H&R coilovers (stiff as hell). thnx God I am not using this car for more than 1000 miles a year so it's not a big problem. Also installed a set of new window visors (no pics of those). Went to a limbo competition and got under 3.61 ft (lost to a del sol with ~8 dudes on the car outisde + 2 inside). I had zero people on the car as I care about my bodywork more than the other guy did

some latest pics

Quick Reply: My 90 D16Z5 CRX