Notices

light grey smoke from exhaust help

Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light grey smoke from exhaust help

im not on here alot when i am i am looking at peoples builds. but i think HT is one of the better sites for information and for someone to actually help you.
make - honda
model - civic
trim - dx
engine - d15b2
miles - 214000

here is the situation, my car sometimes has light grey smoke coming from the exhaust. here is the weird part, it only happens when i go into reverse then you can see it but when u go into drive it does not happen. when i am cruising it does not happen. if i were to put my car back in park and then put it back in reverse it wont do it again. this has only happened one other time and it was over a month ago. so it is by no means a daily occurrence.

this is what i did today so
here is the scenario, i started my car, i let it get to optimal running temp before taking off. when i went into reverse i saw the light grey smoke. i finished reversing and i went into drive and there was no more smoke i went about 15 feet stopped and put my car back into park, got out looked at the exhaust and i saw nothing, and the car was running as smooth as it always has. by the way when this smoke happens my car does not act weird, it does not stumble, it does not want to die or nothing. i have absolutely no lack in power it feels how it feels from the first day i got it.

i understand this concept
blue smoke = burning oil
white/grey smoke = coolant or water entering the combustion chamber
black smoke = running rich
correct the above statement if i am wrong.
but if that were the case this would be an almost every start up occurrence

can someone enlighten me on what the problem may be.
yesterday i washed my car could it be some water got into the exhaust and burned up due to the heat.