Notices

Mini-me d16a6/y8 wiring info, (vtec & distributor)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-me d16a6/y8 wiring info, (vtec & distributor)

Ok, just to clarify, I don't want to convert to obd1 or at least not yet. I already have a 90 civic si and a y8 head. So I'm looking for information on a few things and information on mini-me's is usually all jumbled about on forums it seems.

- Can I use my d16a6 distributor on y8 head without modification (i've been told yes before...)

- I need to know how to engage vtec. I want to engage it with rpm. (I'm under the impression it normally engages by oil pressure. Or what else is the oil pressure switch for?) What pin(s) on the ecu do I need to wire to the solenoid?

- I'm going to chip my ecu. Would turboedit be best to use?

- Which timing belt should I use a6, z6, or y8

-Lastly, I've considered getting a vafc but I'd like to just chip my ecu for now explore all my options except going obd1 for now (budget build)

Thanks!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-me d16a6/y8 wiring info, (audiimportech)

You can use your A6 dizzy but 2 of the bolt holes won't line up so you'll want to get a Z6 dizzy, you can use a RPM switch to activate VTEC. You should be able to use the Z6 timing belt for the head.

I've heard of a lot of people using zdyne (if it's still available) when staying with OBD0.

Just a recommendation but converting to OBD1 and using Chrome is well more worth it then staying OBD0 IMO. It's not that expensive to do and in the long run your going to have less problems then if you stayed OBD0
Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Mini-me d16a6/y8 wiring info, (wickedEFguy)

Well if I use a z6 distributor then I would have to use a conversion plug to get my obd0 distributor plugs to plug into obd1 distributor correct?
Then I would have to get a conversion harness to run an obd1 ecu and would i have trouble with a knock sensor or anything else. I'm assuming I would have to buy a 4-wire 02 sensor as well. That's already like $200 I don't really have just laying around.

Where would I find an rpm activation switch and wiring for it?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MSD sells the RPM activated switches, not sure how much they go for now a days but I would assume around $70 plus shipping.

For the Z6 distributor you could easily soder in the new plugs from a OBD1 car. This is the same thing I did when I converted to OBD1 versus using a OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness to save on some money

If you need a diagram on how to do so look at this:

Old 03-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by audiimportech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">- Can I use my d16a6 distributor on y8 head without modification (i've been told yes before...)</TD></TR></TABLE> Yes, they share the same flange pattern. When you do move to OBD-1 you have the choice of using either the D15B7 Distributor or the D16Y8 distributor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">- I need to know how to engage vtec. I want to engage it with rpm. (I'm under the impression it normally engages by oil pressure. Or what else is the oil pressure switch for?) What pin(s) on the ecu do I need to wire to the solenoid?[/ecu] If you are no running Turboedit or another OBD-0 EMS you will need a simple RPM activated switch. Know this that even though the upper cam lobe has been activated, fuel and timing hasn't changed so power is fffffffffar from optimal.

[QUOTE] I'm going to chip my ecu. Would turboedit be best to use?</TD></TR></TABLE>For OBD-0, have at it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
- Which timing belt should I use a6, z6, or y8 </TD></TR></TABLE> If you use the D16Y8 tensioner you can use the Y8 timing belt.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-Lastly, I've considered getting a vafc but I'd like to just chip my ecu for now explore all my options except going obd1 for now (budget build)</TD></TR></TABLE> OBD-1 can be done on a budget if you do the wiring yourself. All you need is a distributor, ECU, and an Oxygen sensor and you're good to go.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make it obd1