Notices

Motor swap needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap needed

Hello ht I have a 88 ef with a bone stock d15 tax returns coming up and I need help finding the right motor to swap I want something I can turbo once I get the motor before it goes in there will be cams crank rods pistons and valves done to the motor before it's turboed I wana work with 5k for the whole swap so I've been told to do a k20 or b18 or b16 I want easy swap because I'm mechanically inclined but this is my daily but I don't mind non stop work for 2 days
Old 01-04-2016, 02:26 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Motor swap needed

#1 Please learn to use punctuation effectively.

#2 You'll need to research.

#3 $5k is reasonable for D or B project, K series you might not be able to complete (research and you'll see why).

If you've never actually wrenched on or rebuilt an engine already I'd say get a hold of a 1.6 D-series and learn on that. If you have worked on engine internals before then B18 or B20 would probably be the way to go.

Again, research. The way you just spit out the list of things you want done prior to the swap leads me to believe you haven't done much research yet. Your power goals will dictate what's actually necessary to upgrade.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I think a D series would be better, with the edelbrock kit.
For 5k you can make 220 hp pretty reliable
Old 01-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done valves heads cranks and pistons in small blocks and what not but I've never touched a Honda more than head gasket and clutch and pistons and when you say d series what block? And also some one once said education I's important but I think going fast is importanter
Old 01-05-2016, 04:53 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should look into an ls6
Old 01-05-2016, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
#1 Please learn to use punctuation effectively.

#2 You'll need to research.

#3 $5k is reasonable for D or B project, K series you might not be able to complete (research and you'll see why).

If you've never actually wrenched on or rebuilt an engine already I'd say get a hold of a 1.6 D-series and learn on that. If you have worked on engine internals before then B18 or B20 would probably be the way to go.

Again, research. The way you just spit out the list of things you want done prior to the swap leads me to believe you haven't done much research yet. Your power goals will dictate what's actually necessary to upgrade.
He pretty much hit the nail right on the head. Only things I'd elaborate on or consider in terms of a swap.. If I were you, I'd find an early Integra that has been rear ended or sold cheap. Use the whole drivetrain, and get D->B adapters/mounts. D-series turbo is doable, but the stock bottom end is really wimpy compared to a B-series stock. LS engine from later Integras with a turbo in an EF would be a nice fun car- maybe even LS Vtec if you can find the right components. Keep all the little things in mind when pricing stuff out. I'm turbocharging an EF, and finding I need to replace a lot more than just the engine and slap on a turbo.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:22 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

^I'd agree with that. Given that you do know you're way around engines in general, you'll probably only notice (aside from the size LOL) is that you'll be working in metric and generally tolerances are probably going to be tighter. I'll second a B18 swap just for the many options you can take with it. Check the FAQ for swap guides and you should be ready to tackle it.