Notices

MT CRX Build and Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MT CRX Build and Swap

Well she turns over.. But the main relay clicks really fast before i try to crank it... Realized I had no gas in it haha, so we will try again soon.

So my traction bar is on.. It replaces everything in the front middle... So yeah I broke out the cutoff wheel and cut the front end off haha.. Looks pretty clean to me The bar mounts where the tow hooks are and has mounts for a half size radiator, and an intercooler.

Last edited by mtflyboy25; 11-08-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool! Looks like it will help with rigidity, too, perhaps.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I am sure it will. That thing is ridiculously sturdy.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ordered a new Throttle Position Sensor. Lifetime Warranty from Dorman via Autozone. $46. 00. Seemed worth it to me. It was in stock at their warehouse, but was apparently nabbed by someone else before they got to it for me. So now one is on order for the 6th of July to get here. I will then be picking up the TPS, an alternator belt, radiator fluid, hose clamps, and anything else I can think of. Which at the moment feels like a spare main relay, some more solder, some heat shrink, because I am NOT wrapping everything else I do in tape again, and some bolts from ace to bolt my new battery tray down. Maybe I will pick up some honda white while I am at it...and the material to scrub it all down of course.

haha I will use this as my list since i can see it on my phone lol...

Paid For:
TPS - $46

Need to grab at Autozone:

1 x Alternator Belt
4 x large hose clamps
2 x small hose clamps
1 x Radiator Fluid
1 x Main Relay
1 x pack of solder -maybe
1 x 1-3 ft of heat shrink
1 x lighter or mini butane torch
3-4 x bolts to put battery tray in
1 x something to hold battery on
1 x pack of sand paper for painting
4 x cans of Honda white matching paint - passenger fender/front bumper, touch up spots...

I cant wait to see this hood by buddy picked up. I wonder when he will be able to bring it down for me. He said it looked great. No latch, so I can lose some more weight and clean my bay by getting rid of all the hood catch and release parts...
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Autozone Rewards, bro. If you space your trips out by two hours, you get a point for every purchase over $20. At 5 points, you get $20 of store credit. It's a good deal.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Crx is turning out good.Gl with the build
Old 07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetsideStig
Autozone Rewards, bro. If you space your trips out by two hours, you get a point for every purchase over $20. At 5 points, you get $20 of store credit. It's a good deal.
I know! Haha its pretty good.

Originally Posted by SlowDA9teg
Crx is turning out good.Gl with the build
Thanks!

So what do you guys think???? Should I get a skunk2 mani or a edelbrock performer x?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtflyboy25
So what do you guys think???? Should I get a skunk2 mani or a edelbrock performer x?
id go with skunk2
Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i think i will
Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Decent update....

So lots of work has been done... Um.. Yeah... Carbon Fiber hood is on... Hood pins are on and working... Passengers side is a lil tight but thats okay... It wont fly off if I go drive... Radiator hoses are on and clamped... coolant is in... needs a bit more I think for sure. Um.. Some of the gauges have been mounted. not really setup, just kinda mounted there...

So here are my problems haha.. Well fuel was um not pumping.. straight up jumped the pump and nada.. So a new pump from xenocron was sourced... 255 ltr/hr pump fuel pump. We put that on and wallah fuel in my lines and a leak at the brand new fuel filter. gah.. I forgot and couldnt find the copper washer.. Then I broke a bolt.. in the bolt...that holds the fuel line on the filter... Effff.... but i got it out and then tapped it back out. then found a copper washer for it haha.. FML.. So yeah then we try to start it and nothing...still no fuel... So now new NGK Iridiums, and new Duralast 7mm wires. Got good spark, nice and blue So yeah then still no fuel. The injectors have power, but they arent pulsing.. Wont ground out when it cranks like it is supposed to. GRRRR... So now we are trying to track that down. I think I might have messed up something in my wiring. Has to be the TDC Sensor, the Crank Sensor or the Cylinder Sensor right? haha... Well that is tomorrow... and I got to figure out a way to figure out how to get the gas tank mounted again.. bolt was rusted up and broke in half coming out..

So now pics..

I will hopefully have a video tomorrow for you all of the car running!

It does crank up when you spray carb cleaner down the intake...

Last edited by mtflyboy25; 11-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So we found a ground wire not hooked up... And I rewired the TDC, Crank Positiohn Sensor and the Cylinder Sensor... She started up and ran on her own... haha we all about crapped ourselves...

Now to tidy up and swap the knuckles back to 92 teggy ones..

oh and here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsttKP_Hxtg

Last edited by mtflyboy25; 07-27-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:36 PM
crazy mad murdock

this is how i got into crx's. bought one for 600$ sitting infront of a scrap yard and worked on it at my college dorm.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to be together enough for the race this weekend?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by csingham
this is how i got into crx's. bought one for 600$ sitting infront of a scrap yard and worked on it at my college dorm.
hhaha heck ya!

Originally Posted by PinkBatman
Going to be together enough for the race this weekend?

Which race are you talking about?

So here is the update... well i drove it today... just around the building... it is well not running right at all. I dont know if it is the crappy gas, or what. It idles pretty good, but when you put your foot down even slightly it stutters and almost dies then will start reving slowly and erratically...
I also have a tranny leak... bad gasket or whatever between the intermediate shaft and tranny... drops a decent amount of MTF when in gear...

We hooked up a bunch of my gauges.... Tach is workin, just jumpy and I dont think very accurate. I dont like it very much. We tapped in a new thermometer for the new water temp gauge, then found the old one haha. Um the Volt meter works, the speedo doesnt.. not at all. not sure how to make it work either... i have the input line running straight from the tranny.. it is electric, and nothing... Fuel gauges is not very good, moves all over the place depending on who know what. we will see if I can iron that one out..

So yeah I will hopefully be fixing those things and swapping my knuckles back over to the DA ones I now have Stay tuned!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtflyboy25
Which race are you talking about?

this one here
Old 07-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking pretty good
Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear you got it started.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn nice!! has come a long way keep it up!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great build, looking to start my build with my crx that i am hopefully getting this weekend. but great build. im going to keep a eye on this thread till that thing is done. Gl
Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wicked stuff guy,i dont know what its like to build a car in a parking lot of college,but ive been in the same boat with the sky above me at all time during...hats off dude ,keep it up
Old 07-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wire issues! Aren't they lovely? I wish they had figured out how to make carburetors as efficient as fuel injection.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like its running in limp mode is the cel on. If so wat codes?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PinkBatman
Nope... haha I am still in Colorado Springs at the moment...

Originally Posted by samoansi
Looking pretty good
Thanks!

Originally Posted by StreetsideStig
Glad to hear you got it started.
Yeah me too! I was sooo happy once it decided to idle on its own!

Originally Posted by 19si91
damn nice!! has come a long way keep it up!!!
Thanks and will do!

Originally Posted by blackhatch1215
great build, looking to start my build with my crx that i am hopefully getting this weekend. but great build. im going to keep a eye on this thread till that thing is done. Gl
Well I wont keep you waiting! I post lots and I work on it all the time!

Originally Posted by phatboycrxhf
wicked stuff guy,i dont know what its like to build a car in a parking lot of college,but ive been in the same boat with the sky above me at all time during...hats off dude ,keep it up
Man my buddies and I have done everything in the parking lot... This includes replacing a blown head gasket on a 89 supercharged mustang... 3 of us did it in under 8 hours Not too shabby.

Originally Posted by hondad6
Wire issues! Aren't they lovely? I wish they had figured out how to make carburetors as efficient as fuel injection.
Hell no! I hate all this wiring, but only because my swap had a backwards engine harness that was cut in several places, and because I started with no wiring in the car at all... Bad choice! As far as Carbs, hell no too! I hate them!

Originally Posted by tonythetuner®
Sounds like its running in limp mode is the cel on. If so wat codes?
Yeah my main honda buddy had been trying to help me with that.. Does it have limp mode? My 2011 Mustang GT does, but I didnt know the honda had it... I need to figure out how to get my stupid LED to work with me and light up with the computer to show me the codes.. As of now I havent got it to light up at all... Here is where I am confused and just thought today that I need to try it the opposite way.. Before I had been using the computer as the hot 12v source, and then grounding the other side.. I just thought today maybe it needs a 12v source and then the computer grounds it.. I will try this in the morning.

***UPDATE***
Went to Pep Boys today and got a new MAP Sensor, a cigarette lighter setup, the seal between the half shaft and the tranny on the driver's side, and the Genuine Honda MTF for it! I dont smoke, it is for the GPS! No I dont want to hardwire it lol.. So tomorrow should be fun. I am gonna switch the knuckles to 92 ones, hook up my MIL correctly, change the seal and fill her back up. Then I will check the codes, replace the MAP sensor with my new one (maybe), put the license plates I just got for her on, and then work on cleaning up some wiring!!

Also got oil change stuff for my 98 wrangler, new lift struts... Wow $32 a pop! But it is worth it since I am SICK of the back window falling and hitting me in the head! I also grabbed some more clamps. I need to take pictures of the gauges working... The whole swap.. Real hood pins working in her.. Ummm... Yeah the custom cold air intake my buddies made from me, but then decided they needed to sign everything they worked on. Not very cool.. But payback is a bitch... Hhahaha.. So stay tuned for lots of pics, maybe a video or two, and yeah.... Cross you fingers that she will be running right when I fill her up with new gas... Then on Monday she will be off to get exhaust thrown on!

Also bought two 5 point RCI racing harness' for when the cage goes in.. I dont want to die! And black housing headlights fogs and corners!

Last edited by mtflyboy25; 07-23-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, does anyone knwo how to get the speedo to work? I have aftermarket obviously....
Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found out what I am going to do for exhaust....But not telling yet aha... I bet I am the first though...

Pics that are new your enjoyment!

Last edited by mtflyboy25; 11-08-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: MT CRX Build and Swap