Notices

longer & longer starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longer & longer starts

cool mornings, or after a long period sitting (unless hot outside, then no problem) the car takes many many cranks or turnovers to start.

I do not run ethanol gasoline, spark plugs changed less than 30K miles ago, plug wires distributer, and rotor have been replaced about 2-4,000 miles ago

when the car starts, it is idling too low and I have to feather the throttle (gas pedal) for at least 30 seconds to get the car to idle. I live a minute north of florida so cold for this car is not really cold like up north at all

is the throttle cable out of place? electric choke bad? coil? fuel pump?

thank you so much for your consideration!
Very respectfully, MT1 Anderson
Old 05-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: longer & longer starts

What engine is it?
Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

sounds like its a tired one
Old 05-10-2018, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scelestus
What engine is it?
D15 stock, second engine for the vehicle.

Although the vehicle has many miles on it, the maintenance is kept up.

all filters, ignition tune-up components, changed regularly, & then new battery, CV joints, radiator, timing belt, alternator -the car runs perfectly, usually starts in less than 3 turns.

Despite 3 months dormancy every deployment, the car operates perfect when running, and usually starting (up until a few weeks ago, a couple of months after return from sea)

I drove it round trip 800 miles at 80mph (four speed standard) a few weeks ago to pic up some car parts, so I do not believe that the fuel pump is bad. I have replaced the in tank filter about a year ago.

It is a Daily driver when not deployed (usually 3 month excursions) Stabil, seafoam, marine gas (91 octane, Non ethanol gasoline) and the car has always started RIGHT UP after sitting while I deploy. I think the wife might have made some adjustments (within the engine bay) while I was deployed because the temp gauge is now kaput, and I had throttle surges for awhile (she changed the dash lights). She's usually very handy (does the oil changes when the schedule is so busy I work/sleep/work), and assisted me taking apart/reassembling the top half of the engine after the brother in law drove the vehicle with a blown head gasket 2 years ago.

Last edited by greymouser7; 05-10-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

So I'll assume you have the D15B2 and all it's tragic dual-point glory. My condolences.

The temp gauge is kaput? Wiring. The heat factor makes no sense but could be coincidental, so I'd suspect wiring first and foremost. You should have 3 engine bay grounds; valve cover, battery, and a bundle from the engine harness near the thermostat housing. Make sure those are cleaned up and tight. Any change in behavior?
Old 05-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the throttle cable go bad in mine, they're not that expensive. How old is the battery? Not that it relates to the idle issue, but has the main relay ever been replaced?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The week after the last post I did this work:
The wife had previously swapped the throttle body from my other 91' civic (while deployed) because the 'idle air control sensor?' on the driver's side of the throttle body, would not line up to the wiring.

When she did, she pinched the throttle cable over the clutch cable. I removed, re-routed, and re-installed the throttle cable.

I added two ground wires, and replaced the battery's negative terminal, I checked the distributer cap and rotor -(at only less than 10,000 miles were heavily oxided/corroded) and wire brushed them, and finally replaced the coil inside the distributer cap. Again the spark plug wires are new. I ordered another distributer cap and rotor. The wife changed the fuel filter.

The two plugs were platinum, barely white, and looked fine.

After this much work, the car turns over in about 2-3 turns so this is a tremendous improvement. Rain everyday after work.

a few weeks later the fuel pump died (yesterday)

I bought a Walbro fuel pump and replaced the old fuel pump. I believe that the fuel pressurized in the fuel line from the pump to the throttle body injector is losing pressure after sitting for a long while

the car starts right up and runs great, and dumps fuel out of the driver's side (vice front of the tank) fuel hose that has metal, flared ends (and a threaded connection) where the line is designed to separate. Am fixing that now.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It will not fix your problems, but you may consider throwing out the platinum plugs.
Although they last longer than copper and cost less than iridium, the platinum has the weakest spark.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

injector leak is reducing the pressure over night. try priming the fuel pump a couple times before actually starting. see if that makes it any shorter.

leaks in the injector is usually internal. you cant seal it. just live with it.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The particular fuel line that you unscrew, with a (2 bolt) bracket had the leak from the male screw in, metal line side.

i bought 3/8 fuel line, 3/8 clamps, and found a piece (at the auto parts store) that screwed into the line but was also a male/barbed end on the opposite side.

Teflon taped the threads, screwed it into the bracket side.

cut 2 & 1/2 inches of fuel line hose, slid it onto the male barbed end , slid the other/previous screw in piece back down the metal line, slid the fuel line hose over the metal fuel line and clamped it. Easy. For now.

further past the bracket end the fuel line hose takes a 90 degree turn from metal and looks awfully worn out...

it it runs great, but am going to have to change the cap and rotor because it still takes longer than 3 turns to start.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!