Notices

Motor has no compression!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor has no compression!

*NOTE* First Gen B16a in an 88 civic EF
My distributor went bad one day then I would keep starting it up to see if it would start. A week later i replaced it with a new distributor but now its cranking but sounds like there is no compression on my motor (It never sounded like this on my old distributor). I checked all the the sparkplugs and wires and they seem to be making spark now but the car still wont start...im crankin it up but still wont start... I put GM synchromesh oil into my cylinders to see if fuel was drowning the rings... Still wont start up or build up compression... Anyone have ideas to what it could be? I check if it was the distributor, wires, and sparkplugs and they seem to be workin normally. I also checked if there was any fuel goin through and it was running fine through the rail and injectors... anyone have any clue to what it is?
Old 09-20-2003, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor has no compression! (Lost Type R)

I might have missed this part but have ya tried a compression test???
Old 09-20-2003, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Motor has no compression! (Pooptooth)

Like he said, definitely do a compression test. Also check out the timing belt, and double check the cam timing.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor has no compression! (MrTodd)

alright i was there trying to fix the hatchback this is whats happened and whats happening now

happened
1. motor ran outta gas
2. distro died
3. car sat for a few days / weeks

happening
1. new distro
2. new spark plugs
3. more gas / new gas
4. everything has spark
5. sounds like the motor is making no compression like your cranking it with the sparkplugs out

happening today
1. doing compression test
2. i WILL get this car running
3. isnt that right dre
Old 09-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Motor has no compression! (importboi22)

Check your timing, do a compression test then and see what your numbers are. Sometimes when the distributor goes bad it causes slack or drag and the cam timing sometimes gets thrown off. So check the timing.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Motor has no compression! (90blackcrx)

anyone else have some more ideas? I have the same problem, but with my D15b2
Old 09-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck dre

So you ran out of gas?

Check fuel pump.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your timing, do a compression test then and see what your numbers are. Sometimes when the distributor goes bad it causes slack or drag and the cam timing sometimes gets thrown off. So check the timing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got 0 all across and how is it possible to check the timing if i cant even start the car?
Old 09-21-2003, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car does not start to do a compression test. Your pull the dizzy so it can't start and turn the motor about 4-7 times. The gauges should read some sort of psi measurement in the cyclinders.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lost Type R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Got 0 all across and how is it possible to check the timing if i cant even start the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You Motor needs 4 Things to Start

1. Air
2. Fuel
3. Spark
4. Compression

Are you sure that you have all of these things??? You compression Test is a Sign of either Bent Valves or Burnt Rings. Did you do the Compression Test then Add some Oil to a Cylinder and Check Compression again??

To check your Base Timing Pull your Valve Cover and Crank the Motor over by Hand and line up all the Timing Marks, make sure everything is TDC. If everything is TDC'd Start looking into other things, such as are sure your Firing order is correct?? Are you Sure you are getting Spark, It is possible to get a Bad Dizzy. Then look for Fuel.......If you find nothing wrong with anything get a Leak down Test done, its possible you have Bent some Valves.

Mike
Old 09-22-2003, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lost Type R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Got 0 all across and how is it possible to check the timing if i cant even start the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well rotate the engine to tdc, by hand. Then see if your cams are lined up the way there suppose to be.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im the guy that works on the car

1. every cylinder is getting spark and all the sparkplugs worked ( grounded them to the body to check
2. cylinder is getting fuel, we cranked the motor over a few times with the plugs out and misty fuel came up.
3. i did a compression test dry and got zero across the board.... i added oil in each cylinder and still got 0.... i know the compression tester works we tried it on my friends 240 right after that.... and got 90 only after 3 bumps so we know it works.
4. the only odd thing is this...... with the spark plugs out if i cover the spark plug holes itll suck my fingers down... but it wont push up or wanna push air out (compression) my dad was saying that its most likely a blown headgasket?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:17 AM
tpr

Default Re: Motor has no compression! (importboi22)

The cam timing probably jumped. When the crank is at TDC is the distributer rotor pointed to the number 1 plug. If not rotate crank 360 degrees if it still does not point toward #1 then its out of time. The cams must be aligned properly in relation to the pistons/crankshaft. If it jumped time at speed it may have bent some valves.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor has no compression! (tpr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tpr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The cam timing probably jumped. When the crank is at TDC is the distributer rotor pointed to the number 1 plug. If not rotate crank 360 degrees if it still does not point toward #1 then its out of time. The cams must be aligned properly in relation to the pistons/crankshaft. If it jumped time at speed it may have bent some valves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I was saying before. Great minds think a like
Old 09-22-2003, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i know how to check cam timing..... thats whats i was thinking bent valves were at the bottom of my list tho.... anyways ill take off the valve cover gasket and check it out .... if cam timing is on... then what is it then? blown headgasket maybe?? im not sure....