Notices

My cars going threw alternators...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My cars going threw alternators...

well i changed my alternator and it's saying its bad agian. wtf? what would cause this?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Re: My cars going threw alternators... (.hatebreed)

What is saying it's bad? Did you have it bench tested or are you just going on battery consumption or something?

I don't know much about alternators, but I did just have to replace the one in my CRX a couple weeks ago. It didn't look very old at all. I was a little concerned that I could just break another one, but I guess time will tell. One thing I did learn in going through that process is that the ECU actually controls the voltage output of the alternator, so it can in essence choke it. May not be news to you, but I was kinda surprised.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:24 PM

i think you need to elaborate a little. your post is pretty vague. how was it determined your alternator is bad. what was the original symptoms and what have you done to remedy the problem.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My cars going threw alternators... (FlyZlow)

i dont think the ecu controls voltage, the altenator has a voltage regulator and that is usually what goes bad in honda altenators.

If i were you id get a new one from honda, you probably bought a vatozone rebuilt and thats probably why your eating them up
Old 11-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my cars gone threw 3 alternators in the last 2 weeks. one it just died and wouldnt charge. the other it was putting out 19volts this wont dosnt seem like its charging is it my car or what?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:18 PM

What motor? D-series or B-series?

Have you been WOT or just cruising?

Who put it on your car (i.e. is the person putting the correct tension on the belt).

Old 11-15-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where are you getting the altenators from? try getting an oem altenator! also check your fuse block to make sure you dont have any blown fuses.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you painted the engine bay or somehting like that make sure you scrape away the paint on all your under the hood grounds.

also make sre your battery terminals arent painted either.

its also a good idea to make sure the mechanic or you is using the proper belt tension, and not just making it as tight as possible, which is what most mechanics will do.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My cars going threw alternators... (doublethink)

D15b2 with dpfi conversion. Ive been doing both wot and cruising. I put it in and i leave enuff so the belt moves a little in both directions prolly a half an inch total movement. i got the alternators @ discount auto parts. My cars running off the battery when i take a terminal off the car dies. i checked my grounds they seem ok the only one thats kinda ifffy is the valve cover to rad support one. nothings really painted.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:11 PM

Crx came with either a Nippon-Denso or a Mitsubishi alternator, I found this when my alternator went out and the parts store gave me the wrong one. It turned off my battery light, but it wasn't charging the battery and it broke down again! Check on the old one which you have.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:55 PM

Default Re: My cars going threw alternators... (b16sellout)

The one I just broke was the Nippon-Denso. I have the mitsubishi now. We'll see if it does better.

The computer does control the charge that the alternator puts on the battery. I just went through this w/ my car. Look it up in the shop manual. The alternator does have a regulator and a rectifier, but the ECU ultimately decides what charge to put on the battery. May not be the same on his D15, but I know it is this way on the D16A6.

FYI - Like b16sellout noted, getting a "Honda" or OEM alternator means getting either the Nippon-Denso or the Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi alternator is what I picked up from autozone for about $100 w/ a lifetime warranty.

Also, I don't think pulling the battery cable while the car is running is a good test of the alternator. The alternator gets its ground from chassis. Pulling the battery cable opens the circuit.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My cars going threw alternators... (FlyZlow)

it was the alternators they were giving me i took one off a friends car. worked liek a champ. autozone and discount auto parts.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .hatebreed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it was the alternators they were giving me i took one off a friends car. worked liek a champ. autozone and discount auto parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Trust me I learned from experience do not buy Autozone altenators...I had to get one from PepBoys with lifetime warranty
Old 11-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My cars going threw alternators... (MR.RED'89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MR.RED’89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Trust me I learned from experience do not buy Autozone altenators...I had to get one from PepBoys with lifetime warranty</TD></TR></TABLE>

Autozone and Pepboys parts are basically the same quality, and autozone also offers a lifetime warranty on there alternators.