Notices

My 1991 Honda Civic SI Hatch (EF)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My 1991 Honda Civic SI Hatch (EF)

Just fill it up and drive it. If a "full" tank only gets you 150 miles or less, something's up; but if you get over 200 miles, I bet it's fine and your gauge is off.

e: maybe keep a gas can in the back in case you run out after only 50 miles
Old 04-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pico
could there be a chance that the fuel gauge
thinks it's about half full when it's really empty?
Yep. The sending unit uses a floating piece on the end of a bar. Sometimes, they seize up in certain spots and don't want to go up or down, causing the fuel gauge to always read the same. I've seen situations where they won't go down past a certain point, but will go all the way to the top just fine. Making it seem like your car never goes below a half a tank.

I would just fill it up and keep driving it. Over time it may free up. At that point though, the question is - why is it seizing up? Could be gunk in the fuel tank of some sort, or could also be rusting on the inside; which is not fun to fix.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

glad u got her started
Old 04-29-2017, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE -

The car has been running perfectly since I got it to start a couple weeks ago with adding gas to the tank.
It definitely seems as though the fuel gauge is having issues. The fuel gauge will raise up to full when I
fill up the tank, but I haven't allowed it to drop to less than a half tank ever since in fear that a half tank on
the gauge actually = no gas.

I'll do what a couple of you have suggested though, and push it to see if I can get 200+ miles from the tank.
I know the tank is full because of course I can't pump any more gas into the car. Just filled it up again today.

Also! I had to replace the oil pan today, so I replaced the oil pan (which was 10 x harder than anyone else
made it seem).. almost had to drop the damn Transmission just to do it, but managed to use a dremell tool
to cut away a piece of the lip of the oil pan that was rubbing against the flywheel, but it fits perfectly now.
So far no oil leaks, no more black oil in the car, and the Hatch is running as though it's 1991 instead of 2017.
Also adjusted the throttle cable since it was loose, and low and behold.. NO MORE BOGGING ISSUES!

So.. for many of you I see who have issues with your older Honda bogging especially hard in 1st and 2nd
gear, you may want to check your throttle cable. Mine was loose so what it was doing was coming undone
from the little groove thing that it wraps around. I'll take a picture of it in a little while for those of you who
don't understand what I mean. Now the car is running beautifully! I couldn't be happier!

1990 Honda Civic Hatchback SI (EF) ED6
Old 09-23-2017, 02:52 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey just found ur thread. No more updates over the summer? That is a sweet lookin EF!

Thought I would mention, my CRX also is out of gas when the gauge reads just under half a tank. It has a Walbro 255 in it and I've assumed something is wrong with the pickup. Does yours have oem pump?

Because when completely empty, I can only get about 6 gallons in my tank, and it should hold at least ten.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks bro, I appreciate it. The EF has now become my daily driver since I unfortunately totaled my MK5 a few weeks ago.
She's running nicely, but still has the issue with the gas tank and what you're describing is exactly what happens with my EF.
When the gas gauge shows just under a half tank, it means I better get gas or I'm about to run out!

And it's weird because if I put gas in it at that point, only about 6 gallons goes in.. aside from that though, she burns oil a little
bit and still has the original D16A6 motor in her, but I plan on swapping the engine out eventually.. still can't make up my mind
if I want to save a little more and go for a K20 (which is what my friend that passed away wanted) prior to me getting his car,
or if I should go the cheaper route and get a B18.

Originally Posted by 2x0
Hey just found ur thread. No more updates over the summer? That is a sweet lookin EF!

Thought I would mention, my CRX also is out of gas when the gauge reads just under half a tank. It has a Walbro 255 in it and I've assumed something is wrong with the pickup. Does yours have oem pump?

Because when completely empty, I can only get about 6 gallons in my tank, and it should hold at least ten.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:47 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

B18 might be a good starting point since they bolt in fairly easy. From what I've read the K series are more of a challenge, especially if you ever want to boost it.

Weird that we have the same gas issue! I assumed it was due to the walbro, but I guess I won't know until I have reason enough to pull the tank and check it out. 6 gallons right now lasts me several weeks since I hardly drive the car, even on e85, so it doesn't bother me much.

The first time it happened though I found out the same way as you. Started cutting out on an on ramp, then acted like it was going to die every so often. I barely made it to a gas station because it was 10 miles to the nearest one that has e85!
Old 09-29-2017, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also had a white Si hatch with this issue. I solved the problem on my own a few years ago without buying a full OEM pump assembly. It has to do with the filter sock on the bottom of the pump falling off, which reduces the amount of gas the pump can see by not being in the bottom of the tank. The parts peoples list the wrong one which causes the car to still die even if you replace it, so the only one that works is one for an 1988 CRX DX with the part #FS121. Check out this thread from ancient times, it's incredibly detailed: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...rched-3024291/

The part is less than 20 bucks but you have to remove the tank to replace it. I would always stall at half a tank every single time until I replaced it with the correct part, which is FS121. I forget where I bought it, might have been Amazon. I can run my tank to literally a gallon left and it's been 5 years since I replaced the part.

While you're in there, pick up a foot of high pressure fuel injection hose and just replace the hose above the pump. It can also cause issues like this.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:19 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

^ amazing info. Adding this to my to-do list. Thank you.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed!

Originally Posted by 2x0
^ amazing info. Adding this to my to-do list. Thank you.