Notices

LS Swap Dead at 70MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Swap Dead at 70MPH?

Hey guys, I'm looking to have some ideas thrown at me as to what could be the cause behind this. I was going down the interstate steady at about 75MPH when out of no where the engine seemed to jerk a little bit just really quick and kept going, under a minute later it just stalled altogether. Still had electric and everything but no engine. I wish I remembered for certain but I think that the Check Engine light and Battery light came on. I only faintly think they were on, I was mostly concerned with not getting crushed by a semi.

So I pulled to the side and let it sit about 5 minutes while I popped the hood, first thought was timing belt was gone and my car was done (had this happen before!) but it was still intact. So I checked fluids and what not all good, no leaks, battery still connected and all plug wires were still tight. So I tried to start it again, turned to on position, check engine light flashed and fuel pump primed, so relay was working. No blown fuses, so I turned to start it and it cranks perfectly fine and just as healthy as ever but with no spark, no action. So we sat in the car for 45 minutes letting it cool down, heat gauge was barely up, tried to start it, nothing. Tried to push start it, nothing. Ended up pulling it home hours later, still wouldn't start. I had new tires put on and had a slight vibration up front if that could do anything.

Recent Work:
New spark plugs
New plug wires
Switched to Full Synthetic
New axles
New rims
New tires 205/50r15

I think that's about it. My initial thoughts are something with the distributor but I know nothing about that, new to the scene and have not swapped one or had it off.

Anyhow, I'm stranded out of town and jsut need some info while I have a computer ha ha! Thanks a ton!!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Swap Dead at 70MPH?

Have you checked for spark?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... no. Sorry I have to ask how ha ha?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check to see that the distributor rotor screw didn't fall out...also just curious as to what engine you have that gave you the assumption to run full synthetic instead of regular...!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a B18a1, no it does not leak. Anyhow, no disrespect at all but I need to figure out the other issue right now ha ha!! What screw are you talking about?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dizzy screw
+
rotor button
=
inside dizzy cap
Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BiG ChOr!Zo
check to see that the distributor rotor screw didn't fall out.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So am i just putting this screw back in if it is out or does it mean something has gone bad or needs replaced? Sorry I'm completely clueless with this and would rather not start guessing.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you see a screw lying around thats telling you to screw it back in
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ha ha... that makes sense, I just didn't know if it was one of those things that tells me that something else has gone bad or could be ruined because it fell out. Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sorry,but this thread is making me laugh.LOL
Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ha ha, that's fine, as long as my car moves again I don't care. I'll put lots of nice colorful pictures up when I'm done so no one else has to look like an idiot too. This is the first car I've ever worked on so I'm just here to learn as much as I can.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok have you confirmed that you have spark. Take a spark plug wire out stick a screw driver in it and ground the wire to a body ground or get a spark tester. Have a buddy crank it. That's were you need to start.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have not yet, I will be going over all the suggestions in the morning when I have tools. So say I have no spark, what is next in the troubleshooting chain?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say fuel check for fuel pressure... if your not mechanically inclined try jacking up the back of the car grab a hammer (or something you can swing with) and wack the gas tank at the same time have someone inside trying to start it sometimes if a fuel pump goes bad this will temporarily get it going again....TEMPORARILY ... like if it starts dont shut it off and keep your AAA card in handy
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ha ha, thanks for the input. I have a Walbro fuel pump about two years old, it's still kicking on and everything. How would I check fuel pressure?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know have to use a multimeter. If you have no spark next step is to check the main relay. This relay controls the distributors ignition control modual and the fuel pump.

Turn your keys to acc II the last position before engine cranking. You should hear a buzzing noise that will stop after about 5-10 seconds. If you don't hear this open you gas cap and have someone turn the key for you. Listen at the gas filler no noise most likely the main relay has failed. If you do hear a buzzy you main relay is most likely good and move on.

If you can use a multi meter take off the dizzy cap. 3 bolts hold it on don't take your spark plug wires out with out marking their position.
Inspect the dizzy cap the metal leads on the inside should be clean and not look corroded. Same the rotor, you will know what the rotor is just by looking at it.

Remove the rotor it has one philips head screw holding it on. It may be a bitch to break loose. Disconnect the ignition coil. Top piece on the dizzy with two wire going to it and a spark lead that has a wound spring. Remove it measure resistance (ohms) between the + and - it should be between 12000-17000ohms. If that is goo measure resistance between the + and primary winding. I don't remember spec on it ill look it up and post it up for you.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, and yes I have a background in electronics and computers that sort of thing so I can most def use a multimeter. Hopefully I can get my hands on one here. The main relay is working, fuel pump does prime. I have a spare one on hand because occasionally lately it has not kicked on. I jsut haven't taken everything apart to get to it unless you have a easy way to remove it. I can't get to the one bolt holding it in.

Thanks a ton for the specific info!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are near a tool or auto parts store you can get a fuel pressure gauge i believe honda has a specific one that you bolt on to the fuel filter...if you dont have access to that then grab some pliers and remove the hose that comes from your firewall on the drivers side to your fuel rail and have someone turn the ignition on if you see fuel gushing out then obviously your fuel pump is putting out someting again this is if you dont have the proper equipment...

to check for spark if you dont have many tools take a spark plug wire out and connect a spark plug to it when you crank it over you should see the spark (careful not to shock yourself it hurts...) after if you have spark after that then i would

Last edited by ef9ridda; 07-22-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: for got to add the "careful not to shock yourself it hurts" part...
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, I will try that out. So as long as the fuel comes out at all I can guess that fuel pressure isn't the main issue at least?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea its a bitch. I have wabble extensions which help and quarter drives which really help. Dumb location if you ask me. Good luck.

Also on hondahookup.com they have the factory service manuals you can download. All you have to do is register theirs no post req to download manuals. It will have the specs for the coil ignition control modual, removal and installation instructions and some cars etms
Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes. and again thats if you dont have access to the proper tools. without looking at your car thats the only logical explanation... also just to be safe inspect that the spark plugs did not come loose (inspect one at a time just to be safe) and see if you smell fuel on them after a few attempts of starting it
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, I will do that. If they smell like gas I am assuming that is bad. I will ahve to check out hondahookup, I'm sure that's going to help me being this is something I have not done yet.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check grounds...had same thing happen but wasnt going that fast but the car jerked and seemed to die but started right back up then bout 30sec later it shut off and wouldnt start back up...had power and lights wound up doing a bunch of things as i was in home depot parking lot at like midnite wound up being the ground on the thermo housing
Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if it smells like gas that means your getting fuel but there is no spark there to ignite it. in lamest terms...

Quick Reply: LS Swap Dead at 70MPH?