Notices

mini-me questions and several general CRX questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini-me questions and several general CRX questions

i have a 90 CRX Si and i had a couple questions. i have the D16A6 engine with a 89 civic dx tranny, and i wanna either do the Z6 or Y8 mini-me swap. i read that whole page about the swap, but i still have some questions. what exact parts do i need to complete the swap? ive heard some many different things im extremely confused. from the site i got the head, intake/exhaust/head gasket, timing belt, fuel pressure regulator, valve cover, and ECU. some people said head, intake/exhaust manifold, and vtec distributor or something. i dunno im jus really confused rite now. do i need to change my tranny? do i have to use the p28 ecu for sohc vtec, or can i use the performance ECUs i see for sale everywhere, for sohc vtecs and they raise the vtec crossover and rev limit? now for emissions, what should i do? jus replace my stock pm6 ecu?

now my more general questions:
1) eibach sportlines or eibach pro-kits? i heard sportlines drop the car more, but pro-kits are better..what do you guys think?
2) which intake? CAI or ram?
3) my speedometer doesnt work. it wasnt working several months ago, but when i replaced my 90 crx si tranny with a cheaper, longer gear ratio 89 civic dx tranny, it started working again. then jus recently, it stopped working...the actual cluster, the speedomter cable, or tranny?
4) has anyone heard about the ES sports exhausts? how are they?
5) how do i seal my leaking taillights?
6) with my stock shocks, if i get eibach sportlines or pro-kits, will the ride be bumpy?
7) is my engine MPFI?
8) my steering seems like its really loose. i dont have power steering, but any small sudden turn either way really jerks the car..what could the problem be?

umm thats pretty much all i can think off now, if you can help, please do
thanks
Old 03-31-2002, 10:07 PM

Default Re: mini-me questions and several general CRX questions (rasta420)

speedo- check your cable first, it might be coming out of its mounting at the tranny also if it seems it is all the way in check at the cluster, if both seem secure give the piece that plugs in at the cluster a slight tug, this is to check to see if the cable is broken or not, if the cable comes out then guess what it is broken.
leaking taillights- remove your light housing from the car and apply a thin bead of clear silicone to the gap between the two pieces
mpfi- look at the intake manifold, if it says dpfi or doesn't have 4 fuel injectors then it is not mpfi.
to the steering, have the car aligned the toe setting may be off(not too sure about this but try anyway)

[Modified by crxdx, 7:10 AM 4/1/2002]

[Modified by crxdx, 7:12 AM 4/1/2002]
Old 04-01-2002, 12:19 AM

Default Re: mini-me questions and several general CRX questions (rasta420)

Seems like you got everything you need to complete the mini-me setup.. When i did mine, i just swapped the head. No you dont have to swap the tranny, but Si tranny is a lot better. The exhaust manifold bolts right up. Intake manifold bolts with up. you got the right fuel pressure reg. I would recommend changing the water pump while youre at it. The only thing i can think of now is how you wanna activate VTEC.. I used a Vtec controller, and also tried using a switch... BUT its gonna feel a little sluggish with this setup, the pm6 ECU just doesnt have the right fuel mapping for a VTEC motor. Get the vtec distributor (this will also save the pain in the *** i had mounting the nonvtec distributor to the z6 head, i you get a y8 head you should be fine) vtec intake manifold w/ injectors.. this will allow you to use the p28 ecu, go ahead and use a perfomance ecu if you would like. For emissions.. good luck.
1) it depends what you want, sportlines for looks, pro-kits for handling.
2) the cheaper one
3) Sounds like the cable coming out of the tranny.
4) no idea
5) i know a lot of people with this problem. Check the seal in the back, there this little gasket like thing in the back of the tails.
6) I doubt that it would be bumpy, but stock shocks wear out.
7) yes it is MPFI, look at your intake manifold.
8) bad front suspension? sounds fine to me, just some tight handling.